air bubbles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlegrohl

Reaction score
I did a search the other day for something and ended up getting caught up in a different thread concerning Air bubbles.. which led to a couple of link upped threads about the same thing.. so i know there is already alot of info concerning this subject.. but nothing on mine.. (i think) and considering i was searching out something that had completely nothing to do with air bubbles i am starting to think i may have caught something..lol..

thing is.. before i read these threads, other then the occasional bubble i never suffered them..
would you believe since.. EVERY SET I HAVE DONE.. zone 2 and 3 have been filled with tiny bubbles??

I have a new brush.. it has only been used say 6 times..could this be it? its the only thing that i can think of?

normal brush and bead routine during application is..
I burp it.. wipe it initially.. im pretty sure my ratio is ok.. and i dont overwork the product.. my prep is A1 in my opinion.. and i usually go in to get my bead on a 45 degree angle and just gently nudge it on by pulling the brush slightly toward me..

hi chels:) if they have only been happening with your new brush then it would have to be this?
A new brush always is much 'fuller', especially if you dont change your brush till its practically dead like i do:lol:
So with that possibility in mind it could need more "burping" than you are used to? (as its fullness would be trapping more air)
Ratio is a issue for me with a new brush..is the bead looking and feeling like usual?..dont want to go through what you already know on that subject..unless you need to?
Before you pick up a bead maybe give it a extra burp to be sure and eye the monomer in your dish that bubbles aren't apparent?

thanks mJ..
i agree with what you are saying.. can you over-burp? see i have gotten into the habbit of burping this brush quite a bit during application.. pressing it flat and dragging it back up pretty much after every bead.. which in turn could be making my ratio a bit more wetter then usual.. not that i have noticed though.. but maybe that is also a problem..
It just seemed to need burping.. (if that makes any sense)
I know alot of techs say 1 1/2 monomer to 1 parts powder.. but i have always
worked by sight.. perhaps i need to place a few beads on paper towel to check my sight isnt off..

cheers for your input!:hug:

Do some beads to pratice your ratio. I find I need to have a little bit of a play around when I get a new brush. I usually do it on a forms backing paper so then I can see how much the dome flattens. I'd imagine if you do it on paper towel, that would absorb some of the monomer & effect it.

BTW Do you what a sec for your bead to settle before you start pressing it?

thanks mJ..
i agree with what you are saying.. can you over-burp? see i have gotten into the habbit of burping this brush quite a bit during application.. pressing it flat and dragging it back up pretty much after every bead.. which in turn could be making my ratio a bit more wetter then usual.. not that i have noticed though.. but maybe that is also a problem..
It just seemed to need burping.. (if that makes any sense)
I know alot of techs say 1 1/2 monomer to 1 parts powder.. but i have always
worked by sight.. perhaps i need to place a few beads on paper towel to check my sight isnt off..

cheers for your input!:hug:
I don't think you can over do..especially with a new brush that needs training.
I agree with beautynails about using backing paper rather than towel.
For me (like you) ratio is about sight and feel..especially useful if using a different monomer or if the weather is changing. Parts just confuse the hell out of me:eek:
If you are too wet the bead will have a ring of liquid and your control over it wouldn't be like usual (it would be ending up in the sidewalls while you are chasing it all over)..and of course you would be dropping beads off the brush into your powder.
And while on ratio's..too dry will create air bubbles,too.:eek: Hope some of that makes sense for you!:hug:

A further point that is often forgotten as well is to,

let the bead rest for a few seconds before you start to press it out. Maybe you are working just a bit too quickly?

Those few seconds make all the difference as you give your bead time to start the polymerisation process before you start pushing it around! :)

Thanks everyone.. I generally pull out my bead... going going gone.. then place bead...going going gone.. then start to work it..
this is sorta my mantra thanks tips i have picked up from here..

Yes i think i am definately going to have to do some bead practise just to get my head around the the new brush.. thanks for the tip on the form backing paper.. wouldnt have thought to use this..

cheers all.. :green:

what product line are you using to chels? I only ask because I brought a big pot of Intense pink and its turned out to be faulty, go back to the older pots I ordered a while back and its fine and dandy, same brush, same techinique, not a smidgen of air in the brush... huge probs with this new pot of powder.

what product line are you using to chels? I only ask because I brought a big pot of Intense pink and its turned out to be faulty, go back to the older pots I ordered a while back and its fine and dandy, same brush, same techinique, not a smidgen of air in the brush... huge probs with this new pot of powder.

thanks mate.. but i have had this perfect colour pink (creative) since i did my conversion.. i am just about to order intense pink and mosaic (custom colour) after playing around last night i realised that i may be working to dry.. this brush holds more then my last and i was overcompensating for it with the powder..

see how it pans out today now that i have tweaked my ratio a bit.. cheers all.:hug:

Latest posts

Back