Air conditioning for hair cabin

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmylou411

Reaction score
Hi all, sorry I know this isn’t a hair question. It wondered if anyone works from home in a log cabin by any chance and can recommend air conditioning please? I Have a cabin which gets very warm so need a cooling system but don’t know any good ones and if I’m going to spend money on one I want to chose right , many thanks x

I can tell you not to bother with a portable air conditioner. I bought a good quality portable air conditioner and fixed it up with a nice sealed outlet through a window. The model I bought costs just under £500 now and it heats and cools using air pump technology,

It’s brilliant when it’s not too hot or cold but it only works within a certain temperature range. On freezing days only cold air comes out and when it gets really hot (usually after a few days of hot weather) only hot air comes out!

I got a startlingly expensive quote to fit a proper air conditioner - I haven’t upgraded yet, I am trying to manage temperature as much as I can using natural methods.

During the day, check the outside temp. In the early morning the air temp is quite cool. Open the door and windows and blow as much hot air out to try and cool your cabin. Then as the temperature rises close the windows tight, pull down blinds inside and use a water cooled fan to create a cool air movement inside. A water cooled fan has a tank which you fill with cold water and ice or frozen cool box bricks. The fan circulates air over/through the cool water, reducing the temperature and blowing out a cooling breeze. You check the water temperature from time to time, topping up with ice/new cool blocks or fresh cool water.

Also try shading. Does one side of your cabin catch some sun? Ways to shade include erecting trellis and growing climbing plants up, or a pergola with vines to add interest and sun protection. A sun blind canopy or awning that you use for some days of the year, or a gazebo that you put up for a month or two. Hanging baskets and planting pots, kept well watered, will provide some shelter and long term a tree will help. Lilacs are quite shady and need pruning so they don’t get ridiculous big. Same for hazel trees - they send up lots of new growth from the ground and you just cut out old trunks as they get too big.

A water feature near your entrance can help if it holds enough water. If you Google you tube you can find ways to make a recirculating bubble fountain with a big bucket filled with water with a net full of pebbles suspended over the top, still leaving plenty of room for water. You add a tube and discreet electric pond fountain to create a recirculating trickle of water and then hide everything with a decking effect box or table, (maybe made from a pallet) with a cut out so the bucket drops into the top of the box/table. Then arrange more pebbles decoratively to hide the edges of the bucket and maybe a terracotta urn on its side, with a little statue and a couple of pot plants on some staging or steps so you’ve got interest from ground level up and voila.

Feeling cooler is partly by temperature and partly by experience- adding gauzy, floor length drapes, a gong or temple bell, and some wind chimes can work wonders for increasing your heat tolerance.

Latest posts

Back