Air Filtration System??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Welsh Geek

Reaction score
Hi
Can Anyone tell me what to do about Air Filtration.....
I opened my small salon just over a year ago, it is just a small upstairs, above a shop, I don't want to install a fixed system, as I do not own the premises..
I did actually price new desks with the systems installed, but was told these systems werent much good, besides I only had the desks made specially when I moved in and dont want to have to change them yet.

As I do acrylic nails, the salon has a strong odour and does get very dusty, can anyone please advise me on a good filtration system for a small space which will deal with both odours and dust.... and won't cost too much!!!

(or if anyone knows of any good filter systems that are for sale)

We have been wearing dust masks, but usually end up taking them off as they can be quite irritating,... also they dont deal with the smell.

Sue

Metal bins (with lids) will cut your odour in the salon by 70% - remember plastic is porous so the vapor just filters through - most of your odour comes from removing enamel from clients before performing their services!! As far as dust goes - you can obviously find out about various desks but a fixed ventilation system is still the BEST way to go (ventilate don't circulate) - it may not be your salon - I imagine there are only the odd few lucky enough to actually own - I would still work smart and have the correct systems in place... I hate to sound like a broken record:rolleyes: , but 'sculpt with your brush, NOT your file' - if you do this, dust is totally minimal!! HTH's ;)

actually you can install a WTAC in your desk. i think that's what they call it. Anna LaJourdie just installed one in her desk. i'm trying to find the pics. i can't find them right now. i e-mailed her and will post the info, link, etc...when she returns my reply

DesK vacuum's just don't cut the mustard I am afraid.

To test this comment, do serious filing in dark with one halogen type light shining upwards from floor. Dust is so fine it virtually hits ceiling. Desk fan's aren't powerful enough. More importantly you tend to need to cover them in operation for the clients comfort.

A number of German compaines do a dust extractor that sits on the desk and the vacuum is most effective as its at the point of dust creation as they are in the shape of an arm rest. LCN and alessandro both sell them over here. ( although they mainly only need them for people with bad chests as their products do not create the fine dust of the L & P systems)

Their is no subsitute for a proper air filtration/extraction system in the circumstances you mention.

The serious alternative is to move to a prodcut that create 70% less dust.

nonacrylicgel said:
The serious alternative is to move to a prodcut that create 70% less dust.
I really can't be too bothered to start sparring with you at this time and over this subject but HOW do you define this magical 70% figure you always mention? Surely if you create a super thick Gel nail then you have to 'file' it down to make it look perfect - thus creating dust!!! Exactly the same with L+P, but if you do a perfect job to begin with (which is also how we teach) then dust is totally minimal!! Gigi once did a full-set of L+P on me; they were so perfect she only used a 240/1200 grit abrasive to shape and finish - thus creating hardly any dust at all - where is this 70% thing coming from???? (BTW before you come back at me with the 'metal bin cutting down odour by 70% - that is proven and can be backed up)!

If you have tried this new Brisa are you telling me that when you file it the same amount of dust is created? because I doubt it.

The German products I have experience of as soft as a good natural nail and can be filed with the correct file with minimum speed or strength.

My personal experience of hard acrylic products is even minimal filing needs a degree of speed and strength producing more dust.

I don't want to spar. This is my expereince. I totally agree that the boss lady can produce a set of nails with next to no filing. defacto = no dust.

But obviously not everyone possess the same skills nor can they do this on 8 sets a day.

BTW the metal bin aspect is correct.

Mrs Geek said:
I really can't be too bothered to start sparring with you at this time and over this subject but HOW do you define this magical 70% figure you always mention? Surely if you create a super thick Gel nail then you have to 'file' it down to make it look perfect - thus creating dust!!! Exactly the same with L+P, but if you do a perfect job to begin with (which is also how we teach) then dust is totally minimal!! Gigi once did a full-set of L+P on me; they were so perfect she only used a 240/1200 grit abrasive to shape and finish - thus creating hardly any dust at all - where is this 70% thing coming from???? (BTW before you come back at me with the 'metal bin cutting down odour by 70% - that is proven and can be backed up)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back