Airbrush geeks.....I need your help.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nessahlove

Reaction score
I am dying to learn how to airbrush, I have seen so many of your beautiful designs in the gallery ( WOW some of you are so talented). I think they are so versatile, and profitable. I am a professional, renting my own space, use CN L&P and I'm really into colored/glitter powders and nail art, all of which i do. I would love to add this to my skills. I have searched the net....and i really don't even know what i am looking for or what I need. I could use your help please !!!
What are the best brand names, companies, or education? (i live in the states)
Do you need an airbrush that is specific to nails, or will any one do?
Can you mix and match different compressors to airbrush guns? (is this even a legitimate question? )
Can you use any paints (acrylic/craft) or do they have to be specific air brush paints?
Do you have to use a special top coat to seal and finish the design or will anyone work?
What products/ websites do you geeks use?
Nessah.

Hi Nessah, I've tried to answer where I can........

I am dying to learn how to airbrush, I have seen so many of your beautiful designs in the gallery ( WOW some of you are so talented). I think they are so versatile, and profitable. I am a professional, renting my own space, use CN L&P and I'm really into colored/glitter powders and nail art, all of which i do. I would love to add this to my skills. I have searched the net....and i really don't even know what i am looking for or what I need. I could use your help please !!!
What are the best brand names, companies, or education? (i live in the states)

I'm not sure who to recommend for training in the States, but if you can, get yourself booked on a class but if all else fails then Essential Nails do a Home Course for airbrushing which is ok, but quite basic - you'll learn more in a proper class.

Do you need an airbrush that is specific to nails, or will any one do?

I recommend either a Badger 100 or an Iwata HPB - my preference out of these two is the Iwata.

Can you mix and match different compressors to airbrush guns? (is this even a legitimate question? )

Again, you can't go wrong with an Iwata compressor - the small ones will do for airbrushing nail art.

Can you use any paints (acrylic/craft) or do they have to be specific air brush paints?

Acrylic/craft paints are a little too thick although you can water them down. I use and recommend Medea paints for airbrush nail art - very ease to clean out of your airbrush and a great range of colours.

Do you have to use a special top coat to seal and finish the design or will anyone work?

I'd recommend using a top coat specifically for use on top of airbrush nail art as you may have trouble getting scratches and streaks if you use a normal one - don't use a fast dry top coat, you'll have all sorts of problems!

What products/ websites do you geeks use?

DixieArt.com has a section for airbrushed nail art and it's based in the states, you should be able to find airbrush, compressor, and stencils etc. I'm not sure if they sell Medea paints. If you end up buying Createx paints make sure you clean your gunn immediately and thoroughly as they dry rubbery in the gun and will cause blockages.

Nessah.

Hope this helps a little.
Jackie

Wow thanks for replying so quickly!!!! I secretly hoped you would reply.....after i posted this i did a seach, (du!) you surly know airbrushing. I will check into the Essentail Nails course, at this point anything will help!! So definately iwata, and medea paints, you sounded certain on those. What exactly do you mean by medea paints?.....can you give me a brand name so maybe i could understand better and check it out online? (or wait is "Medea" the brand name of the paint?) What top coat do you like best? Im going to check out DixieArt.com straight away. Thanks again for the information...you rock .:cool: Any chance you could send me a link so a can look at some of your work? I'd love it!!!

Nessah,

I've PM'd you! :)

Jackie
x

I think the reply you've had so far is spot on. However, here's what I did.

I got a "wiz air" compressor from machine mart, it was very cheap compared to some. I then got a "petal" airbrush from one of the beauty shows, I believe it's a cheap version of the iwata HP-B. I got an inline moisture trap (you need this to stop the moisture build up which suddenly splats out the end of the airbrush ruining your design), and again at that show, I got a beginner kit of Medea paints, airbrush cleaner, and lots of practise nails for the nail trainer, from the essential nails stand. The kit was only about £20 and included lots of colours.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily say that they are as good as the one's reccommended for regular use (however can't really comment as not used the expensive ones), but if you wanted to give it a try before laying out lots of cash, this little set up has had me do some lovely designs, and to be honest, I would quite happily use this set up on paying clients. I will update to the other stuff at a later date as my compressor is a little noisy to take to customers homes, and I don't think it looks very professional, but I think my whole set up including paints etc cost me no more than £150. I've also seen my compressor sell on ebay for similar money to the full price, so I get loads of practise for not much money. I'm really happy with the airbrush, I think it was only £30ish, and I've painted loads with it including a big flying fairy on my garage wall :green:, I think the only problem will be when bits need replacing.

Just thought this may be an option. Good luck, I absolutely love working with mine:hug:

(I will say, get books from the library, or search on here, and learn as much as possible, as if you have your air coming out too strong, the paint can actually be driven into the skin:eek:, so really do your homework before starting on customers)

Latest posts

Back