Airbrush Makeup Masterclass

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Skin Day

Reaction score
I've been in London since Wednesday, got back yesterday. I was down there for the MAC Airbrush Makeup Masterclass with the fab Phyllis Cohen.

I learned loads, got my airbrush and mini-compressor and am now preying on my friends for practise sessions!

I was so privileged to have the opportunity to be tutored by Phyllis....some of her work is amazing....she did that fab 17/Frostfrench magazine ad where one of Frostfrench's collections is recreated using 17 makeup; the disturbing Corsodyl ads where the model has blood running from eye/cheek/hair as she applies her makeup/brushes her hair; she also showed us some great bodypainting work of hers where she makes the model look invisible....ah it was such a good day!

Just thought I'd share my fab learning experience with all you guys :green:

How do you go about getting yourself on a MAC course?

You have to be a MAC Pro member (which you can only become if you're already a working makeup artist) as the Masterclasses are for learning extra skills and keeping up-to-date with trends and new products/techniques.

Then you have to be very quick at replying to the Masterclass invitation as the courses get booked up in double quick time!

Thanks for that. I was only looking at becoming a MAC pro member the other night, so I will probably get on with my membership now.

Thanks.

Sounds like you had a fab time Amy.. I can feel your inspiration vibes from here :green::green::green::green::green:

:green: Very inspired indeed:green:

Very messy too! If you are already a clumsy makeup artist and don't want to get any clumsier, don't do airbrush! There's a million and one oppurtunities to knock things over/spill stuff/spray into someone's mouth! I am one of those clumsy ones, I think I've got a defective gene:o

I'm going back down to London in about ten days...I could live down there in the summer....Carnaby Street, Covent Garden and Kensington Church Street....tis all I need!

Joe90....didn't know you do makeup! MAC Pro membership definitely worth getting! What sorts of makeup do you do?

I use airbrush make-up and love it but dont always find it necessary to use...I tend to use it more for its long lasting finish...I also find mature ladies love it cos there skin looks younger ....might have to look into the mac pro thing myself I do lots of make-up and dabble into face painting but I have never classified myself as a make- up artist...maybe thats because I do nails and beauty too...

I just love makeup but don't feel very confident a lot of the time as I thought my College VTCT course was quite poor.

Although the tutor was very nice, everything you did was "lovely" or "marvellous" or even better "stunning" even though you knew it wasn't!!!
So much so that my confidence is a little shattered.

I have done a few make overs for friends and family only and a couple of brides who seemed very happy but then they wanted only subtle make up obviously.

I absolutely adore MAC makeup though and am always buying stuff so being a Pro Member would be good for me. Is it right though that as a pro member you can only buy via mail and not go into a department store and buy?

Thanks

Julie

PS Whereabouts in Cheshire are you chick, would be kewl to meet up!!

AmydeMan said:
:green: Very inspired indeed:green:

Very messy too! If you are already a clumsy makeup artist and don't want to get any clumsier, don't do airbrush! There's a million and one oppurtunities to knock things over/spill stuff/spray into someone's mouth! I am one of those clumsy ones, I think I've got a defective gene:o

I'm going back down to London in about ten days...I could live down there in the summer....Carnaby Street, Covent Garden and Kensington Church Street....tis all I need!

Joe90....didn't know you do makeup! MAC Pro membership definitely worth getting! What sorts of makeup do you do?

joe90 said:
I just love makeup but don't feel very confident a lot of the time as I thought my College VTCT course was quite poor.

Although the tutor was very nice, everything you did was "lovely" or "marvellous" or even better "stunning" even though you knew it wasn't!!!
So much so that my confidence is a little shattered.

I have done a few make overs for friends and family only and a couple of brides who seemed very happy but then they wanted only subtle make up obviously.

I absolutely adore MAC makeup though and am always buying stuff so being a Pro Member would be good for me. Is it right though that as a pro member you can only buy via mail and not go into a department store and buy?

Thanks

Julie

PS Whereabouts in Cheshire are you chick, would be kewl to meet up!!

As a PRO Member, you can't buy from MAC counters (as in the ones in Debenhams, Browns etc) but you can buy from freestanding stores (as in an actual MAC store that only sells MAC). There's a MAC store in Manchester and, most recently, the MAC store in Liverpool opened in the Met Centre.

It is hard to gain your confidence with makeup...especially if you have over-crtical tutors or, in your case, under-critical! At least I knew where I was going wrong/right with my ultra-strict instructors! When you train, there's a lot of rules, which I found difficult to accept as I see makeup as an art form. After you've graduated though, it's fun finding all the excceptions to those rules! It's only makeup....it washes off!:green:

I do beauty also, but wanted to concentrate more on makeup, so trained porfessionally in London. I also assisted a few makeup artists to gain experience after graduating. The only reason I still do a lot of beauty now is because of my Mum's recently opened salon....I wanted to help out and be someone she could rely on whilst she was building the business up. Now we're doing quite well, I've decided to go back to focusing on makeup again (but I've fallen in love with lash extensions, so will be carrying on with those!).

Hi Pazzy....I initially trained with Sudo in airbrush makeup, just as an add-on when they came to train spray-tanning. Phyllis Cohen's masterclass was an eye-opener though, showing the effects you can get with airbrush that would take you days to do with conventional makeup. I'm interested in airbrush for the fashion/creative aspect and the great stencil work you can create with it!
What sort of airbrush do you use? I've got a side feed and a gravity feed, loving the side feed as I don't spill as much!

I use the dinair compressor and have about 9 colours (opal shimmer to highlight with) have the brow and lip stencils that Im not sure if I like (for photos it would look really effective) however I am not really keen on using it for eyemake-up simply because you cant be as creative and you have to fully trust the airbrush to create the eye shading. I am impressed at those who can create eye make-up with an airbrush and make it look as though it was applied with a brush

Latest posts

Back