Airbrush Nail Art for Natural Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyG.

Reaction score
Hi there,
Could any of you kindly help me with some good advice.
I seem to be experiencing problems with airbrushed nail art on the natural nail, it only appears to be lasting 2 days max before the client is experiencing
breakdown !! I usually apply nail art after a manicure (using solar oil) but do
ensure the client washes their hands to thoroughly cleanse etc. I also squeak their nails with scrubfresh. This would normally be sufficient on acrylic nails, (can I add this service does last up to 2 wks on acrylics!!)
Hope somebody out there can help me !!
:rolleyes:

Hi there,
I also have experienced the very same problem, upon acrylic, fabric and gel the airbrush designs last an age but on natural nails you are lucky at 2 days with the average person, so what i do is pop the faze 2 over the natural nail, just brush it on and then airbrush over that.

I am not sure but wonder whether it would last longer over a nail that had been topcoated first? probably be just as short lived. Well I would also be interested in further advice on this subject also, however in the mean time I know just what you are experiencing and hope that someone out there can come up with an answer to this other than having to make all natural nail clients resort to having overlays, in order to make the airbrush designs stay longer hey.

Grace x

Thanks Grace for replying,
Its good to know that I am not the only one experiencing problems!!
The base coat & top coat are the ones recommended, and I always ensure that the base coat is completely dry before I apply any nail art. Also I always
apply two coats of top coat. I hope that we can get to the bottom of this Grace, as it is so frustrating when you spend the time perfecting a design only for it to last 2 days, and especially when it is your reputation at stake!!
:rolleyes:

Hiya,
As far as I know, this problem is caused by the natural oils coming through the surface of the nail. When I had the problem, I e-mailed Gina Wallace and she was very helpful. She told me not to expect air-brushing to last as long on the natural nail and suggested a thin layer of acrylic overlay before the air-brushing service. It may be a good idea to send Gina an e-mail or, for that matter, Melle from All Things Nails and see what they have to say. To be honest, I haven't had any call to airbrush natural nails since and haven't really sorted out my own problem with it as yet. Please let us know whatever information you get from the experts - so we can all get airburshing!!
Thanks
Carol

I've been experimenting with this as many of my clients don't want an overlay cos of the upkeep but they like the fine finish of airbrush art and I often use airbrushed colour blends underneath hand-painted art.

The best way I have found so far is to lightly remove the shine with a very fine file and then wipe with acetone. I then use 'Bond Aid' before two coats of ridge filler as a base. Top coat generously and seal the free edge with top coat to finish. If you can get the client to re-apply a thin layer of top coat each day this will also prolong the life of your work. (Also makes a nice sale on a top coat to take home!) Four days is about average for my lot but with proper care I've known it to last up to a week. Most of my clients are bored with it by then anyway and come in for another design!! The others opt for an overlay - usually a p&w and then art on top of that which lasts for ages.

Please tell me if there are any other methods that work longer out there!

It would be great if they could come up with airbrush paints specifically for natural nails as I think there is a gap in the market.:idea:
Anna:)

Anna,
Thanks for your advice, I have today been advised by Su-do the manufacturer of the system to try a primer before application, but I will also try your method of removing shine with a soft buffer, and adding loadsa top coat !!!Watch this space !!!!!
Would be grateful for any more views on the subject. What is the point of promoting airbrushing if only able to apply on acrylic nails etc???
Would be interesting to know what other techs out there do for teenagers nail parties, do you only offer freehand designs ???

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back