Airbrush tanning Vs Hvlp - which gives a better tan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belle De Jour

Reaction score
I have search through LOADS of old threads so im sorry if this has already been covered :o

I trained with an airbrush which i love using and practise using a friends.
The time has come for me to take the plunge and invest in my own kit so i can unleash on the public but im struggling to decide on airbrush or Hvlp.
Most importantly i want to find out do both give an equally good tan is it purely dependant on the solutions you are using as to the quality/coverage/longevity of the tan?
I feel as though i could customise the tan more with shading/sculpting and enjoy the artistic element of this option with an airbrush, but that vs the price of airbrush kits and the Hvlp start up kits which are more within my budget leave me not sure what to do :irked:
I really wanted an airbrush but thinking logically having never used a Hvlp i could be missing out and maybe airbrush isnt the way to go?
So...... its really got to come down to which machine gives a better more natural looking tan.
Please could anyone who has had experience of using both airbrush and Hvlp advise me of which you feel gives you the best results and hopefully your reasons why
thanks in advance for any advice:green:

When Dawn my Partner First got involved in spray tanning 10 years ago, every one was using the airbrush method. The airbrushes produce lots more overspray and use a lot more solution as its coming out at high pressure,hence mist and that mist is your profit :cry: it also takes a lot longer to apply the solution to the body. and time is also Money.
HVLP is faster and more cost effective

Thanks for coming back to me on this Steve, does Dawn feel there is a deference in the outcome of the tans does one wear longer than the other look more natural ect thank you :green:

I do think you get a better result with airbrush*, but like Steve says, it's a trade-off between precision and time/money.

One of our customers opened up her salon last Monday. She's always been airbrush but now that she's going to be a lot busier, she's invested in an HVLP machine (the TS50). What she plans to do is give them a once-over with the HVLP, but then finish the hands and face with airbrush.

This gives her speed but also allows her to bring in more precision in the most important areas. I'm not suggesting you do the same and invest in both, that would be rather extravagent, I am just using it as an example to show that both methods have their pros and cons :)

I suppose it depends not only on your personal preference but also on what you think your clients will like. Standing there for 20 minutes getting airbrushed can be a bit of a chilly experience - there's something to be said for the 10 minute HVLP tan and the treat at the end when the technician takes the gun off the hose and dries you with lovely warm air!

* Airbrush used well! I think it's more difficult to do a really good (no stripes) job with airbrush than it is with HVLP. But this is just personal opinion!

No contest, I used to use an Iwata smart jet pro, as previously said the mist from overspray was unbelievable and takes way too long. The only up side was contour tanning was very easy to achieve with the airbrush. The maximist (HPLV5008) delivers a brilliant tan everytime and I would never go back to airbrush.

I recently got samples from Sunless Solutions and they run Contour Tanning courses using the Maximist. I didn't realise you could do that with this machine but I am going to have a play with mine and see what I can achieve.

I find it a lot easier to get a nice even tan with my airbrush system, I have a HVLP system as a spare incase my airrush system wasnt working but I dont like using it - its really loud and I find it uses a lot more solution and there is a lot more overspray.

I guess its down to personal preference and what you get used too

I didn't even know people did airbrush!?!?! Is it in demand at all?

Thanks so much for the replies guys, i must admit its the noise that really puts me off! do they all sound like hoovers? i didnt realise they where quiet that bad! think id rather it take a little longer than not hear myself think lol im going to have to do a search now on noisy hvlp now to find out :D
when ive used an airbrush theres not a huge amount of overspray that ive noticed and i only use about 40ml solution maybe i dont use enough coats? confused! thanks for the advice thou i'll think on it a few days more ;) Xxx

i'm in exactly the same position Belle. I've just done my training with an airbrush, which was brilliant, but everyone seems to be using HVLP machines. I've tried a couple and the noise is horrendous, plus the overspray seems to be greater with a HVLP, but the speed is greater, and there seems less chance of missed bits. Also do all HVLP's have the hot air facility, as the one i tested only blew cold??

Hi I trained with iwata airbrush, and used it successfully for years and years( that's all that was out at the time as sunbeds were still popular) I changed mainly because, airbrushes are quite sensitive after spraying about 5 straight off , would need to take brush apart and clean, which was a pain with people waiting! I decided to change to maximist hvlp and yes it's a bit noisy but tans in half the time and it's a really even result, I have never looked back, good investment. I use iwata for airbrush tattoos only now!

which of the HVLP machines would you recommend. There seems to be a new version out called the TS 50, with a helia gun, whatever that is. Or are most HVLP machines the same??Help!!

Im new to all this too but noticed someone mentioning the warm air drying you. As far as im aware the only machine on the market at the minute that applies the tan warm and also dries you is the Evolv sidekick airbrush system. I am too looking into this as im looking at starting a salon offering things no one else does so something im interested in. It does come with a bigger price tag than the other systems but think its considered really well especially as harrods have got it and its being used in the london school of beauty!! its around 3k but like i say from all i have read and people have told me is that it would be received really well as clients are forever asking if the tan could be warm when applied!! im no exper but you can google the evolv sidekick and see what you think.

Thanks so much for the replies guys, i must admit its the noise that really puts me off! do they all sound like hoovers? i didnt realise they where quiet that bad! think id rather it take a little longer than not hear myself think lol im going to have to do a search now on noisy hvlp now to find out :D
when ive used an airbrush theres not a huge amount of overspray that ive noticed and i only use about 40ml solution maybe i dont use enough coats? confused! thanks for the advice thou i'll think on it a few days more ;) Xxx

I was in your position a few years ago and eventually changed to HVLP, mainly because the airbrush takes a lot longer, but in my opinion you get a gorgeous tan, never really noticed that it used more solution than hvlp either. I used to use 40-50ml per tan, same as now. I loved my airbrush and have never got rid of it. It is a shame I dont use it anymore. I am actually tempted to offer Airbrush tans again but not mobile as I end up taking over an hour per client. Travelling, time, tanning, drying , packing up and travel again. Also the cleaning when you are busy. The needle clogs up after a few tans

In answer to your question, Airbrush much better tan than HVLP, but slower too and time is money;)

I use the Crazy Angel Airbrush Systembut it's hvlp & compressor.... confused?? so was I! ! I have done 8 tans in a row and machine not let me down! It doenst have many parts to the gun, which makes cleaning it a doddle! It takes about 10mins to spray a full body. This is the machine

Crazy Angel Airbrush System Premier Elite -

Latest posts

Back