Airbrush

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rinn

CND Shellac EA
Reaction score
anybody use an airbrush for doing nail art?

how do you find it?

Hi,
I bought one about a year ago with a few colours but sold it recently. I have not done one persons nails with it! No one asks for it and to be honest setting it up and cleaning it was too time consuming.
Maybe in a salon it may be more useful but I'd rather do nail art by hand/with konad etc. But that's just me. Xx

I trained in airbrushing when I did a nail art course... it was effective, but I much prefer stamping! Quicker and cleaner, plus the result is very similar if you're using stencils. Apparently there's quite a high start-up cost for airbrushing and even then there's not much demand for it.

xxx

No to Airbrush, Once I'd found Konad then it was goodbye Airbrush... Look up the Konad Groups on here if you havent come across stamping...

I used an Airbrush for many years and I also taught it for many years .. perhaps to some of you?? I was taught by one of the world's best airbrushers, Elizabeth Anthony.

The most important thing Elizabeth ever taught me was that to make money with airbrushing to pay back your investment, you have to use it every day and it must be permanently set up so that it is easy and accessible. To use it every day you had to commit to doing all your polishing with it (but with paint of course); that way you could charge for the colour application and make money. This is what we did and we did make money .. women loved that it was dry instantly and only the top coat to wait for.

We did very little nail art with it as no one wanted to pay for anything complicated but we did do "colour fades" or "ombré" nails, as they now seem to be called, which were very popular in 2-3 colours.

Now days, with Shellac and additives you can get nails that are dry instantly and a perfect ombré colour fade with additives. Quicker, easier, more effective and longer lasting.

With Minx you can have perfect instant nail art and with Konad Stamping, instant stenciling effects. All much less complcated.

My advice would be to not go backwards ... move forwards with new, innovative and more practical techniques and with much less expense involved in the initial set up and frankly, skills that are more easily learned and of a different and easier kind. The days of airbrushing in the salon are for the most part, over.

Aww but some art you can only do with airbrush. I know it night not pay for itself anymore but I'm dying to do lace nails. Airbrushed on lace of course so you can use with any gel polish etc. No embedding! So geeg what model would you recommend a newbie tech like me? This one will be mostly for myself but I'm sure once I wear it my clients will want it too

Aww but some art you can only do with airbrush. I know it night not pay for itself anymore but I'm dying to do lace nails. Airbrushed on lace of course so you can use with any gel polish etc. No embedding! So geeg what model would you recommend a newbie tech like me? This one will be mostly for myself but I'm sure once I wear it my clients will want it too

I do not believe it is over to some degree it does seem to sell i have seen a salon that would be regarded as a nss on salon geek it is situated in a market place.
and he still does airbrushing and is charging it at 18.00 pounds a set and everytime i walk past there he is full with clients:irked:
must be something he is doing right

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all the input geeks.

i know for the use i'd get out of it, the expense isn't warranted

I love shellac and it is the best for doing peek-a-boo, rockstars, layering etc.

i have konad but can't get on with it at all.

i think i'll just keep practising my flowers / spirals etc. i'm just a bit envious of some work i see- they are like caravaggio ,mine is like beginner level 1;)
have you to be arty or do you just have to practise harder?
i think a bit of both.
thanks

i like it, i do many design in airbrush, its so fast and easy and your options of nailart are unlimited!
i do a little clean between clients and a good clean at the end of the day.
I do no other nailart anymore than airbrush, my clients just love it.
I charge 3euro for 2 nails and 8euro for 10 nails. its so quick and easy.
2 nails in 5 min and 10 nails in 10 min and they are ready to go.

Many insparation i find on facebook groups like,
brush it
just brush it
alte frieda airbrush

hope you guys can understand what i am saying :green: my english is not so impressive :) hihi

You can do beautiful lace nails that look just like they have been airbrushed using Shellac and the new additives. Very much faster than airbrushing, no clean up and instantly dry.

I used an Aztek Airbrush for years.. but I also own a Badger and a small Japanese number, the name of which I can not remember off hand. Make sure the airbrush is a duel action model and light weight. x

years ago in salon we used to do airbrushing all the time but as said with so many new things out and the cleaning of the machines that you have to do to stop it getting clogged up there doesnt seem much call for it. I have one in my cupboard that has hardly been used, my only problem is that over the years new trends etc have come in and i have gotten rid of so much like for example foils...i used to have loads when they were out 10 years ago or so but when that fad went i threw them away and now they are back again!!!so who knows!

My salon was called Airbrushed Nails so of course I used an airbrush.
I agree with Geeg - its outdated as there is so much you can do now, however, I lived in a place where no one had ever had their nails painted in this way so it served as a marketing tool. It stood proud in the middle of the room, was always buzzing and attracting attention ... then I airbrushed tans, body art for kids and make-up....

An airbrush is a HUGE investment, takes time to learn and needs to be looked after (precise cleaning) It is also very rewarding.

I no longer do treatments so my airbrush is redundant and now is part of my crafting kit but I still love to hear that people are interested in this art form!

Feel free to PM me if you need any advice, happy to help if I can.

see that's the thing.
nobody around here uses 1 either.
a lot of dutch, german or belgium techs seem to use them and the art work is fabulous.
i'd love to meet someone who uses it and physically see it in action.

Yes I have use airbrush for nail art. I'm professionally doing airbrush nail art. I found my first airbrush from this website. I bought it 1 year ago. I think they have still now you can check....

This is my first airbrush...

BAD-100LG_new-01.jpg

I'm qualified in airbrushing I think the effect looks really nice but I find it a pain to keep setting up and taking down but I think if I was in a salon it would be more practical as you could probably keep it set up xx

I use an airbrush just for the white tip on a French natural nail manicure. Dries instantly with no lumpy white bit & then the light colour coat n top coat take less time to dry also. Although this is a great product too. You can spray between each coatView attachment 84373View attachment 84374

Latest posts

Back