Airbrushing question, is it quicker than freehand art?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLUSKERM

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
What i would like to know is when you airbrush what do you do when you change colours, do they not mix together in the machine? Would like to do nail art , not sure whether to do freehand or do an airbrushing course, any one with knowledge please!:)

Start off with a freehand course, see how you get on and I would advise don't do an airbrushing course unless you are refusing clients because you don't offer it.

I flush through with water & a non acetone nailpolish remover mix.
Flush till clear fluid is expelled.
Then just place the next colour into the gun and away you go.
I also remove the little ballbearings in the bottles - stops them blocking up as you get closer to finishing the bottle.

Nails aren't the only things that get airbrushed - Temporary tattoo's are popular at times also.
So you can use the same a/brush machine for different effects

Nail Art course -
Why not consider a folk art course ? Almost all of the strokes etc are duplicated between the both
styles..

Combining all mediums of nail art is possible with airbrushing.
Nail Art is only limited by your imagination, Have fun.

HtH
XX J XX

I flush through with water & a non acetone nailpolish remover mix.
Flush till clear fluid is expelled.
Then just place the next colour into the gun and away you go.
I also remove the little ballbearings in the bottles - stops them blocking up as you get close to finishing the bottle.

Combining all mediums of nail art is possible with airbrushing.
Nail Art is only limited by your imagination, Have fun.

HtH
XX J XX[/quote
Thanks for the advice, is setting up quick , planning to go mobile, but would love to offer the service.:)

i've don both and would, most likely never, pick up an airbrush pen for nails again.
i have seen so many beautiful designs done with airbrush, God bless them.
my specialty is in free hand.
it's a personal choice.
i can be more liberating and relaxing for me to come up with a detailed design.
i find it easier to clean up after using acrylic paints than the air system.
good luck in whatever you choose, just have fun!

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

i've don both and would, most likely never, pick up an airbrush pen for nails again.
i have seen so many beautiful designs done with airbrush, God bless them.
my specialty is in free hand.
it's a personal choice.
i can be more liberating and relaxing for me to come up with a detailed design.
i find it easier to clean up after using acrylic paints than the air system.
good luck in whatever you choose, just have fun!

kathleen
My Nails Rock!
When you use acrylic paints , do you use base coat/ top coat of any brand? Only was going to try some freehand nail art with nubar polishes and art pens and just use there top coat to protect the design, what is the difference in using acrylic paints?:)

I always do free hand nail art and think , IMO, that it is less hassle and less cleaning up.

I do my nail art with acrylic paints which are water based, so when they are dry (after doing all ten fingers normally) i then use a top coat clear polish, or a gel top coat.

Do not do airbrushing myself although I have considered it.

A couple of my clients have had it done before and say it only lasts about a week before it wears off at the edges. hth x

i always use a basecoat and top coat. besides keeping your color on, it makes your design pop off the nail.

kathleen My Nails Rock!

does it matter what brand you use with acrylic paints?

does it matter what brand you use with acrylic paints?

no.
use the top coat lightly and try to avoid going over the same area repeatedly or you may spoil the design.

it doesnt really matter. i, though, have tried different ones. some had a thicker feel, some had a watery feel.
just check them out.
and hat i do run a warm hair dryer, then cool setting over it to make sure it's dry before i top coat.

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

I knew 5 years ago that I wouldnt get into freehand and went for the airbrush course and never looked back, I have done the freehand but as its all down to practice so I keep designs simple.
What way do you lean? I like simple yet dramatic nails and would never get complicated pictures drawn onto my nails so why would I do them on someone YET freehand is not all about being an artist - flicks, embellishing, marbelling, dotting and placing stones in interesting ways are all part of the course.
When you airbrush you an give a finish unachievable with polish BUT you must wear and promote it yourself. As it is an investment if your clients dont go for the more adventurous airbrush designs will you be happy just using it for french polishes? There is no difference time wise when you do complicated designs as the time you would have waited for polish to dry you would be cleaning out your airbrush. Airbrush French in my opinion is better for the client as they dont have to wait and you cant really dent or smudge airbrushing. The reason why airbrushing 'wears' off is the technician sprayed straight down and didnt seal the edge, I spray a little on the tip of the nail and bumper my sealer and top coat.
Over the years my airbrush has paid for itself over and over (last year I only used it for french polishing and didnt mind at all) Basic nail art is something you can teach yourself, read in books, watch step by steps and get DVD's so mayb go for the airbrush course - get a company that let you use their equipment and away you go.

Thanks for that help. Airbrushing seems really apealling to me, just not sure its profitable as you dont see many people around here wearing it, i just want to do it! Do you mask around the finger or spray over the skin too!

Latest posts

Back