airbrushing your own nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mandy_moo_64

Reaction score
I've been airbrushing for about 6 months now, and I always practise on the 'plastic' nails, but whenever i try and airbrush my OWN nails, its a disaster! And now I'm pulling my hair out with frustration

How do you do it ? How do you keep the stencil on your finger ? Sellotape it on ?! I'm not too bad at doing my left hand, cos i'm right handed, but how do you manage to do your other hand ?

mandy_moo_64 said:
I've been airbrushing for about 6 months now, and I always practise on the 'plastic' nails, but whenever i try and airbrush my OWN nails, its a disaster! And now I'm pulling my hair out with frustration

How do you do it ? How do you keep the stencil on your finger ? Sellotape it on ?! I'm not too bad at doing my left hand, cos i'm right handed, but how do you manage to do your other hand ?
you can get a little gadget that sorts this problem out from melle at all things nails. its a little stand thingy that has 2 clips that hold the stencil for you, then you hold your nail up under the stencil and spray through .

Heya!

I dont actually airbrush, but the fab Gina Wallace has a tip for airbrushing your own nails on her site...

"(1) Get one of those stovetop covers or a flat cake pan and then turn it over-- flat surface up.
(2) Get two small, one-inch, FLAT magnets.
(3) Place the magnets on TOP of the stencil--about 1 inch from the EDGE of the pan, and on BOTH sides, near the image you want to spray.
(4) Then push the stencil edges TOGETHER to form a small "dome".
(5) Next, simply insert your finger UNDER that dome and lift UP until the stencil is FLUSH with your nail surface...then spray!
(6) Press your finger DOWN, then out of the dome to reveal the results. "

Hope it helps :cool:

xxlaylaxx

Thanks Laystar, but how do you do your other hand? you can't ALL be ambidextrous !!!!?

Does that just take loads of practise then, or do i need to get my hubby to do my other one? Ha ! Ha ! I can see him loving that ..... not !!!!

Hi

Although I've been viewing this site for a few months now, this is my first attempt at putting anything on it, so be gentle.

I passed by airbrushing course now about 8 or 9 months ago and had the same problem. I mostly used to get my sister to hold the stencil (unfortunately caused probs when she didn't follow my instructions properly)

So as already posted, I bought the "Helping Hands" (gadget with the clips on it) from Melle at All Things Nails. Costs about £5 and doesn't argue back. :biggrin:

The 'Helping Hands' that Melle sells are good, my friend loves hers, but I find I get a little 'gammy handed' when trying to do my right hand. The way I solved the problem was by using mainly pre cut design masks by either 'Too Much Fun' or 'Medea'. They stick to the nail and you get a wonderfully crisp outline. I only use stencils on myself now if it's for something that needs a 'fuzzy' edge - cos that's what I end up getting! :lol:

Jackie
www.LibertyNailDesign.com

You never know, Jackie, you might start a new trend.....blurred nail art....people wil think they've had too much to drink when they look at them!!

:lol: @ Mandy!

When I first started airbrushing EVERYTHING had fuzzy edges - I heard or read somewhere that you should never say 'ooops' if you make a mistake when airbrushing cos only you know you've done it wrong, so I'd tell the client it was meant to fade away like that! ;)

Where di you get that brilliant smiley?

Jackie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back