Alcohol without additives for pressing mineral makeup

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marioned

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help.

My daughter loves Mac makeup and there is a technique for pressing loose mineral eyeshadow into little pots, which fit into the pallette.

To do this you need to use alcohol (no, not vodka!), as it quickly evaporates when mixed with the loose powder, which can then be pressed. This alcohol is easily available in the US in the chemist.

However, over here (UK) it seems to be more difficult to obtain. We have obtained surgical spirit, which seems to work well, except it smells of germoline. She doesn't really want to go around smelling of this! We have also laid our hands on methylated spirit, which is unfortunately purple and stinks to high heavens!

Does anyone know where we can obtain non-smelly clear alcohol, before she starts trying with the vodka!

Thanks,
Marion x

I remeber there is a girl from the uk on youtube with heaps of mac make up tutorials, and she presses the pigments with something. May be worth having a search. I will try and find the link. Dont mac offer some kind of mixing medium? Not sure if it will do the same thing. x

Her link .. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Might just be worth sending her a message if you dont find what you are looking for. x

Last edited:
Ahhh, you have jogged my daughter's mind. She says she thinks you're talking about the "geordie girl". She's run off to check on her computer. I think Sharon has looked at every tutorial on there, and more!

Thanks for your help,
Marion x

No, there wasn't any pressing on there, as far as she could tell, but I saw one with surgical spirit mentioned when she talked about cleaning the eyebrow area before plucking. Beauty geeks, does it always smell of germoline, or can you get unsmelly ones?
Marion x

easy peasy lemon squeezy

isopropyl alcohol some of its other names are, isonol, rubbing alcohol, isocol.

they key is to make sure that what ever the iso alcohol you buy make sure the alcohol content is 70% or higher. :) have fun chookies

Latest posts

Back