All about gels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie H

Reaction score
I have always had L&P, warn them, trained in them, applied them and have never had anything to do with gels. In fact until I went to train with Anne Swain, I'd never even heard of gel nails.
So with this in mind and my curiosity fully whetted from all the adverts etc, about colours, and toes and tips verses sculpts I would like to know all about them and what are the differences between them,
So I'll start it rolling with a few questions but as these are answered more will probably occur to me so please keep answering and even if it seems a daft question to you, please remember that I have never had any education in gels:smack:

First question
I know that gel doesn't set/cure until exposed to a u.v. lamp, does that mean that you can keep working it for ever, i.e. working on your smile until it is perfect or does it thicken or start to smear or something after a set amount of time?
Second question
I have been told that Le Chat is a hybrid, in what way?
3rd
on another thread it was said that someone had over done the prep and so had lifting probs. How is the prep different from L&P prep and why?
4th
Why is Brisa different from other gels and please don't just say its better:lol::hug:
BTW if anyone else wants to ask questions please do I want to know all about this system from the peeps who use it rather then the company's that sell it, I mean that in a nice way and do not want educators to not answer, its just that what I read on web sites is not very informative from a practical point of view.
Thanks guys:hug:

Anyone? peeeeeeeese?

I have always had L&P, warn them, trained in them, applied them and have never had anything to do with gels. In fact until I went to train with Anne Swain, I'd never even heard of gel nails.
So with this in mind and my curiosity fully whetted from all the adverts etc, about colours, and toes and tips verses sculpts I would like to know all about them and what are the differences between them,
So I'll start it rolling with a few questions but as these are answered more will probably occur to me so please keep answering and even if it seems a daft question to you, please remember that I have never had any education in gels:smack:

First question
I know that gel doesn't set/cure until exposed to a u.v. lamp, does that mean that you can keep working it for ever, i.e. working on your smile until it is perfect or does it thicken or start to smear or something after a set amount of time? Depending on where you put your gel it will after a piriod of time touch the sidewalls !
Second question
sorry i havn't trained with this company!
3rd
on another thread it was said that someone had over done the prep and so had lifting probs. How is the prep different from L&P prep and why?
prep is prep whatever you use!
4th
Why is Brisa different from other gels and please don't just say its better:lol::hug:
BTW if anyone else wants to ask questions please do I want to know all about this system from the peeps who use it rather then the company's that sell it, I mean that in a nice way and do not want educators to not answer, its just that what I read on web sites is not very informative from a practical point of view.

Hypoaligenic for a start , and the creative system is way ahead of others imo but we all like what we do and thats why each others clients go with what we both personally like:)

First question
I know that gel doesn't set/cure until exposed to a u.v. lamp, does that mean that you can keep working it for ever, i.e. working on your smile until it is perfect or does it thicken or start to smear or something after a set amount of time?
Yes i find it great as i put my first layer on cure it an when i do the smile lines i can play with it til its perfect and cure it for 10 secs and add alittle more if needed!
Second question
Not sure Angel figers can answer that one as she is a le chat chic
3rd
I think it was a typing error chic think she meant she hadn't done it enough?
4th
It is non porus as well so it doesn't soak of which means it is stronger...

Hope this helps as i have not long been using gel either but i am so glad that i can now offer it to my clients xx

Hypoaligenic for a start , and the creative system is way ahead of others imo but we all like what we do and thats why each others clients go with what we both personally like:)
Thanks for replying, just been admiring your gallery:hug: what do you mean by hypoaligenic, do you mean unlike L&P you don't get over exposer?

Hope this helps as i have not long been using gel either but i am so glad that i can now offer it to my clients xx
Thanks Kirsty, may I ask, which do you prefer. L&P or gel, or is it a case of love them both and if so why? Does one sort of service suit one client better then another or is it down to personal preference or do the two look completely different?
Sorry for all the questions, but I did warn you:lol:

Thanks for replying, just been admiring your gallery:hug: what do you mean by hypoaligenic, do you mean unlike L&P you don't get over exposer?

in my experience you DO NOT expose the skin weather that be yours or the clients to any gel or cutical remover product you will then reduce the risk of overexposure. I will now look up the sensitivity chart for you be paitient xx

This is what i have learn't

Te top of the scale down ok!

Oderless Light cured l&p
Traditional light cured l&p
Oderlesss L&P
Brisa gel
Low odor l&p
High odor l&P
Wrap system adiheves

I find brisa very hard wearing and easy to use

Just don't get it everywhere iykwim

Thanks Kirsty, may I ask, which do you prefer. L&P or gel, or is it a case of love them both and if so why? Does one sort of service suit one client better then another or is it down to personal preference or do the two look completely different?
Sorry for all the questions, but I did warn you:lol:

I will always be an L&P girl, but i do like gel alot that if someone came in and asked for gel i wouldn't try and covert them to L&P straight away like i normally do, i think gel looks fab over natural nails if someone is just looking for an overlay but if they didn't get on with them then i would change them to L&P.

I think their are always clients that prefer gel and those that prefer L&P so it is good to offer both,

No probs chic ask away xx

Thanks to Tricky and Kirsty the link to Gigi was very helpful to.
:lol: So why do you, when do you paint a white smile as opposed to sculpt a smile on a re balance and, me myself I have totally flat nails, so how hard is it to build the apex with gel or is that one of those stages where you build the apex and then cure it for 10 seconds to fix it, before continuing with the service?
Am I getting my head around this:eek:?

Anyone have any more info for me, please, and if there is a tech in N'ton who uses gels, I would love to sit in and watch you do a set, and let me pick your brain:lol: Tuesdays are good for me:lol:

Thanks to Tricky and Kirsty the link to Gigi was very helpful to.
:lol: So why do you, when do you paint a white smile as opposed to sculpt a smile on a re balance and, me myself I have totally flat nails, so how hard is it to build the apex with gel or is that one of those stages where you build the apex and then cure it for 10 seconds to fix it, before continuing with the service?
Am I getting my head around this:eek:?

basically you prep the nail and tip with clear tips, then you put 1 layer of pink gel over all of the nail then paint on the white and then over that do you next layer and build apex with clear gel, does that make sense.

I do find builing the apex the hardest as it does self level alittle but thanks to tricky showing me the way i has got easier, i'm in milton keynes and i do like to practise still with gel so if you want a freebee set and you can get over chic feel free.

Don't you all be getting ideas tho lol

i can explain a bit more about lechat....

its a gel product that has a layer of powder sprinkled on it for superior strength. this is then exposed to the uv light and cures the same as other gels.

i am using lechat powder gel
lechat nobility soak off gel
and akzentz gels too.

why dont you come round and i'll demo one of each on you so you can see how its applied and see which you prefer ?

know there's an offer you can't refuse!!

I was in northanpton the other day and thought i might pop in and say hi but i didn't want to bother you if you were busy xx

know there's an offer you can't refuse!!

I was in northanpton the other day and thought i might pop in and say hi but i didn't want to bother you if you were busy xx

i've been stacked out lately.
i'm going on my hols in sept and to fit everyone in im gonna have to work that hard i'll be lucky to survive the week before the holiday :lol:

but it would be nice to meet up sometime.

yeah maybe after sept as thats when i go so i'm pretty much the same as you chic but defo after i'll take ya for a well desrved coffee or alcoholic bev lol xx

yeah maybe after sept as thats when i go so i'm pretty much the same as you chic but defo after i'll take ya for a well desrved coffee or alcoholic bev lol xx

great, its a date !

I would have to disagree. Alot of other uv systems have had coverage gels (warm and cool) and colored gels long before Creative!!! There are alot of great gels out there, you just need to keep asking questions and doing your homework. You might want to look at LCN, Amore and Akzentz. These are all high end gels that have alot to offer a wide range of clients!!!! Here in Canada, Brisa gel is not nearly as popular as the above mentioned gels. I can only think of one salon (maybe two) that uses Brisa in my area!! Keep asking questions. You can find alot of info on Akzentz on this site, you can get in touch with Lana and she'll give you a run down on Akzentz. You can find out about Amore by checking out their website Amore International - 100% natural mineral makeup, skin care, the ultimate gel nail system All the best!

4th
Brisa gel is gluteraldehyde, acrylate and formaldehyde free...
this makes it hypo-allergenic as those are all chemicals that are known irritants to the skin.

It is an excellent product regarding longevity, gorgeous to the 'eye', strong, and pleasing to the client.

hth's :green:

Latest posts

Back