All tans come out dark

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lissylou

Reaction score
Wondered if you tan geeks could give me a bit of advice. I have tested 4 different tans LA tan Sienna nouvatan and fresh indulgence. I am at a loss really. I did a tan the other day on a olive skinned person with a 9 % fresh indulgence I seen her today and omg she is really really brown it is flawless but so dark. She loves it but I know other people where shocked at how dark itwas. I could think it's a one off as I am relatively new to tanning but I have tried 8 % in all of the above and 7% fresh indulgence on myself I am a pale skin tone and still feel really dark. Is it my tequnique do you think. Am I overspraying would this make it go darker.The one that went the most orange was nouvatan and I know everyone raves about it on here and says not an orange tinge in sight! so thinking is it me? my solution coming out couch roll test is fine and gun set low. No drips or anything and skin not wet. So not sure or do you think it is just the solution itself? . I really would hate to disappoint the ones who just want a healthy glow! Should I look into an even lower % don't even know if they exist. Thanks :) x

How many ML are you using per tan?

Using approximate 50ml per tan so maybe could be better but didn't think this was too bad

50ml is not too bad. I'm shocked you think the 7% Fresh indulgence is dark though. I trialed it and it was a nice colour but definatley a light tan.

It is possible that the person you have sprayed is just very lucky and tans really well with just a small amount of DHA.

Maybe you just think people look too dark but they are not. I know my opinion on how dark I go when tanned is different to what other people think of my tan. I hate to be too dark as I have never managed to get a natural tan in the sun. I am so pale that I go bright red, burn & peel and white again. I even tried regular sunbeds when I was younger and I NEVER managed to go brown.

I think an 8% tan on me looks ok but anything more and I feel orange, others have told me I look lovely and brown and that I'm not orange but I FEEL I am so no amount of telling me otherwise will persuade me to have higher than an 8% tan.

Thank you baggy bear. I think I feel like you that everything is too dark. I will try the 7% on everyone I think first to see how they react to the DHA and then they can always go darker next time. I thought with the 9% on an olive skin was airing on the side of caution tho lol. The guide is very light with fresh indulge so not sure if I overcompensated with the coverage as it's not that easy too see x

I found the guide too light too especially on olive skinned clients.

I decided not to stick with it and I now use LA Tan, I love the double dip guide colour as it means I can see it going on and that means I use less per tan.

You will have to start to trust that people like thier tans darker than you think though. I spray most of my clients with 12%, some go darker some go lighter but no-one in my area has lighter than a 10% (other than me lol so I use my fast tan to get my tan rather than buy a litre & waste solution all the time when it goes out of date).

Yes the guide colour on la tan is so much more obvious and I did worry that in the dark nights evenwith daylight bulb I would struggle to see the fresh indulgence guide colour. Going to try the 10% la again me thinks and spray a little less. See how I get on. :) x

I use fresh indulgence 7% on myself and its a very nice natural light colour, but I use an airbrush machine, I tend to use about 40 ml per tan

I think also it's still cold outside and not many people have a tan so it's really shocking when you see a brown face when everyone is so White just like when you get back off holidays and everyone looks deathly pale. Another monthmay make a big difference :)

Some peoples skin can be more absorbent than others. No matter what tan I use on my own skin I go so dark I glow, other girls have the same tan and you can barely see it. I would try this on a few different skin types and you will probably get a better feel for it and feel more confident :)

I seem to have this issue with my skin and fake tans. I have sampled lots of solutions on myself and other willing clients. I started off actually using Fake Bake and having tried lots of samples have now changed to Nouvatan. I LOVE Nouvatan on my clients, so do they, but even with this, like every other on my skin it goes too dark, and I too feel a bit orangey. It does not matter the solution, I have even tried washing an 8% off after 3 hours but, particulary my face, still looks like a 'fake tan'. Incidentally, I do not have pale skin and tan very well in the sun.

I did a post on this at one point because 'my personal tanners', ie. bubby and sister are probably overspraying, however, it's back to the old argument that it supposedly doesn't matter how much solution, it should still stay the same percentage. Sorry, I've no answers but can only say it's certainly a phenomenon to me. I shall watch this post with interest ...

Well I have done two more spray tans since the one that turned out extremely dark. I only did one coat this time to see if this made a difference. It appeared too. I was taught two coats on training so have always stuck to that. I therefore deffo think two coats must make the result of the tan darker. I also tried to not overcompensate for the light guide colour and try and spray them brown and trust that everywhere was covered. So fingers crossed :) I feel with every spray tan I feel it throws up a different problem each time. Maybe that's a good thing as it's a learning curve. Thanks geeks for all your help x

Guide colour is a tough one :( Like I said to someone else earlier today, we keep our guide colour as close to the resulting tan as possible. I know a lot of companies put in a really dark guide colour, and yes it does make it easier to apply in lower light situations, but then it doesn't give the client much of an indication of how their tan is goin to turn out when they shower it off.

I suppose it all depends on personal preference and also the setup of your tanning room / tent / client's house.

But if you were finding all the solutions you tried came out dark then yes, I'd say your new technique may do the trick. Our 7% really is quite light, very good for pale complexions, but I do know what you mean about the psychological aspect of it - we've just launched a new tanning foam so I was trying out the lightest one we still had samples left of from Professional Beauty North so that I can speak to people about it having actually tried it myself. I rarely wear tan (despite being surrounded by it!), and even though my skin is more on the olive side than the pale side, so you'd think 7% would be very light, I was like "oh my god!" I expected to walk out of my house and everyone be looking at me but none of my friends or family even reacted? So I suppose sometimes it is just all in the mind a bit!

I do think tanning is a bit like a drug or cigarette addiction :p When you first start, a tiny bit has a big impact, but then you get more and more immune and want to go darker and darker. I reckon that's what fuels this current demand for the darkest solutions ever! Sorry, rambling on again... I'll shut up now...

Well I hope my clients all get addicted lol. With a tan you don't need as much makeup and it does cover a multitude of sins so hopefully they will get used to looking that way. I do feel as though I will offer everyone at the moment the 7% no matter how dark they are though. What do you think? As people would surely prefer then to say darker next time than me frighten them off at the start. I do agree with you that the guide colour is better for the tanner when it's a natural colour but it's better for the technician if it's dark. With the lighter guide colours I know at least I can go out and not feel ridiculous

Guide colour is a tough one :( Like I said to someone else earlier today, we keep our guide colour as close to the resulting tan as possible. I know a lot of companies put in a really dark guide colour, and yes it does make it easier to apply in lower light situations, but then it doesn't give the client much of an indication of how their tan is goin to turn out when they shower it off.

I suppose it all depends on personal preference and also the setup of your tanning room / tent / client's house.

But if you were finding all the solutions you tried came out dark then yes, I'd say your new technique may do the trick. Our 7% really is quite light, very good for pale complexions, but I do know what you mean about the psychological aspect of it - we've just launched a new tanning foam so I was trying out the lightest one we still had samples left of from Professional Beauty North so that I can speak to people about it having actually tried it myself. I rarely wear tan (despite being surrounded by it!), and even though my skin is more on the olive side than the pale side, so you'd think 7% would be very light, I was like "oh my god!" I expected to walk out of my house and everyone be looking at me but none of my friends or family even reacted? So I suppose sometimes it is just all in the mind a bit!

I do think tanning is a bit like a drug or cigarette addiction :p When you first start, a tiny bit has a big impact, but then you get more and more immune and want to go darker and darker. I reckon that's what fuels this current demand for the darkest solutions ever! Sorry, rambling on again... I'll shut up now...

tanning foam? Is it a mousse for retail? When is it available? :lol:

Just jumping on this thread as I have a similar problem. I used sienna x 8% on a customer who is fair, for a wedding and Ive seen her pics and she is brown!! I think too brown really.
Ive just ordered a sample of nouvatan so hopefully this will comeout lighter as now a little put off using the 8% sienna x again!
I use LA tan aswell 10% and 14% and it looked as dark as one of these. Does anyone use the LA tan 8%?
xx

I tried many different 8% tans on models and myself. All came out quite dark but I felt dark mainly on the face. What is ok on legs is sometimes too dark on face. The 8% that I was finally happy with was the suntana one. There 10% cherry one was pretty good also.no golden tones which sometimes throw out orange tinge to me. The original 10% la tan not the gold is a good one also

Latest posts

Back