All That Jazz drying time vs Vinylux?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motherbird

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I've been using OPI polish for many years, Vinylux came out and was an instant hit with my pedicure clients because of the major bonus of the 8.5 mins dry time. Sometimes I think ive shot myself in the foot with it because I have a large Vinylux collection and loyal following but...... Although I'm a quick polisher etc I do find it tedious that certain colours are thick and don't go the distance, become gloopy etc. I can't fault how they last though on certain clients I do feel they are quite drying. Quite honestly it's a real treat if I'm able to return to an OPI Polish, however of course from the clients point of view they want to be out the door in covered shoes with lovely high shine polished nails that last.
I've been reading positive reports about All That Jazz polish, I'm wondering how it compares regarding drying time ? Having had a taste of very fast dry my ladies quite understandably aren't going to want to return to flip flops in winter.
Can anybody offer alternatives, I'm looking for lovely application, Polish that lasts, applies nicely, doesn't go thick, lasts to the bottom of the bottle or near enough, and dries quickly ! Thanks people in advance for any opinions......

I can't comment re how the bottle last over time, but can recommend OPI Infinite Shine. I got the free box set recently and so far with trials on my own feet and hands, the results are good. My toes have stayed super shiny which is a bonus (the fingers didn't, but I was renovating and they got caked in plaster, scuffed etc etc).
It says it's touch dry in 8 mins, totally dry in 15 mins. It seemed true to these times when I tested it (with a timer too!).
Just another option to consider. I know some reviews are hit and miss, but personally I will buy more as I find it perfect for toes!

Thank you Moth ! Approx double the drying time then but if the polish is better then worth considering. Of course there is the line of thought that Vinylux is so reasonably priced that early replacement isn't the be all and end all however, certain colours really aren't 'all that' and I am starting to seriously look around for an alternative.

What lamp do you use? I enjoy using cuccio veneer colours

Thanks for reply Loucal194 - yes Pure is right, I'm looking at regular polish. (As you can prob tell I've got in a muddle and think I may have posted this to site assistance !!! Thanks if someone has helped and moved to correct place - sorry).
I'm looking for Vinylux alternatives for my lovely pedi ladies who prefer polish but don't want to go down gel route. I feel like I've given them an option that they like but which I'm not benefitting from as much as I would like as their therapist. I don't feel that I can withdraw the rapid dry bonus now they've gotten used to it so am checking out other brands quick dry polishes to see if there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow !

I have the ATJ base and top coats and a couple colours (the colours I've not really used yet). The base coat I love and have been using constantly. The top coat sucks. My friend also bought the base and top, painted her nails, went to bed hours later and woke up with sheet marks!!! In my opinion, how quick a lacquer will dry is generally dependant on top coat. I recommend Seche Vite and also my new love is Hong Kong Girl top coat, which can only be bought in the UK from Rainbow Connection, so sadly no trade price, but it's under £7 anyway. I did a pedi on my mother in law and she had to dash to catch her coach and only had closed in shoes with her! I finished it with Seche Vite, she put her shoes on 15 minutes later and then did quite a bit of walking, dealing with public transport etc to get back to Somerset from London. Despite the really long journey and closed in shoes, she said her toes were perfect when she got in. I just hope she wasn't just being nice and secretly they were a mess! I have managed to wash my hair within 20 minutes of painting my own nails finishing with Seche, so I know it does really do a great job. The HK Girl one is very similar, but doesn't shrink the way Seche can and is less finicky. They are both stand alone top coats that can be used with various brands of lacquer.

I love all that jazz! Can't recommend it enough.
Dries so much faster than vinylux!!
I didn't really get the hype with it to be honest and I wasted a lot of money buying all the colours and was constantly buying new topcoats as they went thick really easily not to mention the colours going gloopy too! (and I'm pretty quick at polishing)

The colour range is fab and perfect coverage in 2 coats.

I don't have a problem with either of the 2 topcoats personally, I always do my nails at night before bed and they are still perfect the next morning.
xx

For pedis an opi polish with Seche vite topcoat is going to last and dry extremely quickly.
It really is amazing the seche vite topcoat. It does start to thicken after a while but you'll most likely use it up before this happens. You can buy their seche restore polish thinner to use if it goes thick and it makes it good as new. Also a bonus the restore makes any thickened polish thin again amazingly. It's rescued so many of mine, the best thinner ever. They apply perfectly like new.

You little beauties ! Thanks so much for your replies !
I'm liking both ideas so I'm going to get some Seche Vite - how fab if that means my large collection of OPI polishes can be resurrected (pleased I could never bear to part with them now), and I will try All That Jazz too.
I've always gotten along fine with the Vinylux topcoat to be honest but various colours are the problem. I'm loathe to replace them. Excited to try new things now.
Just one thing I can't get my head around....... Layers of polish take time to dry properly ......how then is it ok to apply a Seche Vite top coat onto a regular, non quick drying polish ? In my head logic is saying that the two layers beneath are being trapped but not dry and theoretically that should be an issue ?

Just one thing I can't get my head around....... Layers of polish take time to dry properly ......how then is it ok to apply a Seche Vite top coat onto a regular, non quick drying polish ? In my head logic is saying that the two layers beneath are being trapped but not dry and theoretically that should be an issue ?

Seche Vite is formulated to dry and harden all the layers, from the top down and it really does work! You apply it before the final colour coat is dry, whilst it's still a bit tacky, which will depend on how fast you polish and the lacquer you use. If you apply over dry polish it will likely peel off a day later. For a newbie who paints super slow - apply after every 2 or 3 fingers of the final colour coat. For most people I'd say apply it after the final coat of colour has gone on one hand (this is generally what I do because I often use a couple of different shades as accents which slows me down). If you paint lightening fast, apply it as soon as you've finished the colour coat on both hands (if I've just applied a simply one colour mani I usually do this). If you've had to use 3 coats of polish, or it happens to be quite a thick lacquer, you will want to apply it after both hands have had the final colour coat, if it's really thick you may want to wait a minute. Basically you want to apply before the colour sets and dries, but not whilst it's super wet, as it can streak. You want to get a large bead of Seche and float it on, ensuring full coverage and that you seal the free edge. It can shrink like gel, and it can pull the colour coat with it, so you must make sure you properly cover all the colour. It is amazing stuff though! Somewhere on the official Seche Vite website they have instructions and I think they're on the box too. It comes in a pro size too which is excellent value, same with the Restore thinner. Luella Belle is the UK distributer. Don't get the ridgefilling base coat though! 2 friends of mine have both had dehydration and delamination from it!

As I said, I've recently switched to the HK Girl topcoat. It's as good as Seche, but you can apply it over dry polish so you don't have to worry about the issues Seche can sometimes have. It's pricer though, but I also feel like I'm getting better wear with it. They are both great, nice thick glossy top coats and they don't smudge art either! x

I used seche vite for a couple years and nothing compared to it.. Until Lumos base and top coat from famous names came out (creators of IBX and dadi oil) and it was hugely loved on this forum and most people converted from seche.. In my opinion (and many others) it dries even faster, is shinier, wears better and doesn't thicken like seche does towards the last 3rd of the bottle (yes I know there's seche restore but still!) so if you haven't tried it before, try it! It's available from S2 and is very well priced! But ever since the release of shellac and the huge wave of gel polishes, and ever since the old colour & effects polishes by CND got replaced by vinylux on here it's been forgotten about and I haven't seen anyone mention it for agesssss!x

I've heard of Lumos, as you say years ago, somewhere at the back of my mind I have some memory of someone having to change a product name due to there being another of that name in existence...not sure if it was related to that. Will have a look in the S2 catalogue, thank you for that.
Carly yesterday I ordered the HK Girl topcoat as I already had an account with Rainbow Connection so I'm going to give that a go and I'm so pleased to think that there are some great alternatives out here, i will let you all know how it goes but I'm loving the idea that I can still use my OPI collection more than anything.
Thanks so much for all the time taken to reply and share.

Motherbird, do update us on how you get on! I ordered my second bottle last last week, with some stamping supplies whilst I was at it! The longevity of HK Girl is amazing me so far. Did my mani on Wednesday, I have just the tiniest bit of tip wear on a couple of nails, which can barely be seen, and the colour I used was from a cheap drugstore brand. I partied fairly hard this weekend and usually come home with my nails in a total state, but other than somehow breaking a tiny bit of the tip of my pinky, the actual manicure looks amazing. Seche could never have achieved this imo!

I tried the Lumos back when it came out, but stupidly just got a mini to test. You need a decent sized brush to make sure you properly float top coat on, so it was a bit of a fail for me! I am sure I've read somewhere that it works best with the base coat. They changed the name to Famous Names High Speed Top Coat and Instant Impact bottom Coat. Just went on S2 to have a look and OMG the price point on the 70ml is fantastic!! Jordan (if you see this), what's the wear like and do you still use this (and do you use the bottom coat?) on your basic mani pedi clients? I'm getting amazing results with the HK Girl, but the price point of Famous Names is making me debate switching now though.

I will definitely update Carly....hoping it's going to arrive any day. Omeya S2 is Sweet Squared, they are the UK distributer for CND and also supply other lines,,based in Leeds. Have a look online or order a catalogue to see their range.

Latest posts

Back