All your technical questions about Brisa Lite removable gel answered here

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! I've got a question I've often wondered about. I use clear tips with gel and understand that it will then cure both sides. But what if your doing an overlay on a long thick natural nail? Would that not be the same as using a normal tip? So does that mean it doesn't cure properly? And thanks geeg for all the time taken with this thread xxx

That is a really good question and one I completely understand as I have been overlaying extensions with both natural and French tips for years and never had a problem with separation or peeling etc as long as I used a clear gel so that the UV could penetrate all the way through it.

However to answer your question of course you can do a nno on a natural nail and you will get full cure with the CND lamp.

I am going to seek clarification on this point.

Thank you Waffle it makes perfect sense. :)
Can you just clarify do you do a patch repair using hard gel or do you do the entire nail?

I patch the silk over the split but coat the whole nail in gel x

Hi! I've got a question I've often wondered about. I use clear tips with gel and understand that it will then cure both sides. But what if your doing an overlay on a long thick natural nail? Would that not be the same as using a normal tip? So does that mean it doesn't cure properly? And thanks geeg for all the time taken with this thread xxx

After speaking to CND Research and Development peeps over the last week I finally have a better understanding of this very issue.

Let's compare a long natural nail and a nail that has been extended with a natural coloured tip. Yes they are the same colour (pretty much) and about the same thickness and (give or take) the same opacity. But, if we look at the two materials under a microscope and examine how light reflects/passes through the two materials we see how different they are.

Under extensive testing conditions CND have found we get great results and a proper cure over the natural nail. They have found that we get a much less consistently reliable result over a natural tip. So, clear tips remain the recommendation.

HTH

Last edited:
Good morning,

Suddenly thought of this question, if you are placing a clear tip on, would I need to buff the tip, I know you wouldn't the nail, but what about the shine on the actual tip would we need to make sure shine free?

Good morning,

Suddenly thought of this question, if you are placing a clear tip on, would I need to buff the tip, I know you wouldn't the nail, but what about the shine on the actual tip would we need to make sure shine free?

It's always a good idea to thin out the tip prior to application, not just to remove the shine from it but also to minimise the amount of actual tip in your application. So yes :)

Thankyou to both! I've had that one in my head since a few days after training and always forget to ask someone!!! Yea!!! X

Hi, if you're sculpting with the clear and have wiped the dispersion layer off to file finish and then want shellac colour do you apply shellac colour straight in top of the smooth sculpted nail or would you need to apply shellac basecoat first? Also would you need to use BL topcoat on the refined sculpt if you're following on with shellac?

Thanks ladies you're really helping us out here

Great thread, with great information.

Please keep it to technical questions and answers geeks.....thank you can be said by PM or by hearting a post (click on the heart) or by giving reputation points(click on the green box) then the information will flow better and all the technical information won't get lost in a sea of thanks.

Cheers.

Hi, if you're sculpting with the clear and have wiped the dispersion layer off to file finish and then want shellac colour do you apply shellac colour straight in top of the smooth sculpted nail or would you need to apply shellac basecoat first? Also would you need to use BL topcoat on the refined sculpt if you're following on with shellac?

No need for CND Shellac UV Base Coat, first colour layer goes right on the file finished Brisa Lite Sculpting Gel (after wiping with d.sperce (99%IPA).

No need for Brisa Lite Top Coat if finishing with CND Shellac. Finish with the Top Coat that goes with the system you chose for the colour layers.

Can brisa lite be cured in the 18g led lamp. sorry if it's a silly question. but was just wondering x

Can brisa lite be cured in the 18g led lamp. sorry if it's a silly question. but was just wondering x

The CND UV Lamp is currently the only lamp on the market that will cure Brisa Lite properly.

Thanks ladies you're really helping us out here

This question is answered fully in post number 79 of this thread.

Hi,
I was wondering about infills with brisa lite, do you need to file around the cuticle if there is no lifting? I assume not, but want to be sure :)

Many thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Hi,
I was wondering about infills with brisa lite, do you need to file around the cuticle if there is no lifting? I assume not, but want to be sure :)

Many thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Great question and the answer is no, you would just need to do your product file prep in the normal way but with a soft file and not touch the natural nail with anything but your PEP products. :biggrin:

After speaking to CND Research and Development peeps over the last week I finally have a better understanding of this very issue.

Let's compare a long natural nail and a nail that has been extended with a natural coloured tip. Yes they are the same colour (pretty much) and about the same thickness and (give or take) the same opacity. But, if we look at the two materials under a microscope and examine how light reflects/passes through the two materials we see how different they are.

Under extensive testing conditions CND have found we get great results and a proper cure over the natural nail. They have found that we get a much less consistently reliable result over a natural tip. So, clear tips remain the recommendation.

HTH

Fantastic description. Really easy to visualise.
Thanks
Vicki x

could you apply bl smoothing on it's own including BL top coat.
and add (potentially at a later time) shellac over the top?

could you apply bl smoothing on it's own including BL top coat.
and add (potentially at a later time) shellac over the top?

Sure ... but when you had added the Shellac colour you would finish with Shellac top coat. Always finish with the top coat that goes with the system you are using.

Great question and the answer is no, you would just need to do your product file prep in the normal way but with a soft file and not touch the natural nail with anything but your PEP products. :biggrin:

When rebalancing, would the BL Base coat go over the whole nail or just the regrowth area?

I'm very new to gel, well this is the first time ive tried it, and I tried the smoothing gel on a willing volunteer on one nail (the mail hairdresser lol). I don't actually know how to apply? Do you just brush it on like polish, this is what I did but I'm not sure if I've put on enough either.

I am going to the fingertips centre on Sunday for a demo day (hope to see you there Fee) so I will find out more then but I'm dying to do my own nails first!!!

No need for CND Shellac UV Base Coat, first colour layer goes right on the file finished Brisa Lite Sculpting Gel (after wiping with d.sperce (99%IPA).

No need for Brisa Lite Top Coat if finishing with CND Shellac. Finish with the Top Coat that goes with the system you chose for the colour layers.

Excellent clear answer thank you (I know we're not meant to post thank you's but I'm on my phone and can't heart ;) x

Latest posts

Back