Allergic reaction - on myself

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I've had few splits on my right hand index and thumb for a couple of weeks, and every time I use acetone it stings like hell and they will not heel up. I try to use other fingers but its difficult.

Ive been trying to use my left hand for acetone and Dsperse. But tonight its really bad. My finger and thumb are quite pink, warmer than the other fingers, and the index finger is throbbing. Now the middle finger is sore near the nail edge.

I've also got a little bumpy rash, like tiny raised dots under the skin, which break like blisters when I scratch like mad, which I do cos they itch sooo much

Am I allergic to my products? Anyone else had this and what did you do to help it? I've been doing nails 10 years.

What a nightmare. :(

I get this with the warm weather, I just take Anti histimines and it clears up. Otherwise my fingers are left bumpy and with broken skin like after a blister. I've not had a split in my thumb though x

Sounds like you need to go to dr. Could be a fungus

I get this with the warm weather, I just take Anti histimines and it clears up. Otherwise my fingers are left bumpy and with broken skin like after a blister. I've not had a split in my thumb though x

Just to add when I went the doc about it she said it was chilblains

I've wrote a similar post tonight, I don't have the split but have the itchy bumpy rash. I'm not sure of It was from the acetone or the monomer, I plan to go to walk in centre this weekend before I chop my hand off :/ hope you get yours sorted, I can fully sympathise with you, it's awful xx

Hi Blossom,
I think you may have contact dermatitis. I am suffering from it at the moment and its a nuisance. Initially itchy tiny blisters appear followed by sore cracked dry skin. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what may be causing it as everything you use ends up stinging. I've narrowed mine down to gel polish so am extremely careful not to let it touch my skin. It may be worth a trip to your GP to get a diagnosis/treatment.

Hope you are soon on the mend.

Sounds like you need to go to dr. Could be a fungus

I've googled pics of fungus and it doesn't look like the same sort of thing at all, (thank goodness) but thanks anyway.

And the fact that when I use my left hand for products (learning to be ambidextrous) the right hand starts to heal a little, makes me think its definitely an allergic thing.

Will take an antihistamine and see if that helps as well.

Going to get some gloves too I think.

Probably contact dermatitis

I also get this if I let any of my gels touch my skin! I now wear gloves and take antihistamines and all is fine again 😀 xx

DO NOT SCRATCH! I mentioned this on another thread. It's most likely contact dermatitis, although that should be confirmed with a trip to the GP since we're really not supposed to be diagnosing anything. Over-the-counter hydrocortisone creams and antihistimines should help relieve the itching. Stay away from the steroid creams because they can thin the skin if used too much, especially on hands and face. And start stocking up on nitrile gloves and getting in the habit of using them when using the products that set them off and when cleaning your equipment and tools. They are a life saver when you get these reactions.

Hydrocortisone IS a steroid cream...

The ones you can buy over the counter are very weak, so shouldn't thin the skin and are probably enough to be effective. It's the prescription strength you need to be more wary of.

That's what I meant. Over the counter ones don't do what the prescription ones do. They're not as strong but still effective with the itching.

Would you not just put gloves on and see how it goes?

Uncured gel on the skin, also sanitiser will do this.
Wear barrier cream(also up your arms to keep any nail dust off) & must wear gloves.

DO NOT SCRATCH! I mentioned this on another thread. It's most likely contact dermatitis, although that should be confirmed with a trip to the GP since we're really not supposed to be diagnosing anything. Over-the-counter hydrocortisone creams and antihistimines should help relieve the itching. Stay away from the steroid creams because they can thin the skin if used too much, especially on hands and face. And start stocking up on nitrile gloves and getting in the habit of using them when using the products that set them off and when cleaning your equipment and tools. They are a life saver when you get these reactions.

I realise this post is a couple of weeks old but am having the same problems. I can't use latex gloves as I am ALSO allergic to these. I switched to Vinyl but had to stop as the acetone was melting the tips of the gloves. What are Nitrile gloves? I have never heard of them. I am HOPING this is the answer to all my prayers!!!

I realise this post is a couple of weeks old but am having the same problems. I can't use latex gloves as I am ALSO allergic to these. I switched to Vinyl but had to stop as the acetone was melting the tips of the gloves. What are Nitrile gloves? I have never heard of them. I am HOPING this is the answer to all my prayers!!!

Sweet squared sell them, they are latex free gloves that don't melt with the products used! I'm also allergic to latex and these are brilliant gloves. I don't work for the company, just a great product lol xxx

I also had this problem but since I started washing my hands with Dermal lotion ( I use it as I would a liquid soap) have had no problems at all ......I get mine from the doctor but I'm sure you can buy it over the counter, please try as it really works :hug::hug:

Nitrile gloves, are a must for me now. Better be safe and sorry. I also use Dermashield, look it up. they are like skin gloves.

Just to update as I posted this before my hols...

went away for 2 weeks and finger and thumb healed perfectly

2 or 3 days after working again, they started to split and sting. Since then I have been applying Epaderm (eczema/psoriasis/dry skin cream) all the time, and as I am ok with latex I have bought some gloves and as wearing the whole gloves just makes me hot and grumpy I cut the fingers off and just wear the fingers! They are easy to just pull off after the acetone stage and slip on again later if necessary. And Im almost healed again.

How are you all getting on? x

Just to update as I posted this before my hols...

went away for 2 weeks and finger and thumb healed perfectly

2 or 3 days after working again, they started to split and sting. Since then I have been applying Epaderm (eczema/psoriasis/dry skin cream) all the time, and as I am ok with latex I have bought some gloves and as wearing the whole gloves just makes me hot and grumpy I cut the fingers off and just wear the fingers! They are easy to just pull off after the acetone stage and slip on again later if necessary. And Im almost healed again.

How are you all getting on? x

Good news that you've found something that's working for you! I've discovered that it's the sani pure that's causing my reaction and now either just cut it out all together or move my fingers away while spraying, I've had either no reaction or only a very small one since xx

Latest posts

Back