SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Issue has been resolved.

Last edited:
I think you just need to wait until the client has seen the dermatologist before carrying out any treatments on her.
You've done exactly the right thing. Just be supportive and encouraging for the condition to be sorted out in good time.

I agree with @CFBS
Out if interest what brand are you using?

I’ve always used a few different gel polish brands. Typically En vogue or OPI as my gel polish mani brands.

Are you using a matched lamp and brand?
Have you used The Gel Bottle?
You might want to join the Nail Tech Awareness FB group for lots of allergy information

I’m not using the same nail lamp brand as I use two different brands of gel polish. But I do ensure it’s the proper wattage for curing purposes. She said they feel swollen and itchy and is going to take a Benadryl. I believe she has them so picked at and sore they’re swelling on her now as well as the dryness causing them to itch. I’m hoping the dermatologist can resolve it for her.

I’m not using the same nail lamp brand as I use two different brands of gel polish. But I do ensure it’s the proper wattage for curing purposes. She said they feel swollen and itchy and is going to take a Benadryl. I believe she has them so picked at and sore they’re swelling on her now as well as the dryness causing them to itch. I’m hoping the dermatologist can resolve it for her.

Wattage has absolutely no relevance to curing products. Read this post Pinned Post regarding the absolute need to use a proven matched system.

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/u...-just-won’t-do-updated-september-2019.323988/

I use 2-3 polish brands so do not match up lamps

Last edited:
i can assure you, im not going to purchase 2-3 different lamps to use with each different product I have. That seems unreasonable entirely. I cannot buy a nail lamp for the system I just a majority of time as it does not make one. They make gel polish and hard gel only.

Then you run the risk of causing allergic reactions on your clients

Plenty of nail techs use more than one brand, let's face it one brand doesn't suit all clients, but we use the right lamp for the right product. You have a responsibility to yourself and your clients to keep them safe. Mixing and matching brands with unproven lamps is dangerous to someones health.

If your brand of choice says 'any lamp" then you might want to do some further research into the chemicals you are using and review your arrangements.

The gel lamp I use is a professional lamp for the gel and gel polish I mainly use. Which requires the same amount of power for both brands. I’m an over researcher. My light is LED/UV and I always ensure to cure proper amount of time depending on the brand. I’ve never had this happen to a client before and I’ve been in the business 8+ years. I have deep research into every product I use and know what I am using on all of my clients to ensure proper use as well as allergy issues. I’ve been doing this clients nails for 5 years and we have never changed anything. All of my products are made by a professional established brand.
It is “9 free” and the healthiest of options. That’s majority of what I use on my clients. I never mix systems though. I always use proper top coats with proper colour and base. The only thing that is consistent is my lamp.

This issue hasn’t happened to any of my other clients and with history of psorisis in her family she is going to see a dermatologist for her best approach for the future.

The gel lamp I use is a professional lamp for the gel and gel polish I mainly use. Which requires the same amount of power for both brands. I’m an over researcher. My light is LED/UV and I always ensure to cure proper amount of time depending on the brand. I’ve never had this happen to a client before and I’ve been in the business 8+ years. I have deep research into every product I use and know what I am using on all of my clients to ensure proper use as well as allergy issues. I’ve been doing this clients nails for 5 years and we have never changed anything. All of my products are made by a professional established brand.
It is “9 free” and the healthiest of options. That’s majority of what I use on my clients. I never mix systems though. I always use proper top coats with proper colour and base. The only thing that is consistent is my lamp.

This issue hasn’t happened to any of my other clients and with history of psorisis in her family she is going to see a dermatologist for her best approach for the future.

While you may disagree with Trinity's advice (although why? She's absolutely correct! And you're also disagreeing with people like Doug Schoon, and Jan Arnold), but the bottom line is that by not using the manufacturers' required lamp, you have invalidated your insurance. If money is your issue, you have wasted 8+ years of insurance payments by paying for insurance that will automatically reject a claim because you did not follow the manufacturer's instructions. I use two brands and have two lamps. It's easy. A lamp is not a huge investment, certainly less than a year's insurance.

Where I am in Canada we must undergo over a year of schooling and pass two practical exams as well as two final written in order to hold a license as well as keep up with it yearly in order to work. I’m well versed in my nail knowledge. I graduated at the top of my class, so please try not to shrug me off as disregarding anyone as I’ve taken classes with some of the best in the world including CND’s Jan Arnold who told me my work was “immaculate.”

In this case, though Trinity had some ideas of what the issue may be, it was in fact determined to be a psorisis flare up and dermatitis due to work cleaners by her doctor causing it to be uncomfortable. Not my polish nor my lamp not matching.

I do not know of any nail techs other than in this thread who have multiple lamps to match their collection of polish. Everywhere I have worked has always had one lamp per nail desk and tech.

I use the nail lamp that best matches my gel needs. I use the artistic line mostly for building therefore that is the lamp I use. When doing gel polish I ensure to cure as the polish directions say to, For LED- 60seconds, UV- 2mins etc, etc. My lamp also has a low heat setting which I use often for clients who have sensitive nails. It is more than adequate. I have been looking into a new one that isn’t released and plan to purchase when it is available. It’s created by the same people majority of my polish is made by.

This has NOT happened to any other clients of mine just this one client. So this thread isn’t needed to go on any further.

Because I’m frustrated with finger pointing and feeling ganged up on. I thought this forum was a safe space that professionals could come and chat and help each other. I thought it was a great tool to have.

But instead of that, I was told I’m basically a moron and know nothing about my profession. If I could delete the entire post, I would have. And for that. I’m out.

"9-free" has absolutely no relevance to gel polish because the terminology of 3-free, 5-free etc only related to nail polish ingredients, which are not used in any gel polish.

Yes, this is a professional forum. That means if a professional makes untrue statements - albeit not intentionally, but due to the education received - it is important that accurate facts are stated for the benefit of others. We have enough lies and false information in this industry much of it spread by brands to sell more products and "educators" who have not been properly educated.

This leads leads many to make poor choices for their own health and that of their clients - which has resulted in an enormous increase in nail product allergies and is one of the reasons the industry is rarely viewed by consumers as professional, which is also why prices remained low the past 20 years and in real terms (considering costs and inflation), get lower every year.

Because I’m frustrated with finger pointing and feeling ganged up on. I thought this forum was a safe space that professionals could come and chat and help each other. I thought it was a great tool to have.

But instead of that, I was told I’m basically a moron and know nothing about my profession. If I could delete the entire post, I would have. And for that. I’m out.

Nobody pointed fingers or ganged up on you, most of this thread was just you and me. Hardly a gang is it. No one called you a moron, I did however point out gaps in your knowledge, I even provided links and resources for you to investigate for yourself. Did you take the opportunity, nope, you got a defensive.

help each other. I thought it was a great tool to have

And that's exactly what we've done. Just because it's not what you wanted to hear doesn't mean we weren't helping. And how exactly are you helping anyone but deleting a posts content??

Perhaps this thread might suggest that you think about streamlining your product ranges. Yes, to have all the right products to go with 3 or more systems is financially unfeasible. Therefore gradually move to just having 2 systems, that way you will be able to stock the correct products and lamps for each system which will ensure correct curing for your clients. If you have various systems it is tempting to start mixing colours / base coats/ top coats from different brands but of course this is not how the nail companies have formulated their products. After all they have spent probably millions on researching their system to be chemically compatible at each stage to give a safe and long lasting gel service for your clients.
As you are using OPI, which is a long standing reputable company, why not get their lamp first so you can start streamlining your stock. Often you can buy the lamp at a discount with promotional bundles of colours. Watch out for them on their professional website or their facebook page.

Latest posts

Back