Allergic reaction to acrylic-want to swap systems, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey everyone :) i'm new to this site so i hope im doing it right?!?!?!

Ok so I have had a pretty severe allergic reaction to acrylic (due to over-exposure - my own fault but you live and learn eh :/) ... Itching (like crazy), tingling, blisters etc...

About 75% of my business is Acrylics so i really don't want to have to stop. This week i've double gloved with cotton gloves and nitrile over the top... Fine while i'm doing it (if a little cack handed) but 4-5 hours later the itching & tingling returns and lasts all night :(

Soooo ive been reading on here and looking for advice. Am thinking of trying a CND L+P system as I understand its hypo-allergenic?? But which one do I try? Has anyone else overcome this problem?

Any suggestions/advice pleaseeee!!!

Thank you :)

Lou
xxx

I have read that some people don't get a reaction from radical or retention. It would probably be best to give a rep a holler to get more information on the products :)

The only way I found to overcome it was to change to gel, which I know isnt particularly what you want to do. In particular I choose Brisa Gel and am now incredibly precise about not getting anything on my skin.

Hi lou

Firstly Im very sorry to hear of your situation - it saddens and frustrated me immensely that over exposure is not rigorously explained and warned in nail technician training. It really is a serious hazard and can be the end of a technicians career...

CND teach and explain a lot more about the chemicals we use daily and how they can be safely worked with...

If indeed it is an allergy to monomer (a very real irritant that can lead to allergy) then there may be no solution for you but to change to a different system.

Many techs report that changing brand does not trigger their reaction. BUT continuing to over expose yourself will lead to allergy with the new product. Gloves and some serious changed to your habits will still need to be undertaken.

CND l&p is not 'hypoallergenic' but in saying that the ingredients are different to other brands so it MAY be possible it won't trigger a reaction without over exposure

CND brisa gel on the other hand is more hypoallergenic as the monomer is actually already partially formed into longer chains - which makes them less likely to irritate soft tissue and trigger the body's alarm

Contact CND and talk it through with their helpfull staff
Welcome - Sweet Squared

Allergic reaction is a histamine response the body produces when it 'thinks' it's under attack. Once it develops the reaction to a foreign material it will generally always be inclined to respond with a reaction.

In the case of monomer you will find even filings from a fresh set contain enough
particles to trigger the reaction. Hence you can react hours later after cleaning up the filings...

Sadly once allergic - always allergic

I truly wish you the beat of luck in finding a way to continue working...

Hi Lou,
I had the same problem as you mainly due to over-exposure of the product while I was training. A course of hydrocortisone cream from the doctor, and a switch of products from NSI to CND L&P and I've never had a problem since. Hope you get sorted out soon! x

Don't blame yourself...I am very allergic to any gel that is not cnd brisa and i know it's not an over exposure thing because i get a rash EVERYWHERE if exposed to any gel other than Brisa.

Go to A and E for some antihistamines and stop use immediately of the product that has this effect on you because no matter if you wear gloves or not, it sounds like it it too severe to be prevented to be honest (talking from experience here).

Fingers crossed that CND l and p works for you! So far I have found them to be the most skin friendly nail products :)

Thank you Guys! That has been really helpful, I think i'm going to try CND L+P and also make an effort to improve the way I work!!
Fingers crossed I wont react to it!! Wish me luck!! Lou x
:cool:

Thank you, I have heard this too so think I am going to give the trial retention+ a go! :) xx

Hi i am new on here so i hope i am replying to the correct thread , i am a nail tech and 5 days before xmas my hand all broke down blisters around my cuticles skin on the tips of all my finger peel about 6 lares of skin so very sore , i went to see a dermatoligist who told me it was an allergic reaaction and you can become allergic to different things on your 7 yrs cycle, well i am 42 so i was thinking he must know what he is talking about , i took stroid creams full histamine block to get my body and levels back right and to get my hand heald as it lifted all my own nails from the nail bed i was devastated:sad: , i tried last week gel and they have done the same again , i am thinking as i found out monomer is in gel too is it that or is it acetone , nail varnish remover , nail pure cleanse oh this list is endless , i really want to start doing nails again but i could cry with the state and soreness of my fingers , i am reading cnd l&p works but i dont want to spend all that money again if the same is going to happen , has anyone got any feedback please x

Hi i am new on here so i hope i am replying to the correct thread , i am a nail tech and 5 days before xmas my hand all broke down blisters around my cuticles skin on the tips of all my finger peel about 6 lares of skin so very sore , i went to see a dermatoligist who told me it was an allergic reaaction and you can become allergic to different things on your 7 yrs cycle, well i am 42 so i was thinking he must know what he is talking about , i took stroid creams full histamine block to get my body and levels back right and to get my hand heald as it lifted all my own nails from the nail bed i was devastated:sad: , i tried last week gel and they have done the same again ,

7 year cycle? this is one of the most bizarre things I've heard??
Allergies can develop at any stage, for some it may never happen, some - first time exposure and for most it will develop over a period of time with overexposure...

i am thinking as i found out monomer is in gel too is it that or is it acetone , nail varnish remover , nail pure cleanse oh this list is endless , i really want to start doing nails again but i could cry with the state and soreness of my fingers , i am reading cnd l&p works but i dont want to spend all that money again if the same is going to happen , has anyone got any feedback please x

here is the allergy ladder - this explains the likelyhood of a particular system causing allergy - acetone is not on there as it's so unlikely (if not impossible to develop an allergy to it)

The ladder of sensitivity... the higher you go, the more sensative you can become... leading to nasty allergys

Top of the ladder - highest chance of allergy
|_|
|_| Traditional Gels
|_| Odourless liquid & powder
|_| Acid based primers
|_| Ema Liquid & powder
|_| brisa gel
|_| Wraps & resin
|_|
Bottom of the ladder - lowest chance of allergy

Hths

I developed an allergic reaction to Ezflow some years ago...I converted over to CND ...and have been fine since ....

Thanks for the advice guys!
My hands have had a 2 week break and with the help of hydrocortisone cream and antihistamine tablets are now feeling much better...

.....so tonight Im trying out CND Retention L+P (and im going to work as cleanly as is humanly possible!!!)

Eeek... wish me luck! :lol:

xxx

If I caught you in time, just touch it to your finger. Don't do a full set... I'm going to find the other post right now!

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

I'm allergic to retention, so try ONE finger, just touch it. That's all. Do NOT apply it. lol.
Here's my list so far...
Allergic to
retention , but I CAN use the radical/solar, no problem.
allergic to ibd soak off pots, I CAN use the bottled just gel.
Allergic to
gelish,
opi clarite,
opi gels,
Star Eco soak off gels
I CAN use
Shellac
forever French - both regular gel and soak off gels, but I don't know if she ships out of the states.
Please feel free to ask me anything vía facebook, its an awful thing to go thru. And strikes me randomly as I try new products. If you haven't felt this for yourself, there is NO way to accurately describe this horrific sleep depriving situation.
(i didn't want to type all that again, lol) I wish I knew how to link the other thread for you...

I just realized you were the same Louise as the other thread, lol.
Doh moment! I'll leave the post tho, as someone else may see this one and not the other. :)

Thank you for your messages!

So to update.... I tried CND Retention and had some itching, did another set and slightly more itching :/ (this was using gloves And working cleanly) As this was how my other acrylic allergy started I didnt want to tempt fate and have it progress into another full blown allergic reaction so I have ditched retention.

As a last ditch attempt at being able to continue in some way with acrylics, I have now tried CND Radical.... and after 4 sets I have so far had no noticeable reaction... :D

Fingers crossed this might be the one for me?!!!

Just read this post..
How awful for you honey, I really sympathise. I am very prone to my skin becoming allergic to things so I know how horrid it is (I'm even allergic to my white gold wedding ring lol) but when it's your business at stake it must be very upsetting :hug:
I really hope youve found something that is ok for you to use.
I use Shellac and Brisa gel, so I'm hoping I don't encounter any problems xx

I developed an allergic reaction to Ezflow some years ago...I converted over to CND ...and have been fine since ....
I just got the cnd retention monomer because with other monomers I was having allergic reactions, but do I have to use their retention powder to avoid an allergic reaction? It's expensive, and I don't want to buy it if I don't have to, I see Mia secret is really responsible.. Is it only the monomer that was gives people allergic reactions, not the powders, right? So it shouldn't matter...idk... Can u give me your opinion please... Thank u so much

You're treating this like its a light and laughing matter. You developed an allergy because you didn't want to follow instructions. And now you have to switch professions.

Louise, this is a serious thing. If you can, please post pictures of the allergy so that people here can learn from it. For a nail tech, doing nails is their livelihood.

This thread is more than 6 years old and the OP hasn’t been back to the site since 2013.
I’m closing the thread here and request that @Angela janosi create a new thread to ask her question to current members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back