Allergic reaction to Dove soap?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieBeauty

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just after a bit of info/advice. My bf used dove soap on his face and came up in what looked like sunburn & was even stinging while he was using it (he's never used it before). Is this common?? I'm asking any skin/hair geeks after an interesting thread on Alkaline/skin ph's in the hair forum last week.

Can anyone shed any light on why this might be or what he should avoid? Just thought I'd fish around your collective knowledge & experience!

Thanks,
J Xx

He should avoid using soap on his face full stop! My other half would never think of doing that, a good skincare regime is so important. Steer him in the direction of a nice gentle cleanser, referably a non-foaming one x

I can't offer any scientific reasons to why, but from personal experience, I had the same, thankfully I only washed my hands in it, but it was horrible stuff :-(

Thanks guys. I've instructed him to buy a gentle cleanser as he's out today but will see what he comes home with.

He normally washes his face with radox shower gel!!

Hi, there's nothing wrong with using soap on your face, millions of people have been doing it for years!! I do suspect that Dove isnt a very gentle soap though, it's very heavily perfumed, I switched to it recently because it was on special offer and my 16 year old daughter used it in the shower and got thrush.

If he prefers to use soap on his face a nice gentle unscented one would be ideal, Simple do a nice one.

Thanks Chelle. I did tell him to look out for Simple, to give him an idea, or anything gentle or mild!!

It was such an horrendous reaction I couldn't believe it! Xx

Thanks guys. I've instructed him to buy a gentle cleanser as he's out today but will see what he comes home with.

He normally washes his face with radox shower gel!!

NOOOOO!!! :suprised:

NOOOOO!!! :suprised:

Well the full story, usually uses radox. Ran out of that, (doesn't bother to ask where I've 'hidden' a spare bottle in the bathroom cabinet!) so uses hand wash yesterday, didn't like it, so uses Dove today, and shaves with it, then comes out looking like a tomato!!

This is the only way I've ever managed to get some moisturiser on his face.

I think I'll be buying him the Clinique range for Christmas!

Hi, there's nothing wrong with using soap on your face, millions of people have been doing it for years!! I do suspect that Dove isnt a very gentle soap though, it's very heavily perfumed, I switched to it recently because it was on special offer and my 16 year old daughter used it in the shower and got thrush.

If he prefers to use soap on his face a nice gentle unscented one would be ideal, Simple do a nice one.

Yeah dove isn't very gentle at all. It is the only soap or shower gel my other half will use though because it removes all the dried on oil and cement mixes he uses at work everyday to make roof tiles! So gentle is one thing dove is not!!!

xxx

It won't be the soap he's allergic to it will be an ingredient in it! And probably because he shaved with it!
There is nothing wrong with a foaming cleanser most men like them as they are easy to use and feel like soap, but do not contain soap!
I would recommend dermalogica special cleansing gel. Quite pricey but worth every penny and will last him forever!

Great, thanks for the recommendation!

Here's hoping he'll listen now! Xx

Sounds a bit like acid mantle reaction. Dove boasts that it is 'ph neutral'... Our skin is not, it is in fact slightly acidic which is why when we use something that is a different PH from what its used to it can throw a bit of a wobbler.

This is why the likes of Johnsons baby shampoo and 'no tears' formulas often do nothing to help cradle cap, they are made to the same PH of our eyes (alkaline) so they don't sting.

If you do a wee bit of research about the acid mantle you might find something that will calm you man's skin down, off the top of my head I would say try milk but don't hold me to that lol.

Ps. Simple is really bad stuff, not 'simple' at all.

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek

My daughter is allergic to all the Dove products...they give her a rash & make her itchy.

Thanks Chelle. I did tell him to look out for Simple, to give him an idea, or anything gentle or mild!!

It was such an horrendous reaction I couldn't believe it! Xx

I usually buy Simple because my husband prefers to wash his face with soap, but I must admit I do like the Dove soap for one reason and that is because it smells so lovely and clean, I just bought the liquid body wash too which also smells gorgeous but again is too heavily scented to be good for you. Its difficult to strike a balance if like me you like a gentle product thats good for the skin but also smells nice.

Pears is another nice soap, or any of the vegetable glycerine ones.

Well I'm a bit rubbish & use Dove for my face & love it!

Any thoughts on this, he's brought this home I know nothing about ingredients & haven't heard of it.

Thanks to all the lovely geeks for your input, I think I'll treat him to Dermalogica for Christmas & I'm sure he'll not appreciate it as he just wants Lego (dweeb) :D Xx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1350328524.651206.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1350328524.651206.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,560
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1350328541.330868.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1350328541.330868.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 1,736
Love your nails! My hubby the same last yr I bought him Clinique oh my god it was awful then got him elmis (whatever it's called) amazing products! But he only used when he remembers! And didn't appreciate the 100 odd quid I'd spent!

Latest posts

Back