Allergic reaction to gel eye pads after semi permanent eyelash extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clairgill

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just a little advice needed and also to share my experience. I'm a stickler for patch testing (tints, lash lifting, eyelash extensions etc). I always do it without fail. However, I've had a client who's had a reaction to the lint free gel eye pads- has anyone else had this? Do you normally patch test for these too? I was never trained to test for a reaction to the pad.
I did this ladies semi permanent lash extensions three weeks ago (I was there all day doing her and her friends beauty treatments for a wedding). About three hours after the first treatment it looked like a bite had come up on her face, which is what we believed it to be. I did her lash infills last night, and during the night an even worse reaction has come up, she has swollen under eyes and red patches in the exact shape of the patches. Obviously I've given her full advice what to do and won't be using these on the client again. The lash extensions themselves are fine and no reaction to the glue at all (patch tested prior to first set). I just really wanted to know if anyone else has had this? I will now cut a ting piece of a pad off and place behind the clients ear when patch testing, does anyone else do this? Can anyone recommend any alternative pads for sensitive skin? I used eyelash emporium lint free under eye patches. TIA, Clair x ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1404371841.433370.jpg

yes this has happened to me once, using nouveau gel pads while doing lvl lash lift

we do our best and patch test as per manufactures instructions but sometimes these things happen, my ladies got some antihistamine and skin settled down quickly

i offered her a free soothing facial in goodwill, but not a refund as i had done my job properly

Hi Clair,
I bought the same EE under eye collagen gel pads for lash extensions 2 yrs ago when I trained. I found when I used them, most clients found them initially nice (cool and soothing) but then complained of itching and burning or their eyes were watery. I had several complaints so I stopped using them completely and resort to using micropore tape ever since and nobody reacted to that. Also I found that the gel pads move, they don't stay put, so tape is more effective. Maybe other brands of gel pads would be better but to be honest I think I'll stick to tape. I do ask clients though if they have a preference and if they want gel pad I would use it. I always patch test for glue, remover, primer but not for the collagen pads!

please help.. i had a client and she had a reaction with micropore tape as well. i have used it for 2 years n never happened anything wrong. i have asked hr to use antihistamine eyedrops.
now what should i use if not micropore tape and gel pads ??

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

please help.. i had a client and she had a reaction with micropore tape as well. i have used it for 2 years n never happened anything wrong. i have asked hr to use antihistamine eyedrops.
now what should i use if not micropore tape and gel pads ??

I find transpire tape comes away from the skin easier, it's translucent though and not white so slightly hard to see lashes x

but what if we initially use that on skin first and then cover top with micropore tape so that we can still see and yet no harm to skin

but what if we initially use that on skin first and then cover top with micropore tape so that we can still see and yet no harm to skin

I do that sometimes, ☺️ just have to be careful not to let it touch the skin x

Latest posts

Back