Allergic reaction to Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GemmiLou

Newbie Nail Tech
Reaction score
Hi all!!

Im just after some of your professional opinions and thoughts please regarding a reaction my friend has started getting.
Firstly just to let you know, I am a pro nail tech and trained in Shellac!

My friend Amy has messaged me tonight asking for advice as she keeps getting itchy nails and red hands. So right away I've asked her what she has been using and she said that she bought Shellac from ebay and has been using the red carpet manicure base and top coat with the shellac along with a cheapo uv lamp also from ebay. She has done no training and is also not prepping her nails correctly either....

I said it will defo be a mix or all of those things that she is doing wrong, ie you should only use professional shellac top and base coat with professional shellac NOT bought from ebay and be using the proper CND lamp. Obvious clear advice right?
But she is saying that she has been using it for months and has only just started to get a reaction and she does the same thing on her toes and her feet are fine. She only gets a reaction 4 hours after she has done her nails.
So she is questioning specifically what it could be and IF she is allergic to it , why is it not affecting her feet?? Its strange. So like I said I think its a mix of all those things, just thought I would see what you girls think?

Thanks for the reply! Yes she is a ticking time bomb isnt she, :rolleyes: Ive given her lots of advice which I sometimes think she takes on board but she doesnt really have the money to keep getting her nails done professionally so she just does it herself buying off ebay, shes so silly bless her. Ive advised her to leave it off for a whole then to get it done professionally to see the difference!

PS: she is not a professional she has not trained in shellac at all just to clarify.

Sorry Gemmilou, I went in to edit what I wrote and deleted the whole thing :smack:

Problem with ignoring these things is the reaction can just get worse and then she won't be able to use anything.
If she can't afford to get them done professionally then she's better off using something like CND Vinylux.

She's asking for trouble playing around but at the end of the day you can only give her the best advice you can, after that it's down to her.

Yes you are 100% right! Its exactly what Ive told her and this time im hoping she will listen! I think she will as she is suffering at the moment with the itchiness so I think its worried her. Ill try and persuade her to buy the CND vinylux instead. Is there an online site where can she purchase that without having to be a nail pro? I dont buy it as I only use shellac.

I would buy in the colours she wants in CND Vinylux, then you can retail them to her :)

Haha. Good idea! Thanks for your help!:biggrin:

Yes you are 100% right! Its exactly what Ive told her and this time im hoping she will listen! I think she will as she is suffering at the moment with the itchiness so I think its worried her. Ill try and persuade her to buy the CND vinylux instead. Is there an online site where can she purchase that without having to be a nail pro? I dont buy it as I only use shellac.

The only authorised sellers of CND Shellac are Sweet Squared and Ellison's. Neither will sell to Joe/Josephine Public. Re allergy just starting, I was brought up eating a wide variety of shellfish, but after eating some cockles (not to everyone's taste) I had a severe reaction. Now can no longer enjoy shellfish of any type. According to my GP, that's pretty much how I'll stay. Hth :)

Latest posts

Back