Allergic reaction?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvia.

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently started to do spray tan and I love it! I use nouvatan. I did have spray tan before and I had nouvatan on 3 times since I started in may. I was fine with it but this time I started to have red itchy spots on the back of my legs. I hope it's something else as I absolutely love spray tan and don't want to go without it. I never had allergic reaction to spray tan before. Anyone seen spray tan allergy before and can tell me this is not it???

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338801340.422203.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338801340.422203.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 3,573
Those look like bites hun have u been out with bare legs. I was the same last week got attacked by every insect going around

I can't even remember anymore what I was wearing before I noticed it. I rather this be bites than allergy. I cannot be without spray tan but it got me really worried. Never had anything like this before. Thank you, you made me feel better xxx

Looks like the bites I get when out in tall grasses/near reservoirs, your local chemist might give you antihistamines if they are bothering you. I think if it was the tan it wouldn't be just in that small area :)

Lindsey x

Aaww thank you. It's is less itchy now and it is on back of my both legs. I hope it will be gone soon. Xxx

Have you been eating strawberries? Some foods produce histamine and can cause hives quite randomly lol

However, on the legs I would usually blame tall grass or animals for this xx

No strawberries but I had full box (from tesco) of raspberries :)

Lol probably just some bugs, hungry now! :)

:))) I'm happy to say I'm not itching like mad anymore and even happier I can continue to use my lovely nouvatan spray tan xx

Not wanting to put a downer on things, could they be very mild hives?

We are just about to release the following press article which you may find interesting:-

WARNING - RE BRONZER INGREDIENT - ISSUED 14:01 MON 4TH JUNE 2012

Ingredient:-

'Brown HT'

also known as:-
- Chocolate Brown HT
- Brown
- Caramel
- Food Brown 3
- C.I. 20285 (In Cosmetics)
- E155

Brown HT is a brown colour, petroleum-derived, coal tar and azo dye. This ingredient is used to provide the guide colour (Bronzer) in many UK spray tan brands.

It's use in any product has now been totally banned in the following countries:-

United States
Austria
Belgium
Denmark
France
Germany
Norway
Switzerland
Japan
Canada
Sweden.

In the UK Brown HT is not yet banned, However, a very small max daily consumption limit has been set. Just 1/100 of a gram per day for the average person. This limit is for oral consumption and not skin absorption or inhalation. Brown HT is normally used as a food colour and therefore skin contact and inhalation issues have not been legislated for.

All Brown HT manufacturers advise that skin/eye contact and inhalation should be avoided, as Brown HT is known as a skin irritant, potential carcinogen and to causes asthma attacks in people allergic to aspirin.

Brown HT is a histamine liberator and can induce hypersensitivity, and skin ailments including eczema, dermatitis, itching, rashes, and hives. It can also cause bad reactions in people who are allergic to aspirin and is known to induce asthma attacks. It is also linked to hyperactivity in children.

Clearly this is an issue for spray tan clients, but far more of an issue for the Spray Tan Professional as they are exposed to Brown HT overspray in the air every day. Our industry is all about promoting safe tanning ie. not hitting the sun-beds and hammering the beach and yet many UK spray tan solutions contain this dangerous ingredient.

We strongly advise that all spray tan professionals immediately request their supplier to provide a full ingredient list for their spray tan solutions. Manufacturers do not always list all ingredients on packaging. It is a legal requirement for any manufacturer to provide a full ingredient list if their product is sold in the UK. If they won't provide the full list, stop using the product immediately.

END Warning.......

OMG now I'm worried. But thank you for your post. I will definitely find out. Thank you

Not wanting to put a downer on things, could they be very mild hives?

We are just about to release the following press article which you may find interesting:-

WARNING - RE BRONZER INGREDIENT - ISSUED 14:01 MON 4TH JUNE 2012

Ingredient:-

'Brown HT'

also known as:-
- Chocolate Brown HT
- Brown
- Caramel
- Food Brown 3
- C.I. 20285 (In Cosmetics)
- E155

Brown HT is a brown colour, petroleum-derived, coal tar and azo dye. This ingredient is used to provide the guide colour (Bronzer) in many UK spray tan brands.

It's use in any product has now been totally banned in the following countries:-

United States
Austria
Belgium
Denmark
France
Germany
Norway
Switzerland
Japan
Canada
Sweden.

In the UK Brown HT is not yet banned, However, a very small max daily consumption limit has been set. Just 1/100 of a gram per day for the average person. This limit is for oral consumption and not skin absorption or inhalation. Brown HT is normally used as a food colour and therefore skin contact and inhalation issues have not been legislated for.

All Brown HT manufacturers advise that skin/eye contact and inhalation should be avoided, as Brown HT is known as a skin irritant, potential carcinogen and to causes asthma attacks in people allergic to aspirin.

Brown HT is a histamine liberator and can induce hypersensitivity, and skin ailments including eczema, dermatitis, itching, rashes, and hives. It can also cause bad reactions in people who are allergic to aspirin and is known to induce asthma attacks. It is also linked to hyperactivity in children.

Clearly this is an issue for spray tan clients, but far more of an issue for the Spray Tan Professional as they are exposed to Brown HT overspray in the air every day. Our industry is all about promoting safe tanning ie. not hitting the sun-beds and hammering the beach and yet many UK spray tan solutions contain this dangerous ingredient.

We strongly advise that all spray tan professionals immediately request their supplier to provide a full ingredient list for their spray tan solutions. Manufacturers do not always list all ingredients on packaging. It is a legal requirement for any manufacturer to provide a full ingredient list if their product is sold in the UK. If they won't provide the full list, stop using the product immediately.

END Warning.......
We have never used these ingredients in any of our products at any time.
I can’t think of any uk brand that does.
We always declare every ingredient in our products.. its on the bottle as it is a legal requirement. I have however seen tans for sale with no ingredients listed on the labels ?
All our products have been assessed for safety by an analytical chemist who screens all the ingredients.

We have never used these ingredients in any of our products at any time.
I can’t think of any uk brand that does.
We always declare every ingredient in our products.. its on the bottle as it is a legal requirement. I have however seen tans for sale with no ingredients listed on the labels ?
All our products have been assessed for safety by an analytical chemist who screens all the ingredients.

Thanks for confirming. Slight panic...over!

I just spoke to Steve at nouvatan and nouvatan does NOT contain those ingredients. I checked my bottles and yes there is a full list of what is in the bottle! I am happy to continue using nouvatan on myself and my clients. In fact I'm having my done tomorrow. :)))

Just an update. I had my NOUVATAN spray tan on Saturday and I'm absolutely fine. No rush, no itching, no spots, nothing :)))

Latest posts

Back