Allergic reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x.x.kelly

Nailjunkie
Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question but if your client has a reaction to a skin test would you do foils and really be careful? Or would you completely refuse to do any colour on them? Thanks :) xx

One of my clients is allergic to tint so I have to do bleach hilights, we tried adding 5.35 lowlights in foil once and even after me rinsing them thoroughly and individually, she still had a bad reaction the next day. She had insisted on trying it in foil but I was careful to cover my back by explaining that it could be potentially harmful to her and that ultimately it was her choice and I couldn't be held responsible for any adverse reaction. You just gotta be so careful and in my case i had been doing my lady for years so it's different I guess but if yours is a new client I'm not sure I'd risk it... X

A reaction is a reaction, do what your manufacturer recommends and don't colour. Xoxo

If a client has an allergic reaction then you should it do any colouring what so ever. Bleach is ok because it doesn't contain and ppd but u won't b able to tone.
If u did tint in foils then wen u rinse off the tiny will go on the scalp so isn't a wise idea.
Wella recently changed their skin testing policy and said you need to skin test with Colorfresh an perfecton too now. Check your colour house for their recommendation With regards to skin testing

If your client insisted she still wanted it but in fouls and u warned her u won't b held responsible.
Be very careful as if she decided to take u to court (worst case scenario), you would be held responsible as you are the professional. Don't forget allergic reactions can kill people too.

If a client has an allergic reaction then you should it do any colouring what so ever. Bleach is ok because it doesn't contain and ppd but u won't b able to tone.
If u did tint in foils then wen u rinse off the tiny will go on the scalp so isn't a wise idea.
Wella recently changed their skin testing policy and said you need to skin test with Colorfresh an perfecton too now. Check your colour house for their recommendation With regards to skin testing

Do u have to do skin test every time u colour a client? With wella? Or is it every 6 months?

Do u have to do skin test every time u colour a client? With wella? Or is it every 6 months?

With any colour house it's 24-48 hours before every colour as you can develop an allergy at any time between colours.
Personally this isn't realistic for us to do really.
If we have a client who has not been for 6 months or so we would skin test again.

One of my clients is allergic to tint...She had insisted on trying it in foil but I was careful to cover my back by explaining that it could be potentially harmful to her and that ultimately it was her choice and I couldn't be held responsible for any adverse reaction. .. X

Sadly, this is a common misunderstanding amongst some hairdressers about UK law and believing they are protecting themselves against claims for damages.

A stylist might assume that;

a) they have covered themselves by advising the client against the procedure and

b) they cannot be held responsible for any adverse reaction because it was the client's decision to go ahead but,

in both cases the stylist is completely wrong.

If the client suffers harm from the procedure and decides to sue, you will lose. It's as simple as that.

The client can even sue you years later if she has sufficient evidence that you went ahead with the procedure knowing she was allergic to tint.

Is it really worth the risk of losing everything you've worked hard for, just to service one desperate client?

Also, it's probably worth pointing out that in the event of a claim, your insurance company probably won't help you either as you didn't follow manufacturers instructions or your professional training.

Please take skin testing seriously folks!

Sadly, this is a common misunderstanding amongst some hairdressers about UK law and believing they are protecting themselves against claims for damages.

A stylist might assume that;

a) they have covered themselves by advising the client against the procedure and

b) they cannot be held responsible for any adverse reaction because it was the client's decision to go ahead but,

in both cases the stylist is completely wrong.

If the client suffers harm from the procedure and decides to sue, you will lose. It's as simple as that.

The client can even sue you years later if she has sufficient evidence that you went ahead with the procedure knowing she was allergic to tint.

Is it really worth the risk of losing everything you've worked hard for, just to service one desperate client?

Also, it's probably worth pointing out that in the event of a claim, your insurance company probably won't help you either as you didn't follow manufacturers instructions or your professional training.

Please take skin testing seriously folks!

And that a disclaimer is a complete waste. Its not a legal document that covers you unless its from the manufacturer xoxo

With any colour house it's 24-48 hours before every colour as you can develop an allergy at any time between colours.
Personally this isn't realistic for us to do really.
If we have a client who has not been for 6 months or so we would skin test again.

I heard that wella its 6 months i mean if u do a client now do skin test and if they keep coming every month for regrown then u only need do again after 6 months something like that ;) no client will want to come every time lol

I heard that wella its 6 months i mean if u do a client now do skin test and if they keep coming every month for regrown then u only need do again after 6 months something like that ;) no client will want to come every time lol

It's every time. Not every 6 months.
I know why you mean, people would get sick of coming in all the time and with busy lifestyles it's almost impossible.
Wella also say if anyone has had a tattoo or some henna art they need a skin test before you colour again

It's every time. Not every 6 months.
I know why you mean, people would get sick of coming in all the time and with busy lifestyles it's almost impossible.
Wella also say if anyone has had a tattoo or some henna art they need a skin test before you colour again

Só if a client some to salon every month and. U don't do skin test and something happen insurance won't cover u then how boring

Só if a client some to salon every month and. U don't do skin test and something happen insurance won't cover u then how boring

I'd assume so as u havnt followed manufacturers instructions.

Latest posts

Back