Allergic reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConorG

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
My first time posting here and I am in desperate need of some advice for allergy itch relief and allergy causers.
Tuesday morning I did an infill on myself using acrylic products I’ve used plenty of times before and gel polishes from 2 brands I’ve used plenty before but colours I’ve never used on myself. Wednesday morning my cuticles on 2 fingers started getting a bit sore and itchy so I assumed I had nicked myself with my efile and had paronychia so I did a salt bath. By Wednesday night all my fingers and one thumb were insanely itchy and noticed I had small bumps starting to form around my cuticles and I hardly slept due to the itching.
Yesterday I came to the conclusion it was an allergic reaction as I had many more small bumps and was getting some pressure pains from swelling but I wasn’t 100% certain it was the nails as I am allergic to quite a few things and had never had problems with my nails before. I had my mother bring me some antihistamines and an antiseptic cream which neither helped. I then soaked my fingers on and off all day in oat water which helped to ease the itch a little but it would always come back within a few minutes of removing my hands. I had my partner bring home corn flour, calamine lotion and dermaid. The corn flour in water and calamine lotion worked as well as the oat water at easing the itch and the dermaid has really done nothing.
I caved this morning and removed my nails. As soon as I had filed off the gel polish the itching stopped but I continued and removed the acrylics too just to be safe. Once removed I realised I had massive pompholyx dermatitis blisters under the corners of all my nails which has been causing pressure pains and tonight the itching has returned in my thumbs. Obviously this is an allergy issue and I will be going to a doctor tomorrow to get some steroid medication to help the blisters and itching and will do an allergy test with my usual gp to be sure of the actual culprit but I am really hoping someone may have some suggestions for how to help ease the itching in the meantime because I am going insane.
Also any suggestions as to what may be the cause of the reaction. The products I used were Hawley monomer and polymer and colour me pretty and pink swan professional gel polishes. I have used the Hawley acrylic system and pink swan professional polishes many times on myself with no issues and have used the colour me pretty polish once before on my natural nails but a different colour.

I would stop doing nails altogether because it sounds like its very easy for you to have skin problems. In a salon setting, you will be near products that are more allergy causing than in the general public.

Hi everyone!
My first time posting here and I am in desperate need of some advice for allergy itch relief and allergy causers.
Tuesday morning I did an infill on myself using acrylic products I’ve used plenty of times before and gel polishes from 2 brands I’ve used plenty before but colours I’ve never used on myself. Wednesday morning my cuticles on 2 fingers started getting a bit sore and itchy so I assumed I had nicked myself with my efile and had paronychia so I did a salt bath. By Wednesday night all my fingers and one thumb were insanely itchy and noticed I had small bumps starting to form around my cuticles and I hardly slept due to the itching.
Yesterday I came to the conclusion it was an allergic reaction as I had many more small bumps and was getting some pressure pains from swelling but I wasn’t 100% certain it was the nails as I am allergic to quite a few things and had never had problems with my nails before. I had my mother bring me some antihistamines and an antiseptic cream which neither helped. I then soaked my fingers on and off all day in oat water which helped to ease the itch a little but it would always come back within a few minutes of removing my hands. I had my partner bring home corn flour, calamine lotion and dermaid. The corn flour in water and calamine lotion worked as well as the oat water at easing the itch and the dermaid has really done nothing.
I caved this morning and removed my nails. As soon as I had filed off the gel polish the itching stopped but I continued and removed the acrylics too just to be safe. Once removed I realised I had massive pompholyx dermatitis blisters under the corners of all my nails which has been causing pressure pains and tonight the itching has returned in my thumbs. Obviously this is an allergy issue and I will be going to a doctor tomorrow to get some steroid medication to help the blisters and itching and will do an allergy test with my usual gp to be sure of the actual culprit but I am really hoping someone may have some suggestions for how to help ease the itching in the meantime because I am going insane.
Also any suggestions as to what may be the cause of the reaction. The products I used were Hawley monomer and polymer and colour me pretty and pink swan professional gel polishes. I have used the Hawley acrylic system and pink swan professional polishes many times on myself with no issues and have used the colour me pretty polish once before on my natural nails but a different colour.
Hi ya
You probably have an acrylate allergy
I have been a nail tech for years and have recently developed a severe allergy to gel and acrylic xx
In fact I had patch testing done on Monday and had a big reaction to acrylates
It’s awful
Try using pva gloves hun
Other than that it’s either stop doing nails or deal with the pain xx
I got given dermavate and betnovate cream
They settled down after a couple of days
Also use some hydrocortisone cream xxx

72C363B4-3920-4F60-94E1-EA534A509E7C.jpegEB5CC356-7797-4FA0-BF44-C4EB519D8AEE.jpeg

Allergies are hard to deal with since it could be one or more chemicals. A doctor could do a workup on you, but it will take time to find the culprit(s). Allergic reactions are a lifetime problem. It took 4 years for my hands to heal completely.
I can use CND Shellac, but no other gel polishes.

Hi ya
You probably have an acrylate allergy
I have been a nail tech for years and have recently developed a severe allergy to gel and acrylic xx
In fact I had patch testing done on Monday and had a big reaction to acrylates
It’s awful
Try using pva gloves hun
Other than that it’s either stop doing nails or deal with the pain xx
I got given dermavate and betnovate cream
They settled down after a couple of days
Also use some hydrocortisone cream xxx

Some great suggestions but sadly @ConorG hasn't been back since February 2021, I wonder how they got on :(

Latest posts

Back