allergic reaction!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAQUEL

Reaction score
Im in agony!!!! Has anyone ever experienced the following- Ive broke out in a nasty rash on my hands and all up the insides of my forearms (where i would rest on the table) my fingers are swelling up rapidly so i may be off to casualty later... What the hell have i used round about me and why has it started now??? could it be dust ? ( even thou i get rid 3 or 4 times during a client) Or some thing thats lurking on the table un awares?????
The only thing i have changed in the last fortnight is i have started gel and have used that particular brands hand sanitiser and nail disinfectent as oppsosed to my creative ones i use in l and p... Could a hand sanitiser cause me this much damage?????? We are changing tables and will be having extaction units fitted...
Any advise would be useful....

i have possibly posted this in the wrong forum... SORRY.... but i haven't started a thread before and did not know how!!!!

An allergic reation generally comes on over time rather than after one use. There may be something in the hand sanitiser or some of the other products that you have been exposed to over time and this was just the final straw - I suggest you go back to what you know is fine with you and if you wanted to try gel did you think about the Brisa gel if you are a Creative user anyway.

RAQUEL said:
Im in agony!!!! Has anyone ever experienced the following- Ive broke out in a nasty rash on my hands and all up the insides of my forearms (where i would rest on the table) my fingers are swelling up rapidly so i may be off to casualty later... What the hell have i used round about me and why has it started now??? could it be dust ? ( even thou i get rid 3 or 4 times during a client) Or some thing thats lurking on the table un awares?????
The only thing i have changed in the last fortnight is i have started gel and have used that particular brands hand sanitiser and nail disinfectent as oppsosed to my creative ones i use in l and p... Could a hand sanitiser cause me this much damage?????? We are changing tables and will be having extaction units fitted...
Any advise would be useful....
hi ya pm me will have chat have had same problem

An allegic reaction comes form 'prolonged and repeated exposure' to a product!! What concerns me is that you said it was itching up your arms too - if you are a 'wiper' - you are wiping your brush on your paper towel and then you are leaning back onto prouct etc on your towel - does that make sense?? If you have been doing this for a long time, this is the perfect example of prolonged and repeated exposure... if you think it is your new system...are you doing anything different!! I don't know if I have helped but check what you do during a treatment and you may find your answer!! :cool:

thanks mrs geek- yes i am a wiper but i try to keep it onto one pad and to a minimum- hopefully when the exraction unit arrives it will help- it did concern me that the other techs are not using them so i have bought my own ( im self employed)... also it does not happen when i wear long sleeves so i will basically have to rethink my whole routine...

RAQUEL said:
thanks mrs geek- yes i am a wiper but i try to keep it onto one pad and to a minimum- hopefully when the exraction unit arrives it will help- it did concern me that the other techs are not using them so i have bought my own ( im self employed)... also it does not happen when i wear long sleeves so i will basically have to rethink my whole routine...
Hi Raquel - I have seen this happen so many times and it never occurs to you gals that you a lying in monomer so-to-speak because you are so used to your routine but it does makes sense when you think about it!! Firstly I would suggest STOP WIPING immediately - you don't need to do it and it is just habit!! The liquid in your brush is there to help keep your bead pliable - if you wipe the liquid away you have less manouverable time!! Hope this helps !! :cool:

Remember that the reaction will be localised.
In other words, you will break out where a sensitizer comes in contact with that skin.
The reaction will be realatively soon after the contact as well.

Also, dont just look at potential nail products... look also at any new lotions, perfumes, or detergents you may have been exposed to as these are common sensitizers.

I did an article in the current Scratch on this subject (will post it in the article section soon).

good luck.

Thank you! can i just say when you train, and your educator bangs on about over exposure and the importance of an extraction system- DO NOT be a victim of wishful thinking i.e. it'll never happen to me!!! I think many of us concentrate on acheiving beautiful nails and the basics are pushed to the botton of the pile!!! Well , as I sit here in pain and the reaction spreads to my face and neck- I wish that I had given it more thought, altough my extraction system is on order I feel i am perhaps "shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted"
I have already checked washing powder changes etc and as the reaction disappears when im away from the salon then reappears after a days work I have to accept it is my own doing... BE WARNED... Im starting to look like freddie kruger!!!

Raquel
I hope you feel better soon, I to am a wiper and Mrs geek is so right it is a habit, a habit i must stop as i to get the odd little itch on my arm.
Take care and stop that wiping LOL
Caren :D

Raquel, I am not saying that it isnt caused from your system... but I would take other factors into account as well.
Reactions from systems begin as slight irritation and increase in intensity every time the sensitizer comes into contact with the local affected area.
I would be really shocked if 1 day you had no problem them BAMO the next you have full blown reactions all the way up your hands AND forearms. Usually this indicates something new has been applied to that entire area that you are already allergic too.
Remember that the reaction is localized. You have to look at something that has had even exposure throughout the affected area.

thanks Geek for the advice, i understand what you are saying and at the mo i am trying to eliminate everything ( hope its not the cat!!!!) At first I thought it was what the salon was cleaning the table with- they have it cleaned for me between clients before i had a chance to breathe...and today... despite allergic reaction ( stupid i know) did 3 full sets of l and p at home on my mates, i followed mrs geek's advice about the wiping ( which i knew, but was a little slack about) wore a mask and long sleeves and ... nothing... no further irritation or reaction, so i am still left wondering why it happens at the salon everytime im there- so i can only presume its something different than my home products...

May i suggest that you get hold of (and take) some homeopathic Apis mel, 30c if possible (that refers to the strength). I have had allergic rash problems in the past, and it worked a treat. Taking high doses of vitamin C (ie. 1000-3000mg timed release per day) with bioflavinoids and Quercetin should also be helpful.
If this rash restricts your breathing in any way - SEEK MEDICAL HELP immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back