Allergic Reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEBI-DEE

Reaction score
Hi, Was wondering if anyone can help me. I have been qualified in nails for 4 years and use NSI products but hairdressing was my main job. A couple of weks ago i made the break from hairdressing and went to work in a nail bar which has been great (nails constantly for 8 hours a day). on saturday my nose and my forehead looked a tiny bit rough but after working yesterday my face had totally swollen and was bright red.I went to a&e and got anti biotics and a steroid cream.When i got up today i looked horrific. Doctor says ive had a severe reaction and got a secondry infection which is contagious. i am devastated.
Can anyone give me any theories to why this has happened?

nightmare...have you got hypersensitive skin? Do you react to other products? Did you touch your face while working, I have super sensitive skin and if i touch my face before I have washed my hands and there happens to be even a tiny bit of nail dust on my hands then I have a reaction. Is your work space well ventlated? A dust extractor helped me..:hug:

I made apoint of not touching my face yesterday but it started burning almost immediately after i started working. There are no extractors and no, i am not usually hypersensitive.
I am assuming being hypersensitive does not stop you working. I am panicking that this is the end of my nail career.

I had something similar (but not to your extent) when I started doing nails a couple of years ago with creative products.

I was getting very itchy sore hands (particularly where i had rings on) and arms. I was only doing a couple of sets a week so it wasn't too much of a problem. Although one evening I took my rings off after doing a set and found that I had a lot of acrylic dust on them. I could only imagine that this was the cause of the problem because it's just the same as pouring liquid and powder over you but it just in a different form - the dust. I expect if you get it in your hair it's even worse - no doubt everyone does!

As long as I'm constantly washing my hand in between clients and making sure that my work surface is clean and floor hoovered, I haven't had a problem since.

I always like to keep baby wipes handy too, for me and for the client. Always a nice extra touch and it helps to keep yours and their hands clean after all the filing!

Hope this helps.

L-J

x

I suppose it depends on how sensitive you are, like I said I am very hypersensitive to make up, creams and nail products, but I still manage to work! I make sure I wash down my desk in between clients, sweep the floor, and I have an exraction unit under my desk. Its been a whils since I had a bad reaction, thugh I do sometimes get itchy hands if I have done a long day. I also take anti histamanes regulary, but that is something you should discuss with your GP.:hug:

Where you work should have proper ventilation we had health and safety guy from the council come out to our salon a few months back. Luckily we had proper extraction fans but a lot of salons in the area didn't and had to fork out for it so this may be worth mentioning to the salon owner L x

Hi, Was wondering if anyone can help me. I have been qualified in nails for 4 years and use NSI products but hairdressing was my main job. A couple of weks ago i made the break from hairdressing and went to work in a nail bar which has been great (nails constantly for 8 hours a day). on saturday my nose and my forehead looked a tiny bit rough but after working yesterday my face had totally swollen and was bright red.I went to a&e and got anti biotics and a steroid cream.When i got up today i looked horrific. Doctor says ive had a severe reaction and got a secondry infection which is contagious. i am devastated.
Can anyone give me any theories to why this has happened?

Hi Debbi , what does a secondary infection mean ?
is it a break in the skin which has become infected ?
This really sucks for you , :hug:
I get a blocked itchy nose and sore itchy bloodshot eyes with the dust, I can understand why some techs wear masks,
there must be loads of dust produced all day in a busy nail bar,
I must admit the extraction fans sound good,
maybe you could try a different product, do you think this may help ?
I hope it gos away for you,
good luck let us know how you get on :hug: x

I am assuming secondry infection is that because i have taken this severe reaction i have been more open to getting the infection. I have a low immune system as well so i dont think that helps (God, i sound like a hypocondriac now)

Latest posts

Back