Allergic reactions to nail systems?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

MoS

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2021
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
York
Has anyone had any issues with allergic reactions to Ikon.IQ, Light Elegance, Nailchemy, Lecente or Hayley Winder?

If so, how did the brand respond to your concerns?
 

Haircutz

Well-Known Member
Premium Geek
Joined
Aug 11, 2011
Messages
10,912
Reaction score
7,071
Location
West Cork, Ireland
All systems may cause allergies in some clients due to their base ingredients.

However, in most (all?) cases, it will be user error caused by either not curing adequately and/or getting uncured product onto the surrounding skin.

I don’t think the companies selling the products can be held responsible?
 

MoS

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2021
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
York
I thought there was at least one brand that isn't recommended on this site due to it's tendency to give allergic reactions?

I am just starting out and wanting to invest in a brand. I'm just worried about investing my money in a brand that others might have found an issue with.

I'm happy for anyone to PM me if they do not want to share privately. The above brands are just my shortlist, Ink London too, that I just want to be happy with before I decide on paying out money to trial them.
 

Haircutz

Well-Known Member
Premium Geek
Joined
Aug 11, 2011
Messages
10,912
Reaction score
7,071
Location
West Cork, Ireland
The most important consideration is to ensure that the system you are buying into, requires a specific lamp to cure it fully.

If they’re saying any 45watt lamp will cure it, it means the product is a generic rebranded mass produced gel that will feel hard to the touch after ‘curing’ but you’ll have no way of knowing whether it’s fully cured without proper scientific testing equipment.

It’s usually substances within the acrylate family of chemicals that causes the allergies, but clients may be allergic to any of the ingredients within a gel polish.
 

jlsdds

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2019
Messages
139
Reaction score
134
Location
Lubbock, Texas, USA
I developed sensitivity and then allergy 15 years ago when gels were hitting the market in the US big time. Everyone wanted a share of the pie and IMO rushed products to market.

Dedicated lamps didn’t exist or weren’t recommended. Any uv lamp would work apparently? So glad that research and industry standards have literally saved many techs from early, unwanted retirement.

Directions were vague or just wrong. For example, NSI supplied a sponge to be used to remove tacky layer (which contains raw, uncurled product). I emailed NSI back then and they explained that they sold in 60 countries and some areas couldn’t afford plastic-backed pads! At least they responded, 9 other manufacturers didn’t.

So, for four years I suffered with raw, cracked, blistered fingers. After a few more years I tried CND and found that it’s the only gel polish I can tolerate.

Re-read the threads dealing with allergy and sensitivity and don’t fall for the hype of new-to-market products.
 

BobSweden

Managing Director
Premium Geek
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
935
Reaction score
690
Location
Sweden / Germany / UK
Has anyone had any issues with allergic reactions to Ikon.IQ, Light Elegance, Nailchemy, Lecente or Hayley Winder?

If so, how did the brand respond to your concerns?
No company, even one that develops hypoallergenic products as we do, can faithfully guarantee that everyone with existing allergies won't react. Hypoallergenic products are designed for allergy prevention, not as cure.

The situation is complicated. Firstly, it depends which ingredients they are allergic to, and how many. The more ingredient allergies someone has, the more sensitive their immune system and the easier it is to develop new allergies.

Take the case of someone who develops allergies. Instead of visiting a dermatologist, having a patch test to find out which ingredients they react to, choosing replacement products that don't contain these and then stopping that caused the allergies in the first place, they instead simply change brands.

This strategy may work for a while. Change from standard monomer HEMA-free monomer for example. But unless they changed their behaviour to ensure there is no skin contact with product, they will eventually usually develop new ingredient allergies.

Perhaps at the start, they had 3 or 4 ingredient allergies. After changing brands once or twice, they can now have 10 or more ingredient allergies. Their immune system is now so sensitive, that they react even to hypoallergenic products.

Fortunately, we are able to help many Nail Techs who come to use with allergies, to continue their career. But there will always be cases of those who simply have too many allergies, whose immune system is too sensitive that we can't help.

This is why all NT should avoid allergies in the first place and if they do develop reactions, immediately change to true hypoallergenic products and change their behaviour with the advice from the brand.

And please understand that HEMA-free is absolutely not the same as hypoallergenic. Some HEMA alternatives are also high risk.

True hypoallergenic products won't contain any of the ingredients a dermatologist tests for, will use only ingredients for which there is no proven risk, and also have a product history over years where no customers have reacted.
 

Lyonsie

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2013
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Ireland
I have developed an allergy over time and as I am not a qualified nail technician I had to take the course for my favourite brand to be able to do my own nails while abroad and traveling. I am a retired lady in my 60s with soft nails who likes to have them looking good.
Can any of you assist in giving me the names of the brands that are ‘truly’ ‘hypoallergenic’ please.
I might be lucky enough to order a few pots to test and hopefully use.
Thanking you all,
Stay safe.
 

jlsdds

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2019
Messages
139
Reaction score
134
Location
Lubbock, Texas, USA
You may not have noticed, since you aren’t a professional, that this is a forum BY & FOR professionals.
It would be unusual for any professional on this forum to give ‘advice’ to a DIYer. There are so many reasons for that decision. None of which are snooty or uppity.
We spent lots of years and money being educated, mentored, etc. in our profession. Even if someone would suggest or recommend a product, we couldn’t ensure that you use it according to direction or have the proper equipment.
Better safe to let a professional take care of your nails. Investigate longer wearing traditional lacquer polishes.
 

Latest posts

Top