Allergic to Acrylic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traci3132

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been using Acrylic for the past 5 months as a qualified nail technician.

I have been careful to avoid overexposure to the liquid and powder... although this past 3 weeks or so I have noticed the skin arounf my finger tips and cuticle have become very sensitive and itchy, they have now come out in small blisters on the surrounding skin. :(

Its driving me insane with the itch and it gets really hot too.

It seems to occur or get worse when i use acrylic l&p.

I am now convinced i am allergic to the acrylic, and as you can imagine this is a nail techs worst nightmare...

What advice do you have for me??

Thanks in Advance.

:sad:

Hey everyone,

I have been using Acrylic for the past 5 months as a qualified nail technician.

I have been careful to avoid overexposure to the liquid and powder... although this past 3 weeks or so I have noticed the skin arounf my finger tips and cuticle have become very sensitive and itchy, they have now come out in small blisters on the surrounding skin. :(

Its driving me insane with the itch and it gets really hot too.

It seems to occur or get worse when i use acrylic l&p.

I am now convinced i am allergic to the acrylic, and as you can imagine this is a nail techs worst nightmare...

What advice do you have for me??

Thanks in Advance.

:sad:

That's aweful! Does it just happen when you do your own nails, or clients as well?

By any chance, do you use a pro strength cuticle remover? Definately need to make sure you don't touch this with your finger. I have a little sensitivity due to coming in too much contact with the gel remover.

Maybe visit an allergist?

That's aweful! Does it just happen when you do your own nails, or clients as well?

By any chance, do you use a pro strength cuticle remover? Definately need to make sure you don't touch this with your finger. I have a little sensitivity due to coming in too much contact with the gel remover.

Maybe visit an allergist?

It happens when I put Acrylic nails on myself or clients.... yeh think i need to visit someone. lol

I use CND cuticle away but i always ensure i wash it off properly and It doesn't seem to cause any problems.:D

Thanks for your reply

Take a lot of care when applying once the L&P has cured it is inert I made my self sensitive for a while under my thumb nail! As I was absent mindedly using my thumb to clear the side walls if I got it in there! (this was a while ago when I was first training before I knew any better),

The cuticle remover keeps going until it is de-activated and removed with water, so that could quite easily be what's making your sensitivity?
If your only sensitive right now then the good news is if you let it heal and avoid repeating what ever coursed it then you can avoid becoming allergic, this time :)

I find that I can break out with contact dermatitus (sorry about bad spelling) when I use CND l&p on either myself or clients, so I can no londer use it on myself and tend to use gloves when doing a client (or go a bit ocd washing hands). I now use The Edge on myself and find I'm ok with that, so maybe once you've had it checked out you should look at different brands and get some gloves. :D

Take a lot of care when applying once the L&P has cured it is inert I made my self sensitive for a while under my thumb nail! As I was absent mindedly using my thumb to clear the side walls if I got it in there! (this was a while ago when I was first training before I knew any better),

The cuticle remover keeps going until it is de-activated and removed with water, so that could quite easily be what's making your sensitivity?
If your only sensitive right now then the good news is if you let it heal and avoid repeating what ever coursed it then you can avoid becoming allergic, this time :)

No its def not the cuticle remover... it only happens when i use acrylic.
I thought once allergic ALWAYS allergic??? No? :o

Thanks for advice though... I have gloves now to avoid exposing myself to the l&p

xx

I thought once allergic ALWAYS allergic??? No? :o

xx
Yes that's true ,
But your body warns you with sensitivity's and reactions first .... If you don't change the habit and stop it reacting then the sensitivity's WILL become an allergy .Then theres NO going back.

Yes that's true ,
But your body warns you with sensitivity's and reactions first .... If you don't change the habit and stop it reacting then the sensitivity's WILL become an allergy .Then theres NO going back.

Ho long does it take before it turns to an allergy? Overall ive had this about a month.

Thanks

I cant answer that hun, im not medicly trained , but its like how long is a pice of string,how much exposuere and what your imune system is like would all be factors,

As they say " Everything is a poison! It just depends on the dose. "

I cant answer that hun, im not medicly trained , but its like how long is a pice of string,how much exposuere and what your imune system is like would all be factors,

As they say " Everything is a poison! It just depends on the dose. "

So it could be already too late to do anything about it.....:sad:

Itching is a sign of sensitivity ... blisters and tissue break out is the sign of full blown allergy .. so you are allergic to something. Could be a chemical in the monomer could be the nail adhesive .. whatever it is you need to wear gloves or change to a different monomer like Radical (if you are using Retention+).

Allergies to product in fact are rare which is a great shame for you. Doesn't mean you can't do nails but you will need to be careful.

Is this breakout of blisters only on your working hand? Is it on both? Is it just on a few fingers (maybe the ones that hold your brush and you are getting too near the hairs? Or are you using your fingers to shape the hairs of your brush after cleaning?

Whatever the reason you have been getting into contact with the product repeatedly for months for this to have happened. You are going to have to analyse carefully just exactly what you are doing ... My guess would be that you know already.

Doug Schoon says in his book a wet mix ratio can cause this and more interestingly he says that mixing product lines is another common reason, so monomer from one brand and polymer from another , he says that this can lead to ;"A high % of the uncured monomer remaining trapped inside the enhancement . This excess monomer may improve clarity and flexibility but don't be fooled. This trap catches many nail technicians . Eventually the excess monomer can soak through the nail plate and on to the nail bed . This prolonged exposure is one of the leading causes of itchy nail beds and can lead to other symptoms of overexpose ."
I'm not in any way saying your mixing your products but when I read this I thought it should be added hear for others to read who might come across this thread while searching, it is also a great answer to that often asked question "why cant I use X monomer with Y powder? It goes goes hard so it must be curing"

Itching is a sign of sensitivity ... blisters and tissue break out is the sign of full blown allergy .. so you are allergic to something. Could be a chemical in the monomer could be the nail adhesive .. whatever it is you need to wear gloves or change to a different monomer like Radical (if you are using Retention+).

Allergies to product in fact are rare which is a great shame for you. Doesn't mean you can't do nails but you will need to be careful.

Is this breakout of blisters only on your working hand? Is it on both? Is it just on a few fingers (maybe the ones that hold your brush and you are getting too near the hairs? Or are you using your fingers to shape the hairs of your brush after cleaning?

Whatever the reason you have been getting into contact with the product repeatedly for months for this to have happened. You are going to have to analyse carefully just exactly what you are doing ... My guess would be that you know already.

No its on Both Gigi, unfortunately....

When i clean my brush i fold over abit of kitchen paper and dip the brush into the monomer, then wipe the brush on the kitchen paper but i have noticed that some seeps through and onto my fingers.. this is most likely what has caused the allergy!!!

I feel so stupid!! I was aware of the Importance of not overexposing myself.. but just goes to show u can never be too careful.

I will use gloves when doin clients nails and will quit putting acrylic nails on myself as this is how i think the other hand has got blisters.

Missy- I never have and never will mix different products, but thanks for pointing that out to others.

Thank u for ur advise!!!

xox

I recommend Nitrile gloves and not latex!

Are you sensitive or allergic to anything else that you know of? :hug:

This has also recently happened to me after 6 months of working as a Nail Tech. I can't use acrylic on myself now and have to wear gloves when applying it to clients. I did visit a doctor who prescribed Hydrocortisone cream to help deal with the allergy and the irritation. I think that once you're allergic then it's more than likely always going to stay with you unfortunately.

I recommend Nitrile gloves and not latex!

Are you sensitive or allergic to anything else that you know of?

Thank you Gigi for your support! :hug:

I am allergic to Penicillin, codine and citrus!! nothing else in the nail industry i dont think although acetone would irritate me from time to time.

I will try those Nitrile gloves!! Ive actually just noticed a rash on my arm also which leads up to my wrist... must be from leaning it on the table were i work. :(

xo

Sounds like you are leaning on the area where you wipe your brush. This is the reason I always use a pad that is damp with ScrubFresh to wipe
my brush when I need to; it gives me a focused and dedicated area so I stay out of any monomer. You also need to hold your brush so your fingers are well away from the bristles.

If you are allergic or sensitive you must take great care. Xx

Latest posts

Back