Allergic to Sticky Layer of Gel - Advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oey

Reaction score
Ok - I have developed by process of ilimination what I think is an allergy to the sticky inhibition layer that you remove from the top layer of gel.

What I do at the minute is remove the sticky layer of gel (I use Bio Sculpture) with Bio nail wipes sprayed with Sanitizer (as recommended by Bio). When I have finished with the client I then go and wash my hands.

What has been happening after doing gel nails for 2 or 3 days is that I get tiny water blisters on 2 or 3 of my fingers. What has happened over the last couple of weeks (before my holiday and 2 or 3 days after doing Bio nails again when I came back) is the blisters have come back again. On 2 occasions this last month I have also come out in a rash type patch on my opposite arm where I must fold my arms and touch the skin on my opposite arm. This rash doesnt come out though for a few days after I have last done any gels nails?!?!?!?!? For example I did my last set of gel nails on Friday but the rash appeared on my opposite arm yesterday?!?!?

I have made sure this last few weeks that I wash my hands immediately after finishing with the gel client to try and stop this contact allergy happening and am also careful when I remove this sticky layer that I dont get any of this on my own skin, but this reaction still tends to be happening.

Is it possible that an allergy rash to this type of product can happen after a few days after the last contact to it and not at the time of it being touched or is the rash likely to be something else?!?!? I feel the next stage should be going to the doctor for allergy tests, but am pretty sure that he wil say if I know what that allergy is too then stop using it, which I want to avoid as this is a good part of my regular income.

Has any body used the barrier creams that are available to stop any contact reaction? I have been dubious about using these as I am concerned that if this barrier product is on my hands that it may affect the gel that I apply to the clients nails when I touch the client.

Wht tips do you all have to avoid this type of reaction happening?

Why don´t you try useing latex gloves, then your hands will not come in contact whit the product, and you don´t need to wash your hands so many time a day.

The inhibition layer is just uncured gel, so wouldnt that mean you are having a reaction to the gel itself and not the inhibition layer as such.

It sounds like you are definitely over exposing yourself to the gel at some point during your application, maybe when wiping the inhibition layer from the nails.

have you eliminated the possibily of the cuticle remover as the little blisters was happing to me i i know it was the remover:eek: as for the rash sounds like it could be the gel :)

As Jac has said, it sounds like over exposure to the gel.

I would wear gloves rather than barrier cream and if you continue getting problems I would stop using the gel. I can imagine how reluctant you are to stop using a product you love but if you continue to get problems even with additional precautions and continue using the product the reaction will just get worse.

Good luck hun and keep us posted.

Thanks jac and Denmark for your answers.

I initially thought that I must be allergic to the gel as well, but am sure I read on a thread somewhere when I was searching old threads for any answers that you can have a allergy to the sticky layer itself?!?!? I havent worn gel nails for the last 2 months as my own nails are very strong at the minute so havent needed the extra strength. I did wear then for 12 months or so with no problems, but then I believe over exposure comes when the product gets onto your skin - is that correct?

I have tried wearing gloves in the past but doing feel in as much control of the treatment when I am wearing them so want to find another way round this if possible.

Any other ideas?

Happened to me hun, in the early days. The inhibition layer, as Jac says in uncured gel, so carries a higher sensitivity risk anyways. However my rash was on my fingers.

Couple of things I changed....don't overuse a wipe....once you wiped the fingers, ditch it...I found it was the wipe getting overly clogged with uncured gel that was transferring it to my fingers and thast why I was 'spreading' it about.

The sanitiser doesn't actually help either, once your have a touch of sensitivity, I found this irritated not cleaned it, and so its worth getting yourself a menda pump instead of the spray, its more efficient and you only get sanitiser in the niddle of the wipe. Don't soak it...just a couple of pumps....quick wipe and ditch it! I use the cheapy lint free Caress wipes, not wonderwipe so they aren't too expensive.

I also used either finger wrap or nitrile golves (latex just fall apart on me and cause sweat rasg anywya!) just for a short while, to allow my hands to 'calm down' and once they were back to normal, I made sure I minimised contact and no more problem.

Also,. make sure your brush handle isn't gettign sticky with uncured product....that can also be an irritant.

Good luck, hun hope you sort it! xx

PS will pm you later xx

Thanks Lyndsay - I do get the rash on the fingers on my dominant hand, but it seams to transfer the reaction to my arm when I fold my arms (dont even know when i do it sometimes). What has confused me is that the rash doesnt happen straight away, only appears on my oposite arm after a few days?!?!? (by which time I will have had 3 or 4 baths or showers and washed my hands umpteen times)!

I think I will get hold of some of the finger wrap. Do you put that on your fingers before you start with the gel client or only when you wipe the sticky layer?

have you eliminated the possibily of the cuticle remover as the little blisters was happing to me i i know it was the remover:eek: as for the rash sounds like it could be the gel :)

Hadnt thought about the cuticle remover, so I suppose it could be that, but I dont always use the cuticle remover product though these days as I find that some clients cuticles are happy with just the cutistone.

It is a nightmare trying to work out what it is!

Just had a thought - if I am allergic to the Bio gel, would the allergy tend to continue with other gels?

Just had a thought - if I am allergic to the Bio gel, would the allergy tend to continue with other gels?
probebly

I think that I am right in saying that Brisa, is different to other Gels in its formulation and is much lower on the sensitivity ladder, so that may be one option.

Are you using plastic backed pads to wipe the inhibition layer or just normal lint free pads?

I think that I am right in saying that Brisa, is different to other Gels in its formulation and is much lower on the sensitivity ladder, so that may be one option.

Are you using plastic backed pads to wipe the inhibition layer or just normal lint free pads?

I am using the Bio lint free nail wipes at the minute but they arent plastic backed. Thanks for the tip - I will try removing the sticky layer with the pastic back ones (I do have some in the salon somewhere) next time.

Thanks x x x

If i remember rightly (please correct me if not!) bio/calgel are quite high up on the sensitivity ladder as opposed to brisa which is very low on the scale.

What you have to remember is....the gel cleaner/sanitizer (this is going to come out not very technical at all but its what i read!) can open the pores of our skin....filing etc debris can then (potentially) ENTER the pores and cause irritation.

I'd try gloves too. I get tiny little 'circles' of broken skin appear now and again on my thumb and my index finger - hadnt even thought of it being cuticle remover ! but i spose it could be the sanitiser or the gel too.

I use gloves all the time now.

hth

amb x

Get some Hands Down Pads (as suggested), I use them to remove the inhibition layer and my fingers never touch the gel at all, the plastic backing stops any products from seeping through to your skin.

The three main chemicals that cause irritation (allergy) in gels are acrylates, gluteraldehyde and formaldehyde, if your gel contains those 3 irritants (or some of them) then I would put the gel ingredients as the #1 suspect for being the cause of your reaction.

The chances are that you are right in your assumptions. Uncured gel is usually the the highest allergen. It can be avoided though.

Be open minded about the gloves as suggested as this may be the only answer. If the alternative is to stop using the product you like the best.....? If you are right, a doctor will just tell you to stop using it!

One important factor that you may not have considered: you may be scrupulous about removing the stickey layer but... there will always be a little uncured gel left behind (and it only takes 1 'speck' to cause an allergis reaction once it has started) and this will fall to the desk on onto the hands with the dust and cause a reaction on the other arm and hand to the dominant one. Does this sound possible?

Some suggestions to try while avoiding gloves: use your pad and remover on 2 nails only then use a new one, wipe nail from cuticle to free edge; as soon as you have shaped finished nails, remove disposable towel to get rid of dust; wear long sleeves to prevent leaning your arm in dust; put tissue in the palm of the hand that holds the finger while filing cured gel to prevent dust from falling on to skin.

If none of this works, wear gloves and just get used to them, plus long sleeves. If still no luck, look into another possible allergen

Hope this helps

Thank you all for your advice.

I did 3 sets of gel nails today and wore that flexi finger wrap stuff around the 2 main fingers that get this reaction. This flexi stuff feels very weird and no matter now slack you put it on your fingers it feels tight!

Could only get hold of the bright blue stuff so look like I had been preparing food all day!

Going to get hold of some of the plastic backed pads aswell to see if they help. My fingers still feel quite sore from the last reaction, but will keep you all posted with how it progresses.

Thank you all. x x x

Latest posts

Back