Allergies

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeetNailz

Reaction score
Hi All

Don't know if I can explain this in a sensible way but here goes. When I first started doing gel enhancements at the beginning of the year everything was fine. Then as time went on I found that my bottom lip always seems to become itchy after enhancements and it drove me nuts. Whilst away on holiday it settled down and all was okay once again. Then when I started again after hols back came the problem. I had not done any enhancements for a couple of weeks and then a week ago was playing with my trusty nail trainer doing enhancements and lo and behold the day after back came the problem with my bottom lip. Question, I know allergies to using products can occur on the hands etc but is it possible my products could affect me in this way. I do not have any problem at all with my hands but it does seem rather co-incidental. When this happens it takes a couple of weeks to clear up and I must keep creams/lip salve on my lip at all times to help keep moisture on otherwise the itchiness drives me to distraction. I am thinking that the dust particles from the nail tips and from the gel when filed/buffed could be causing this problem but am looking for confirmation or otherwise. If it proves to be this would the wearing of a mouth mask be the answer. My nail table does have an extraction unit in it but obviously it does not catch all particles.

Help Please!!!

Hi ya Babe,
Try keeping your filing to a minimum. Try to get a perfect finish result........
I do not buff or file my gels after I have taken the dispersion layer off.....
Just a thought!

But when it comes to infill, just try wearing the dustmask...............
It will safe your lungs too............

But it might also be, lets see........... do you use a primer ???
Might be some gel on your hands???? It is oh so sticky at times!!!!
Do you touch your face whilst doing nails??? I know I do, without even thinking........ well I used to. till I found that I was getting some funny spots and itching around my chin and mouth lol..........
Now I don't touch my face and use a little cool blue on my hands in between the service.........
Seems to have worked for me..........

hope you solve the itchy isssue
love Ruth xxxx

I have made a post in the last couple of weeks regarding this. Do a search for allergies / dust and you should find it.

I have listed several ideas for reducing your exposure to dust which I have found helpful that you might try.

"fuzzy lips" as I call them seems to be not an uncommon reaction to allergens. I am worst affected by this when blowing up balloons!

Good luck - this is not unsurmountable. ;)

Thanks for the help Ruth - thinking about it I probably do touch my face without really knowing it. Will make a conscious effort not to do so and will also try to keep filing to a minimum and see what happens. I guess I must be a bit messy but must take care with the uncured gel from now on.

Ella, have tried a search for your post about allergies/dust but cannot find it, must be doing it all wrong.

Julie

Allergic reactions are localised.
That means that where you have symtoms is where the 'offending' ingrident is coming into contact with your skin.

I personally have never heard lips... but have heard about tons around the eyes. This is because techs get monomer or uncured gel on their fingers and then rub their eyes. The skin around the eyes is very thin and hence, may develop symptoms much quicker than other parts of your body. I assume your lips would most liekly be similar.

Make sure that when you remove the stickey layer from the Gel that it doesnt get on your skin as that can cause big ol problems... If all you are doing is gel... watch more for that than of the dust.

Hope that helps ;)

Thanks everyone, I did a set of enhancement yesterday morning and made a concerted effort to keep my sticky mitts away from my face and "wadda ya know" no itchy lip so far today. So looking good - just gotta remember in future!

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back