Allergies

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethyst_Angel

Reaction score
Feeling so upset today peeps.

Over the last few weeks my skin has been coming out in nasty blisters, on the tips of my fingers and sometimes around my nails. My tutor had a look at them and agrees that it's probably an allergy to the monomer. :cry:

She said that I'd probably not be able to wear l&p enhancements and that I should maybe try gel.

I'm nearly finished my l&p foundation course but I don't want to give up on this!!! Will I be able to continue providing l&p nail services if I use nitrile gloves? Is this the end of the world??!?! :cry:

Also, what are the benefits of gels? I've never really looked into gels before...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks peeps!

I know of a tech that wears nitrile gloves and gets on just fine, she is allergic to monomer, takes a bit of time to get used to wearing them.
Brisa gel is the gel I work with and it is fab stuff! Easy to use, not messy, minimal filing etc etc
xxx

I know of a tech that wears nitrile gloves and gets on just fine, she is allergic to monomer, takes a bit of time to get used to wearing them.
Brisa gel is the gel I work with and it is fab stuff! Easy to use, not messy, minimal filing etc etc
xxx

Thanks for the reply!

Last night I had my first shot at putting on nails with my nitrile gloves. Ended up sticking my gloves to my client! Doh!!!

I think I might have a go with Brisa next then. I love wearing enhancements as my nails just won't grow without snapping off! Do you know if it's possible to do glitter tips, etc with gels?

Yep, I use gel and do glitter tips and a variation on custom blending all the time. With the gloves, if you find your hands getting sweaty and uncomfortable you can get thin cotton gloves to wear underneath. I think Boots do them.

Yep, I use gel and do glitter tips and a variation on custom blending all the time. With the gloves, if you find your hands getting sweaty and uncomfortable you can get thin cotton gloves to wear underneath. I think Boots do them.

Oooh, good idea about the cotton gloves! Think I'll give that a shot. I could maybe even stick a good sloshing of solar silk on before I put the gloves on and give my poor paws a bit of a treat as I'm doing someone's nails! Fantastic!

I think I might give Brisa a go then! It's maybe not the end of the world!!! :green:

:hug:

My tutor had a look at them and agrees that it's probably an allergy to the monomer. :cry:

Also, what are the benefits of gels? I've never really looked into gels before.
You will be sensitive/allergic to an ingredient in a product, however, you must have overexposed yourself to the product for the allergy to show itself the way it has, ie on your fingers.
To be 100% sure which ingredient you've got an allergy to you'd need to have some tests done, ask your doctor if they can arrange it.

Brisa gel is hypoallergenic, it is acrylate, gluteraldehyde and formadehyde free, those ingredients are known irritants.
It's a lovely product to work with, offers beautiful enhancements and excellent longevity with no product breakdown.

hth's a bit

Do you know if it's possible to do glitter tips, etc with gels?
Just noticed that you'd mentioned glitter tips... it most definitely is possible to do glitter tips with gel :D

The attachment is a pic of Brisa and silver glitter.

Attachments

• silver tip.JPG
    silver tip.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 50
You will be sensitive/allergic to an ingredient in a product, however, you must have overexposed yourself to the product for the allergy to show itself the way it has, ie on your fingers.
To be 100% sure which ingredient you've got an allergy to you'd need to have some tests done, ask your doctor if they can arrange it.

Brisa gel is hypoallergenic, it is acrylate, gluteraldehyde and formadehyde free, those ingredients are known irritants.
It's a lovely product to work with, offers beautiful enhancements and excellent longevity with no product breakdown.

hth's a bit

That helps a lot!!! Thanks! :green:

I think there's a very good chance that I'm allergic to the monomer. When I used to get my nails done at the salon I would come out in blisters. Now that I'm doing nails myself my blisters are there all the time! :cry: Mind you, my allergies have been playing up something shocking recently, so I think I might just get it all checked out at the doctors. Hopefully he won't suggest amputation!!!! :eek:

Thanks for your reply! :hug:

Just noticed that you'd mentioned glitter tips... it most definitely is possible to do glitter tips with gel :D

The attachment is a pic of Brisa and silver glitter.

That looks absolutely AMAZING!!!!! WOW!!!! I think I will definitely try my hand at Brisa! :green:

:hug:

If the skin breakout, blisters etc are always at the tip of your finger...is it possible it is the adhesive you are allergic to?
Have you ever had sculptured nails? If you have and had no itchiness/problem with them ...then it could be the adhesive.

If the skin breakout, blisters etc are always at the tip of your finger...is it possible it is the adhesive you are allergic to?
Have you ever had sculptured nails? If you have and had no itchiness/problem with them ...then it could be the adhesive.

Oooh, I'm not sure. I'd not actually thought about that!

I've never had sculptured nails before. Might have to give that a shot too!

Maybe I'll have to try to take some piccies of my blistering tonight and post some pics. Well, if peeps have strong enough stomachs for all that! :eek:

Thanks for the reply! :hug:

Latest posts

Back