Allergy reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natashamae612

Reaction score
Hi all. So I believe I’ve had an allergic reaction to the builder I’m using. Very sad as I just swapped and I love it. It’s purely my thumbs, the top of them go hard/dry and then the sides crack. I have no nails and obviously can’t work atm but they’re not healing very quick. I don’t want to go to the doctors as I feel I’m always there and it’s not important enough given the current circumstances. Is there any other way I can test what it is at home? Or has anyone been to a dermatologist instead of their GP about these things? I’ll attach a picture just to show what it looks like. If anyone can advise on if it looks like a reaction and not something else that would be great Thankyou.
The picture is from now, it was worse but I can’t find a photo. But you can see where it’s split and how crusty it is.
67DE62DB-058C-4695-B1C7-7DB1C4DA15AD.jpeg

Last edited:
Which builder gel did you use? And are you a qualified professional?

Which builder gel did you use? And are you a qualified professional?

i started using glossify, I’ve emailed them about it and they’ve been great but it isn’t a known thing with their products. and yes I am

It looks so sore!! I would absolutely get an allergy test booked, looking online there are a couple of home-testing kits, I can see one called Klarify. Until then, cuticle oil as much as you can.
You might want to join the Nail Tech Awareness group on Facebook and put your picture on there. They are much more active on there and you'll have an answer within minutes (no offence geeks) I don't have a great deal of experience with allergic reactions. The left free-edge corner looks almost bruised or maybe cut? Could there have been some trauma there?

It looks so sore!! I would absolutely get an allergy test booked, looking online there are a couple of home-testing kits, I can see one called Klarify. Until then, cuticle oil as much as you can.
You might want to join the Nail Tech Awareness group on Facebook and put your picture on there. They are much more active on there and you'll have an answer within minutes (no offence geeks) I don't have a great deal of experience with allergic reactions. The left free-edge corner looks almost bruised or maybe cut? Could there have been some trauma there?

I was actually in that group at one point! Maybe I’ll rejoin and ask there. Me neither I don’t have a clue, just my luck to have problems 😩its Actually dried blood from the cut above haha sorry bit gross. Thankyou for your help! X

See a dermatologist and consider using something really neutral on it to moisturise.

Allergy is popping up everywhere I do wonder why.

Hope it repairs soon for you x

See a dermatologist and consider using something really neutral on it to moisturise.

Allergy is popping up everywhere I do wonder why.

Hope it repairs soon for you x
I hope so too, Thankyou! It does seem to be more and more common. I can only think it’s HEMMA x

I hope so too, Thankyou! It does seem to be more and more common. I can only think it’s HEMMA x

You’re welcome and yeah hopefully it will clear up soon.

With the allergies it just seems across the board though, hema, overexposure, dusts, there’s definitely an overall rise virtually unheard of before and nails is not really a new thing x

Last edited:
Certain ingredients are much more likely to cause allergic reactions. So, allergies in general is not a big concern.

However, when it comes to doing nails, allergies are a major concern - BUT THEY ARE NOT GIVEN THE PROPER LEVEL OF IMPORTANCE. Which is why I've been preaching about allergies and which companies are the best at minimizing it.

Another problem is, ingredients in the daily products you use around the house can also cause allergic reactions. One major offending ingredient is METHYLISATHIOLIZONE.

You can avoid nails products for a month and see if it goes away.

But they best thing you can do is get a patch test by dermatologist but that can be expensive. However, its worth it to know exactly what you are allergic to.

But they best thing you can do is get a patch test by dermatologist but that can be expensive. However, its worth it to know exactly what you are allergic to.

Yes, definitely worth a referral to a dermatologist. Also, the OP is based in the UK and all medical treatments are free in the UK because they have a National Healthcare Service.

Latest posts

Back