Allergy to acrylates, any way round it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmtbrady

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

I am really really in need of some help!

so I am going into a nail technologies course, and its the only career path for me its something that even though im not long started i think im going to be quite good at. but i have just had patch tests done, and it turns out i am allergic to a lot of the acrylate stuff, I will have to talk to the college about this obviously but i was wondeering has anyone else had the same problem and been able to work around it? either by wearing gloves when working on people or even using hypoallergenic gels that have no acrylates such as CND's Brisa?

please please help me i am so upset at the thought of having to give up :(

I am severely allergic to gels. Allergic as in having needed to phone an ambulance before.

I am absolutely fine with cnd gel and cnd shellac. On my nvq3 I explained to my tutor that this was the only gel I could go near and it was cool.

I'm allergic to acrylates. I had to sell all my kit and stop doing nails.

Try other product lines but don't take risks with your health, if you feel the symptoms coming on.

There are always other careers, if necessary.

Brisa & shellac are acrylate free.

Lots of people work round their nail product allergies. It's doable but obviously not ideal so brisa/shellac is a better option for you :)

thanks everyone that makes me feel better :D i know there are other career paths to choose but i cant think of anything else id be good at so hopefully this will help :D

Brisa & shellac are acrylate free.

Lots of people work round their nail product allergies. It's doable but obviously not ideal so brisa/shellac is a better option for you :)

I'm sure it contains Methacrylates.

Hi I used to do a lot of nails & now cannot do them at all due to my allergies. I found wearing gloves made it worse so I wouldn't advise that. I find if I stick to shellac I'm fine & brisa in small doses but I have to wash my hands so well after. I found I was allergic to the dust created from any kind of extension/sculpt aswell as certain trigger products.

After 11 years as a nail tech my right thumb and index finger started to react badly to acetone as in, they dry,peel,split,bleed,crust then heel - all this takes about a 3/4 week cycle and they are as painful as hell. Now ANY exposure to acetone sets them off big time, so I use waterproof plasters (in case the glove leaks/splits which has happened) and a latex glove over that.
I went to doctor and she said 'well just stop using acetone'
HAHAHA
after years of building my business up?!
These protective measures are working ATM, of course a bit of a pain to start with but you get used to it.
What reaction do you have?

What does the MSDS you have say?

image.jpg

Frankly, I think that's incredibly misleading of CND to label the product free of acrylates.
Methacrylate is an acrylate based substance and contains a form of acrylic.

I've read the piece you referenced and all it really says is that not all acrylics are bad because they are mixed with other substances. Okaaay.

My dermatologist wrote out a list of common substances for me to avoid when I had my diagnosis. It included Methacrylate and she explained about acrylates being used in many domestic products. I'm just more careful with cleaning products etc. nowadays.

If someone has an allergy to acrylates, they may or may not be allergic to Methacrylate but if someone has a reaction, it can be very serious indeed.

I would hate to be that Nail tech that has to phone the ambulance for their client because they wrongly assumed a product was 100% safe. :eek:

Oh my gosh I have had the worst reaction to using acrylics this week! I really need to just say no when people contact me!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've been using dermasheild and find it really helps [emoji5]️ I'm allergic to shellac though.

I too am highly allergic to acrylates. I had been working with acrylics/gels for 9 years with no prob until one day I started getting blisters around my fingers.
After lots of medical tests I found I was allergic to most acrylates.
I now where nitrile gloves from the website "the glove store" they sell quite thick ones that don't split. They have saved me from having to give up doing what I love. They do take a bit of getting used to but I don't even think about it now. And my hands are blister free.

Good luck but I do recommend nitrile gloves x

Sorry about that.

I am extremely surprised Cnd would provide such misleading marketing on a safety issue.

Crystal nails do cloth gloves with gum covered fingertips. A lot more comfy than latex/nitrile.

I'm just starting out with acrylics, those who have built up allergys to acrylates, could I have been prevented by wearing gloves in the first place? Becoming allergic is a concern for the future wouldn't ever want to have to give this up x

I'm just starting out with acrylics, those who have built up allergys to acrylates, could I have been prevented by wearing gloves in the first place? Becoming allergic is a concern for the future wouldn't ever want to have to give this up x

You'd have to never apply acrylics or gel on your own hands to be really safe. I think once you have developed the allergy, wearing gloves and a mask is an option to try to minimise your contact with the product.

After 11 years as a nail tech my right thumb and index finger started to react badly to acetone as in, they dry,peel,split,bleed,crust then heel - all this takes about a 3/4 week cycle and they are as painful as hell. Now ANY exposure to acetone sets them off big time, so I use waterproof plasters (in case the glove leaks/splits which has happened) and a latex glove over that.
I went to doctor and she said 'well just stop using acetone'
HAHAHA
after years of building my business up?!
These protective measures are working ATM, of course a bit of a pain to start with but you get used to it.
What reaction do you have?
I started doing nails two and a half years ago and only gels. Of course I did my own a lot too. About 4 mons ago I did my nails and woke in the middle of the night in so much pain in the tip of most of my fingers, but mostly my left thumb. I switched on the light an saw that my thumb was swollen and really bruised underneath the nail. A few weeks later I lost that entire nail. I gave my hands a break until two days ago. I did acrylics on myself and it was fine until last night when I decided to put a gel topcoat over my nails. Today, my finger tips are. Itchy with tiny blisters. Sadly there will be no more gels for me

Mine itch like crazy most mornings!! I've been known to sit with a hairbrush scratching them until my boyfriend comes and wrestles it off me because it freaks him out [emoji14]

Latest posts

Back