Allergy to acrylic products?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catmoreton

Reaction score
Hi, I have just started an Acrylic nail course a few weeks ago. As time is going on I'm not sure if I'm having a slight reaction to the powders. I found that after my first class my hands felt tingly I guess is the best way to describe it. Now this happens everytime I get my products out to practice. It only seems to be the powders, obviously I'm not rubbing them on ny hands or anything like that lol but even when I had a delivery of some new powders last week I opened the boxes and there was some slight powder on the outside of the tubs only a tiny amount, I put the items away and went back to what I was doing on my laptop and noticed my fingers felt like they were slightly burning and tingling and it wasn't till later I remembered I had opened my packages. I went into my box where I am storing all my powders and tidied up the box, didn't open any of the powders or anything and once again about 10 minutes later my hands started feeling weird. When I have had a whole day of training , parts of my fingers feel like when you've burnt yourself on the oven and its sore. There's never any redness or bumps or anything like that, just this tingling burning feeling. I've even left it a few days and not touched anything and my hands have been fine but when I go back to pick up any of the powder tubs my hands feel aggravated again. The monomor has been fine, had no issue with that at all. The other issue that I find when I've spent an hour or two practising, my hairline and side of my face is really itchy, I'm guessing this is from the filing maybe. Is this a normal feeling or could it be that I'm having a reaction to the powders???
Thanks for reading

It certainly could be an allergic reaction as itching on your fingertips is often the first sign. However, only a doctor can confirm this but if it is an allergy, you’ll find your reactions becoming more intense the more you expose yourself to the substance.

What brand products are you using?
Assuming it is a well established reputable brand, the product should be safe to use but may still cause allergies in some people. However, I wouldn’t train with a lesser or unknown brand name as some of the fake products made in China contain ingredients that do not meet EU safety requirements.

Hi, yes its a very popular brand, I'm fine with the monomer but its the powder which is making my hands itchy and sore. I have only just started my training so only been around the products for 2/3 weeks but I felt this tingling from when I first opened my kit. Theres no redness or anything, just itchy burning sensation, on my wrists palms fingers and finger tips

Last edited:
You mentioned you have just started the course. Is it an online one and have you gone through work safety measures? I'm asking since according to the safety guidelines you should be working in PPE when dealing with any chemicals. Protective gloves exists for a reason, and obviously prevent any direct contact with substances. I really hope you can wear gloves to avoid touching the chemicals, as they are definitely not something that cam make human skin feel better.

Hi, yes i have done all the health and safety and completed the Marian Newman Nail Knowledge course. So I am quite conscious about allergies and reactions
I think I must just be allergic to the powders, the gloves would help with the hand issues but my face and hair is also very itchy. I think it would be best that I move away from acrylics as from the start I have had an issue and I feel that it will only get worse in time. I might look into Hard gel, I have tried using this in the past and had no issues with the products.

the gloves would help with the hand issues but my face and hair is also very itchy.

Indeed the powder can become airborne and even get into eyes, unless you have some good ventilation in place. An allergic reaction is a red flag and can't be ignored.

Latest posts

Back