Allergy to colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluetiger

Reaction score
Hi all, as I am a Nail Tech (qualified years ago and have done nothing with it...except my own!) I haven't a clue about hair.

What I do know is that after years and years of using the same OTC permanent colour, I suddenly became allergic to it and as a result looked truly stunning with a head that had doubled in size!

The next time I used a professional dye from the wholesalers. We did a test and nothing happened...so we went ahead with it - and within 24 hours my head started to swell.... :cry:

Both times the colour was black. What I wondered was whether I would react to all colours or whether it's just to black? I don't really want to go through that again!! But, my hair is such a boring brown and I don't like bleaching it as it seems to grow out too fast and no matter how many times I tell myself that I will make an appointment every 6 weeks to be touched up...it doesn't happen, either money wont allow or I can't find the time!! :rolleyes:

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Hi there. You need to do a 24 patch test on the inside of your arm first. If within 24 hours , your arms shows any reaction to the color, you shouldn't use it.

It sounds as thou you have become allergic too all color and may need to go to a doctor to find out What in the color you are allergic to.

I have a few clients who are allergic to colour, some even the smell sets them off.

It is not uncommon to develop an allergy to colour and as JDs says ALWAYS patch test before each colour application, the recommendation in the UK is 48 hrs before :)

Black and darker colours have the highest percentage of para dyes and are the most common culprit of reactions. You may okay with a lighter colour but if not you may be okay with off the scalp applications, such as foiled techniques, so you dont get too bored. All my allergy clients have off the scalp and are fine, but please visit only a professional for your colour work and always patch test :)

Thanks for your replies but I did do a patch test the second time and there was no reaction at all!

The whole thing has put me off having my hair coloured as the more I looked into it, I found out that you get more sensitive each time you react so I have given up. I won't even use the temporary wash in wash out toners now as I'm so scared although I don't know if they would cause a reaction.

I seem to be ok with bleach but like I said earlier, I'd never manage the upkeep!

I'm just bored with it now, I have grown it longish (about bra strap length) and can't do these 'up-do's' that I see so many people with that look great so it's either ponytail or down - not very exciting! My hair is really soft so it doesn't tend to stay in clips or the clawtype ones.

I'm sorry to hear this but if I were you I would avoid all colour as the reaction is going to get worse and can even develop into a fatal one if you go into anafalactic shock (spelling??!!)

As for doing a patch test I think this is a waste of time on some people. I have had clients who, like BLUETIGER, have no reaction to a skin test on the arm or behind the ear 24 or 48 hours before a treatment. They come for a colour and then blow up like a balloon. It is as though the body can cope with a small amount of tint but when the whole head is covered the body is over loaded and reacts.

I'm sorry there is no cure honey. Wish we could help more. xXXx

I'm not a hair dresser, but I am allergic to hair colouring, I became allergic after having a what was advertised as a "henna" tattoo in Greece, unfortunately it had hair dye in it. I get blisters and swollen looking if it comes in contact with my skin.

I still have my hair coloured, but I have mesh or foil highlights instead, as it doesn't come in contact with my skin using this method. My sister owns a hairdressing salon luckily and is well aware of my allergy and so takes extra care with me and the colour ensuring it never touches me! Its an option for you if you still want to colour your hair, i've been having mine done for years with highlights and had no problems. Hope this helps!:)

May have to nip over to Stockport then! I don't particularly want to colour my hair as I said earlier I'm rubbish at the upkeep! I did think of getting some of those DIY extensions for the bored days in my life but like I said, I can't get anything to stay in!

It's irritating really as a lot of people say that my hair (and my eyes) are my best feature...my hair is really shiny and soft but I still wish that I could do something with it!!

May have to nip over to Stockport then! I don't particularly want to colour my hair as I said earlier I'm rubbish at the upkeep! I did think of getting some of those DIY extensions for the bored days in my life but like I said, I can't get anything to stay in!

It's irritating really as a lot of people say that my hair (and my eyes) are my best feature...my hair is really shiny and soft but I still wish that I could do something with it!!

Hi there you say you dont likeoff the scalp highlights ect using bleach , would you consider peek a boo slices under the partings or fringe ?
This way you wouldnt have roots,
and you could perhaps jazz them up with a crazy colour that your hairdresser can put in foils so it wont come in contact with your scalp ,
Please dont take any more chances with your health just because of a hair colour, like you said you can get some great extensions
good luck please let us know how you get on :hug:,

Latest posts

Back