Allergy to Gel??!?!?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethyst_Angel

Reaction score
Hello chaps!

I have a question about allergies and gel enhancements. I noticed a while ago that I was getting a severe reaction to monomer when I was doing l&p enhancements. I used to get my nails done but I had to stop due to this really horrible painful blistering and bumpy red skin.

I very recently got gel enhancements put on (Calgel) and worryingly I noticed a similar (but not so severe) skin reaction coming up after I got my gel enhancements done.

Please could someone tell me if it's unusual to get a reaction to gels? Is it possible I was kept under the lamp too much? Or is it possibly just a reaction to something that might have just been on the table already...

Any advice gratefully received!!!

Many thanks!

Allergies to enhancement products is actually a rare thing for wearers.

You will not be allergic to either the gel or the Liquid ... you will be allergic to an ingredient contained in one or the other or both.

You can have no way of knowing what the ingredient is without obtaining a manufacturers patch test (and this wont be easy).

Gels contain many of the same ingredients found in monomer liquids.

Allergic reactions only get worse each time you experience them if you come into contact with the ingredient. If you're sure it is something in the enhancement products then I would stay away from them or try wraps which is the option least likely to produce an allergic reaction. I would test just ONE not a whole full set.

Allergies to enhancement products is actually a rare thing for wearers.

You will not be allergic to either the gel or the Liquid ... you will be allergic to an ingredient contained in one or the other or both.

You can have no way of knowing what the ingredient is without obtaining a manufacturers patch test (and this wont be easy).

Gels contain many of the same ingredients found in monomer liquids.

Allergic reactions only get worse each time you experience them if you come into contact with the ingredient. If you're sure it is something in the enhancement products then I would stay away from them or try wraps which is the option least likely to produce an allergic reaction. I would test just ONE not a whole full set.

This is what I was afraid of. :cry: I didn't want allergies to spell the end of my career in nails before it has even begun. :cry::cry::cry:

This is what I was afraid of. :cry: I didn't want allergies to spell the end of my career in nails before it has even begun. :cry::cry::cry:

It could be a serious problem if you do not take steps to combat it. Wearing gloves and eye protection and working incredibly clean!

Latest posts

Back