Allergy to tint! What tint is safe to use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solohair

Reaction score
I have a regular client who has just developed a reaction to tint! She is devastated to say the least. Can anyone recommend or does anyone know of any products that can be used for someone with an allergy to hair dye. She normally has a 5/0 and has 50% white hair so it's going to have to be a good product to cover this. Help!

Have you tried Tigi copyright? It's PPD free ? X

Thanks Blue! No I haven't tried this product, have you? Does it give good coverage? This is the first time I have had to deal with this so know very little about what products are best to use and also what's available. x

You need to be extremely cautious if the client has already told you that she is allergic to hair colour. Your insurance company may refuse to cover you in the event of a claim so give them a call to check your position.

Basic skin test: Mix a small amount of the tint you want to use (but a darker shade) with the same level of peroxide you will be using and apply a dab behind her ear and wait for at least 48 hours before considering a full tint application.

Obviously, if she starts reacting to it, remove it immediately.

Even if she's having foils, you MUST do this.

Severe reactions to tint although rare, can be fatal! As you already know your client has some sensitivity, exercise due care.

She could try using semi-permanant hair colour as this is usually less chemically toxic, but a skin test will still be a sensible precaution.

Just re-read this and it probably sounds a bit OTT. However, as I suffer from allergies to some chemicals, I'm probably a bit more cautious the most. I realise that as a pro, you already know about skin testing but as this is the start of the academic year, there might be a larger proportion of newby geeks who could do with the reminder... ;-)

Hope you can find a suitable alternative for her. Aveda is supposed to be good and there are a few other pro ranges that might be ok.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Don't worry, she has been having tint for years from me and I test 48 hours before colour every time. That how we have found out she has become allergic to tint because the skin test has had a reaction. So therefore need to find an alternative for her. I am also in talks with the skin patch company regarding this and they have been extra helpful. Just goes to show I haven't been wasting my time testing every time! So glad I have stuck to the guidelines as this could have been nasty.

Hi.
You said in your post shes reacted to a skin patch?
Does this mean you dont test with the actual colour you use on your clients but a pre loaded patch kit?
The reason im asking is sometimes with the patches people could react to something in that but thats not in your colour product you use.

If shes allergic to ppd,then its highly likely she will also be allergic to ptd,which is whats generally used to replace ppd in colours when theyre advertised as ppd free.

Unless a colour is a semi-ie a dc dye,then it will be an oxidising colour,which means it WILL contain some kind of ppd/ptd.

Someone on here recently mentioned a company called colorly and that its meant to be ppd/ptd free but ive yet to find an ingredient list for it.
x

I did a lot of research into the 'herbal' colours and couldn't find a line that was available to anyone but authorised salons eg redken or aveda. I have two clients who buy their colour from the health food shop and i apply it ( not sure where I stand legally on this, sure someone will say its wrong) but I leave them to rinse off and follow instructions, both are friends and have had allergic reactions to pro colour.

The colour covers white patches fairly well - slightly translucent.

Thanks for all your replies. In answer to crazybek, yes I used the colourstart patch which are great and this was what she initially reacted to, but to
Double check I then did a skin test using the actual tint and this also gave a reaction. I want to help her but am very scared of what to use to cover her grey.

The hairdressers I go to use Keune colours on my hair, think they're ppd free x

I'm allergic to everything other than pure bleach. Even a wee bit of colour I react.
I spilt tint on my foot 3 weeks ago and now I have two big open wounds that will not heal and are constantly weeping! 14 steroids a day :(
Hopefully you will have more luck finding something suitable for your client xxx

Latest posts

Back