Alternative barrier creams

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Severnrose

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have completely run out of barrier cream; will order some with my next spray tan solution order but to get me through the next few days I wondered if there was a good alternative? Aqueous cream comes to mind, would that be right?

Thanks

I think around 98% of the tanners on here use Aqueous cream, including me! It's just as good as proper barrier cream and you can get a big tub from the pound shop. If you wanted something else you could use a normal moisturiser, I've been told Soap & Glory is good to use for tanning. :)

aqueous cream is fab Hun i just filtered the tub into a prev brand squeezy bottle so looked better! I got mine from Aldi as was offer on, i did though invest in several blusher brushes from £ land, and have been using to blend tan over hands and feet, ive had nk complaints of dodgy hands/feet since!! :)

Perfect thank you! I'm off to buy some aqueous cream tomorrow then. Had no idea that was what most people used, maybe I should swap and save myself a few £££'s!!

aqueous cream is fab Hun i just filtered the tub into a prev brand squeezy bottle so looked better! I got mine from Aldi as was offer on, i did though invest in several blusher brushes from £ land, and have been using to blend tan over hands and feet, ive had nk complaints of dodgy hands/feet since!! :)

I would never have thought to do that with a blusher brush! Luckily haven't had any complaints regarding feet and hands but will definitely remember this trick :) x

I would never have thought to do that with a blusher brush! Luckily haven't had any complaints regarding feet and hands but will definitely remember this trick :) x
Well i trained with Sienna who suggest the circle spray on the 'claw hand' however my friend who owns a tanning salon just sprays straight down the arm and away, so i started doing that as found the claw hand gave an uneven coveridge? The brush technique i found on youtube, customers love it aswell as its that extra attention to detail! I also buy the exfoilation gloves ( can get for under £1 perpair? And give one to new clients in a little bag with my card and pre/post tan care leaflet with little lolly, costs pence, but ive so much competition where i am in trying to do something different. Vista print do amazing loyalty cards too they helped me with, so i can reward my regulars with every 5th tan 1/2 price ( put little diamontes on the card!) its very hard when your mobile keeping constant work isn't it? I work so just do evenings but prob get 4 clients max a week,...saying that, no bookings yet this week? :rolleyes: x

Well i trained with Sienna who suggest the circle spray on the 'claw hand' however my friend who owns a tanning salon just sprays straight down the arm and away, so i started doing that as found the claw hand gave an uneven coveridge? The brush technique i found on youtube, customers love it aswell as its that extra attention to detail! I also buy the exfoilation gloves ( can get for under £1 perpair? And give one to new clients in a little bag with my card and pre/post tan care leaflet with little lolly, costs pence, but ive so much competition where i am in trying to do something different. Vista print do amazing loyalty cards too they helped me with, so i can reward my regulars with every 5th tan 1/2 price ( put little diamontes on the card!) its very hard when your mobile keeping constant work isn't it? I work so just do evenings but prob get 4 clients max a week,...saying that, no bookings yet this week? :rolleyes: x

Some good ideas there :) I also just work evenings but am fairly busy with it especially in the summer. I found it quietens down a little in the winter. I also have loyalty card (after 5 get 6th free) but just sign them. Like the diamanté idea! Don't they fall off easily tho if people keep them in a purse or something? X

Some good ideas there :) I also just work evenings but am fairly busy with it especially in the summer. I found it quietens down a little in the winter. I also have loyalty card (after 5 get 6th free) but just sign them. Like the diamanté idea! Don't they fall off easily tho if people keep them in a purse or something? X
Ha ha probably! Think they must just keep in a draw! I only do because i like anything sparkly!! I do have a fb page which ive got referrals through but not loads, ive done flyers, i think its just the competition i have Hun? How many do you have average pw? X

Ha ha probably! Think they must just keep in a draw! I only do because i like anything sparkly!! I do have a fb page which ive got referrals through but not loads, ive done flyers, i think its just the competition i have Hun? How many do you have average pw? X

It changes so much on a weekly basis, that's the trouble - can't ever rely on this income! To give an idea, I did 16 last week, 13 this week and have 9 booked in so far for next week. The most I've ever done in one evening is 12 but this is very unusual! Try to keep it to no more than 5-6 in one night because I just end up exhausted. I have a Facebook page and website, lots of people say they like the fact I have a website. I've noticed on Facebook recently that there's a lot more mobile spray tanners popping up around my area so I'm going to have to make sure I keep my name out there, and growing! Might steal your gift bag idea 😉 x

wowzers! How the hell do u manage!!?? You must get home so late! My prob is i work 3 days wed Fri sat, so i generally only get bookings Thurs Fri. I have a 18 month old so have to wait til husb gets home at 5, and i fo shifts so can only do a Fri if im on an early, not ideal. Most i get is 4/5 a week as i don't get them early on in week. It would be my dream to do it full time, but like you say its a lovely bit extra to spend on a treat bur not livable on especially with a self employed husb! Yeah sure! My girls luv em and a lolly is always a hit if they have kiddies ( hit £ land) !! I think your amaazin doing that many fair play! Id love to be busier, even though it is exhausting! I absolutely love tanning v passionate about it x

wowzers! How the hell do u manage!!?? You must get home so late! My prob is i work 3 days wed Fri sat, so i generally only get bookings Thurs Fri. I have a 18 month old so have to wait til husb gets home at 5, and i fo shifts so can only do a Fri if im on an early, not ideal. Most i get is 4/5 a week as i don't get them early on in week. It would be my dream to do it full time, but like you say its a lovely bit extra to spend on a treat bur not livable on especially with a self employed husb! Yeah sure! My girls luv em and a lolly is always a hit if they have kiddies ( hit £ land) !! I think your amaazin doing that many fair play! Id love to be busier, even though it is exhausting! I absolutely love tanning v passionate about it x

Well keep at it and you'll grow your business :) You're already doing extra things that others in your area may not be doing which will make you stand out from the rest!
I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old, husband gets in from work at 6 and I start my appointments at 6.30pm. Been doing this 2.5 years and it's only this year that I have become busy at the beginning of the week too :) wed/thurs/fri's are still my most busiest evenings for definite as most people want tans ready for the weekend but gradually mon & Tuesdays have become busier. The Winter will be a different story but I've found each winter gets a bit busier than the last so that's good!
Love your ideas and although each one is small they are the sorts of things that stick in peoples minds and if you're doing a good spray tan (which sounds like you are!) you're most definitely going to get lots of recommendations!

What is the brush technique exactly? And also silly question? But so u just use small party bags for giving gloves etc?

Hi,
Without sounding too much like an advert, we use a "Tanning and Contouring Brush" in our training and sell them on our website. Check out www.ambermist.com for full details. The Perfection Brush comes with a detailed fact sheet to show how you can easily learn the art of body sculpting.
Designed with patented silicon technology, The Perfection Brush gives you total control and allows you to tan difficult areas perfectly, without streaks or patchiness. The brush glides across the skin, distributing the product evenly, and has been specially designed not to absorb solution. A little goes a long way with this amazing invention, so there is far less wastage.
Professionals:
To be used during a tanning treatment.
Spray your client and stop just before their wrists, then take The Perfection Brush and lightly draw the solution towards their wrists and hands, buffing the product in. The brush will evenly distribute the solution creating a perfect,faded effect for your client.

Repeat for tanning of feet stopping just before the ankles.

If there is overspray during the treatment, use the brush to buff the product in. Will not leave any streaks or marks.

A blusher brush could be used but we found they went "soggy" and bristles came out on the body.
Ambermist

Has anyone got a template of after care advice??? Or know where to get one?

Latest posts

Back