Alternative colourist needs help with going back natural!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colour_Freak_91

Reaction score
Hello party people!
It is me... again!:)
Having a string of delightfully interesting colour clients...:p
I have a new client (not same one!) who is currently a previously coloured uniform slate grey, but it’s along the same lightness level as her root. (I placed it on my grey chart as a variation of a 6.)
She has 4 inches of root which I’ve placed as close to Shwarzkopf’s 6.65 which is a chocolate, mahogany, gold.
Usually on a natural grey base I would just apply the colour and it comes out a nice, natural brown with cool undertones because the chocolate mahogany adds balance! :D
But with it being a fashion colour I’m concerned it’ll bleed through.
Her hair is bleach damaged to the point where I will have to cut around 4 inches of her hair. (It currently brushes the shoulder). :confused:
Am I right to just treat it as grey and colour over or should I pre-pig/neutralise with red first on the fashion grey?
Bleaching or stripping it out isn’t an option at this point and I only resort to it when I have to as I really hate doing it and putting the clients hair through it. :rolleyes:
She’d eventually like to get to a brunette balayage but I’m going to start with the base.
The healing starts here! :D

Attachments

• 73677CB2-0176-4563-88AD-DB1A37180689.png
    73677CB2-0176-4563-88AD-DB1A37180689.png
    638.2 KB · Views: 29
  • F434ECE9-BBEF-4512-8979-9164CFA17550.png
    F434ECE9-BBEF-4512-8979-9164CFA17550.png
    861.5 KB · Views: 26
If the grey is an oxidised colour, use a colour reducer to remove it. It won’t cause damage because it doesn’t contain bleach or peroxide. You do need to follow the instructions carefully and rinse forever but it should make life easier than trying to cover it.

If the grey is an oxidised colour, use a colour reducer to remove it. It won’t cause damage because it doesn’t contain bleach or peroxide. You do need to follow the instructions carefully and rinse forever but it should make life easier than trying to cover it.

Thankyou for the reply! :)
Alas, it’s a direct dye (arctic fox I think she said) so only bleach will do it. I’m sorry if not mentioned this before!

Have used a remedy which is head and shoulders, vit c on myself before.... So I could always try that I suppose! It doesn’t take it out entirely but it does fade it. :)

You shouldn’t use bleach to remove direct dyes as it can cause it to stain the cuticle layer. Best to use a direct dye remover or one of the diy removal methods using ascorbic acid (vitamin C) or caster oil. The vitamin C method is incredibly drying so if her hair is already badly damaged I’dprobably suggest she waits for it to fade out naturally.

Thanks, I did already know that about the bleach but in the case of green/blue hue which is common in greys, the remover doesn’t really cut it.
I qualified with Pravana, and those guys actually teach to bleach cool toned Vivids :rolleyes:
But Pravana’s vivids do fade out completely so I think that is a Pravana exclusive thing! ;)
The remover tends to pull out purple/red/pink really well, but green just holds fast.:confused:
I have successfully removed green/blue with bleach many times, I just use a low volume and olaplex.
I’ve not tried the castor oil method though so I will give that a go just to avoid the bleach as I don’t even want to chance it with olaplex at this stage!:eek:

Latest posts

Back