Alternative to acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jewel14101

Reaction score
I have been a nail tech for 18 years and have recently grown an allergy to acrylic.. I need to give that part up:. It's about 25% of my business.. Gel polish is my biggest part but unfortunately I have some clients that nails are not good with gel. They need more structure.. Any alternatives? Something that will soak of and not need fillings?

How about a gel overlay? I use a hard gel which requires filing but there are soak off gels out there that are hard wearing and can be applied under gel polish for those who need extra strength.

Isn't gel just a pre-mixed acrylic with added uv initiators? Is it the liquid or powder you're allergic to or the cured product?

Isn't gel just a pre-mixed acrylic with added uv initiators? Is it the liquid or powder you're allergic to or the cured product?

Kind of, but not quite that simple, gel is lower on the allergen scale than L&P. I'll see if I can find the GMG'S allergen scale in the old tutorials page....

Kind of, but not quite that simple, gel is lower on the allergen scale than L&P. I'll see if I can find the GMG'S allergen scale in the old tutorials page....

Embarrassingly, I can't find it! I'm 99% sure it was in one of the tutorials, but I can't remember if GMG or Geeg posted it. Unfortunately for me Geeg was one of the most prolific posters and there are loads LOL. I'll keep searching, it's become a bit of a personal mission now!

I can't find the actual table I'm sure I've seen somewhere but I think it may have been during my Brisa Training (many moons ago) from hunting around :confused:

I did find an article written by Doug Schoon about 'hypoallergenic' and how Brisa was specifically created to bring down the amount of ingredients that could potentially cause over-exposure/allergy. It's on this link, which is the nearest I could find at the moment.....I'll keep looking though.

http://www.salongeek.com/threads/technotes.3010/ (it's the last tech note attachment at the bottom)

Found this:
Here is the list from Highest to Lowest:

1. Odorless Light-Cured Liquid and Powder: This is because you are limited to what chemicals you can use to
keep it odorless.

2. UV-Cured or Light-Cured Gels: Most gels need a UV-light to cure. The bulbs in these lights will still turn on,
giving the impression that they are effective, when is actuality the product doesn’t fully cure, leaving non-reacted
chemicals trapped in the enhancement.

3. Odorless Products: These products need to be used with a dry mix-ratio to avoid non-reacted monomers from
penetrating into nail plate.

4. Liquid and Powder- Acrylic System:Universal Nail Liquid is basic chemistry without the UV protective
additives, which has been shown to be suitable for more sensitive clients.

5. No Light Gels or Wraps: The downside is that these are not typically strong.

...and this, from Nails Magazine
In general a person is more likely to develop a reaction to the resin of gels than the powder-and-liquid combination of acrylic. Doug Schoon, vice president of science and technology for Creative Nail Design in Vista, Calif., explains why: “In order for something to cause an allergy, it has to penetrate the skin.” Schoon says that if a molecule is too large, it can’t penetrate the skin. The molecules in the liquid monomer used in acrylic application are at a size where they can penetrate the skin, but when they cure (dry) the molecules increase in size and are unable to enter the body through the skin. The molecules in the ingredients of gel applications are smaller than the molecules in the monomer, which is why gels are more likely to cause a reaction — they make it into the body more easily.

...and this, from Nails Magazine
In general a person is more likely to develop a reaction to the resin of gels than the powder-and-liquid combination of acrylic. Doug Schoon, vice president of science and technology for Creative Nail Design in Vista, Calif., explains why: “In order for something to cause an allergy, it has to penetrate the skin.” Schoon says that if a molecule is too large, it can’t penetrate the skin. The molecules in the liquid monomer used in acrylic application are at a size where they can penetrate the skin, but when they cure (dry) the molecules increase in size and are unable to enter the body through the skin. The molecules in the ingredients of gel applications are smaller than the molecules in the monomer, which is why gels are more likely to cause a reaction — they make it into the body more easily.

More likely ?

According to Schoon, yes. He's the industry expert.

Just a question do you wear gloves while doing the acrylic service at all?

I don't, no. They stink and my hand gets sweaty lol

Have you tried the blue gloves ? I use those instead of the clear or yellow ones and these you get from dental clinic or some suppliers do carry them they very nice and not smelly

I developed an allergic reaction to Ezflow acrylic years ago ,I thought I was going to have to give up acrylic ,but then I converted to CND ,(hyper allergenic)...all is good now :))

I developed an allergic reaction to Ezflow acrylic years ago ,I thought I was going to have to give up acrylic ,but then I converted to CND ,(hyper allergenic)...all is good now :))
I think you mean "hypoallergenic".

Latest posts

Back