Alternative to cotton wool?

holisticzoe

Hi,
I'm looking to reduce my business waste, is anyone successfully using an alternative to cotton wool pads and cotton buds please?

My uses for them are in facials, tinting, lash lifts and removing gel polish.

Many thanks Zoe

RosieR

I can only think of facial useage sorry.
I use yellow circular sponges for cleanser and mask removal- obviously damp ones.
Also fine cotton cloths and very fine flannels for the same reason. They are fully washable and as I always use aromatherapy oils in my water , don't degrade because of it. ( I do a hot cloth cleanse)
I do use cotton wool for eyemakeup and lipstick removal, but using one oif the cloths would be ok I am sure.
Can't think of anything for the other treatments ...good luck

CFBS

I use Ramer sponges for everything in a facial apart from applying the toner. (Actually, you can use a small Ramer sponge with toner in a little bowl too thinking about it, great for men's facials)

Cotton buds with paper stems are more eco-friendly than the plastic ones if that helps.
Can't think of any alternatives for polish removal but perhaps others have some bright ideas?

nikkisbeauty

You can buy reusable cotton wipes, there a small round about the same size as a cotton wool pad with towering one side and cotton on the other Iv been using these for a while for manicures, there actually really good as quite scrubby with the towelling side, but you wouldn’t want to use them on the face, and I just put them in a netted bag, give them a soak in Milton and then on a 60 wash they do get stained if you use them with normal polish so need replacing occasionally, Iv also stopped using couch roll and have started using pillow cases cut in to sheets the size of couch roll which I stitched to finish nicely, all washed as above, I also found small sponges which can be washed and reused for the soak off, all of clients have loved the idea of being more environmentally friendly

holisticzoe

Amazing thank you so much for all your ideas, I've already ditched the couch roll but my main concern about the swop was how to remove gel polish, disntbeven think of little sponges, donyiu still wrap in foil ?

House Beauty

Hi,
I'm looking to reduce my business waste, is anyone successfully using an alternative to cotton wool pads and cotton buds please?

My uses for them are in facials, tinting, lash lifts and removing gel polish.

Many thanks Zoe
I did try using black flannels for a while, to clean the glass tinting cups, or for the client to wipe their eyes after but my germophobic side doesn’t like it. Fine for cleaning tint off of stuff but I prefer not to use reusable s where eyes are involved. Eg people with herpes are not supposed to share towels and I really don’t have time or money to barbicide my towels as well as washing them.

You can recycle cotton pads in some areas. But it’s difficult to find out where.

I’m using my disposable body towels and I cut in half to use for a body cover during treatments, then the other half I make into mani and pedi sizes and facial towels so I guess I could cut them more to make cotton pads out of them. They are compostable.

Ive never used cotton pads during facials though. Steam towels all the way, use them to wipe products off too. I use the body towels for that too.

nikkisbeauty

Amazing thank you so much for all your ideas, I've already ditched the couch roll but my main concern about the swop was how to remove gel polish, disntbeven think of little sponges, donyiu still wrap in foil ?
Hi no I have the little clips to hold it in place which can also be sanitised etc, eventually sometimes the little springs can give up so sometimes need replacing but they are pretty cheap to pick up x

nikkisbeauty

The sponges were by cuccio, the remover clips where from eBay