Alternative to cotton wool?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holisticzoe

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking to reduce my business waste, is anyone successfully using an alternative to cotton wool pads and cotton buds please?

My uses for them are in facials, tinting, lash lifts and removing gel polish.

Many thanks Zoe

I can only think of facial useage sorry.
I use yellow circular sponges for cleanser and mask removal- obviously damp ones.
Also fine cotton cloths and very fine flannels for the same reason. They are fully washable and as I always use aromatherapy oils in my water , don't degrade because of it. ( I do a hot cloth cleanse)
I do use cotton wool for eyemakeup and lipstick removal, but using one oif the cloths would be ok I am sure.
Can't think of anything for the other treatments ...good luck

I use Ramer sponges for everything in a facial apart from applying the toner. (Actually, you can use a small Ramer sponge with toner in a little bowl too thinking about it, great for men's facials)

Cotton buds with paper stems are more eco-friendly than the plastic ones if that helps.
Can't think of any alternatives for polish removal but perhaps others have some bright ideas?

You can buy reusable cotton wipes, there a small round about the same size as a cotton wool pad with towering one side and cotton on the other Iv been using these for a while for manicures, there actually really good as quite scrubby with the towelling side, but you wouldn’t want to use them on the face, and I just put them in a netted bag, give them a soak in Milton and then on a 60 wash they do get stained if you use them with normal polish so need replacing occasionally, Iv also stopped using couch roll and have started using pillow cases cut in to sheets the size of couch roll which I stitched to finish nicely, all washed as above, I also found small sponges which can be washed and reused for the soak off, all of clients have loved the idea of being more environmentally friendly

Amazing thank you so much for all your ideas, I've already ditched the couch roll but my main concern about the swop was how to remove gel polish, disntbeven think of little sponges, donyiu still wrap in foil ?

Hi,
I'm looking to reduce my business waste, is anyone successfully using an alternative to cotton wool pads and cotton buds please?

My uses for them are in facials, tinting, lash lifts and removing gel polish.

Many thanks Zoe

I did try using black flannels for a while, to clean the glass tinting cups, or for the client to wipe their eyes after but my germophobic side doesn’t like it. Fine for cleaning tint off of stuff but I prefer not to use reusable s where eyes are involved. Eg people with herpes are not supposed to share towels and I really don’t have time or money to barbicide my towels as well as washing them.

You can recycle cotton pads in some areas. But it’s difficult to find out where.

I’m using my disposable body towels and I cut in half to use for a body cover during treatments, then the other half I make into mani and pedi sizes and facial towels so I guess I could cut them more to make cotton pads out of them. They are compostable.

Ive never used cotton pads during facials though. Steam towels all the way, use them to wipe products off too. I use the body towels for that too.

Amazing thank you so much for all your ideas, I've already ditched the couch roll but my main concern about the swop was how to remove gel polish, disntbeven think of little sponges, donyiu still wrap in foil ?

Hi no I have the little clips to hold it in place which can also be sanitised etc, eventually sometimes the little springs can give up so sometimes need replacing but they are pretty cheap to pick up x

The sponges were by cuccio, the remover clips where from eBay [emoji51]

Only found this thread now. I've been trawling the internet the last two weeks looking for alternatives for the same but can't find any for cotton. I asked a question on a facebook chat about reusable cotton pads because I read that cotton can be sterilised in an auto clave on a dry setting at 137 degrees (after washing). One person said flat out that you can't reuse cotton pads as they are porous. Another person said to boil them. I'm thinking now that I need to contact a health and safety authority or similar to find out what options there are.

I've a few other ideas for reusing stuff. You might have thought of them already but no harm in putting them out there.

Wide plastic headband with no teeth instead of hairnet/fabric headband.
Heavy duty PVC cover for bed.
Possibly last swab instead of cotton buds for removing lash tint - https://www.lastswab.com/ I haven't tried them yet.

I was also looking at an alternative to barbicide. I found this https://earthecco.com/
I email the company to confirm that it is anti-fungal, anti-septic and anti-viral aswell as anti-bacterial. I'm waiting to hear back.

Anyway, I hope any of that helps even a bit. It's great to see someone else thinking along the same lines :D
Claire

I’ve just bought some disposable cotton wool from Simply dry, they’re made from sustainable bamboo & are biodegradable .
I haven’t tried them with clients as yet but trialled them with taking my make up off & they seem soft & very strong despite being very thin.

It's so difficult I was thinking bamboo but apparently it takes 4 times the amount of water that cotton uses in the manufacturing stage and also some not all uses chemicals that causing serious health issues to the workers manufacturering it. So now I'm not sure about bamboo products, it's an absolute midfield.

Minefield lol not talking football

Although just looked up in ethical living magazine and found this
Screenshot_20190830_222548_com.android.chrome.jpg

So clearly ignore my comments about bamboo lol

So clearly ignore my comments about bamboo lol
LoL, sounds pretty good!
Used the bamboo pads on clients for the first today & I must say they’re fab! Really strong & no fibres came off them. A winner for me.

Excellent thanks for OK etting us all know, it's so helpful to get feedback on new stuff from genuine users x

Seriously what is wrong with me meant to say thanks for letting us all know lol

LoL, sounds pretty good!
Used the bamboo pads on clients for the first today & I must say they’re fab! Really strong & no fibres came off them. A winner for me.
Hi, how do you clean them for reuse. Thanks :)

Hi, how do you clean them for reuse. Thanks :)
Hi!
You don’t clean them or reuse, just throw them away as usual & they biodegrade within 8-12 weeks.

Latest posts

Back