Alternatives to bread, pasta and potatoes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairflair'xo

Reaction score
Hey guys wondering if anyone can help...I really want to shift some weight but due to my pcos I'm limited, I have to stay away from carbs as much as possible, even things like brown pasta stops me losing weight! But it's the only thing that fills me up :/ I don't wanna live on veg and chicken lol, anyone? Xxx

Have you tried quinoa? Really nice.

Always suprises me how much a good stir fry can fill you up! Sounds boring but vary the veg and make sure it has plenty of flavour. Always think eating double the amount of veg is better than half the amount of carbs, and you feel better for it. Small and regular meals aswell. Good luck x

You could substitute the pasta in a lasagne for thinly sliced courgettes or aubergine.
Lots of egg dishes, frittata with lots of vegetables. Salads.

What about small portions of brown rice? I stay away from bread (except once a week). I don't eat cereal but I do eat small portion of pasta a couple times a week and potatoes. I know that doesn't help much does it. Have you tried slimming world. I'm on strong medications that mess with your hormones a lot but lost 4 stones on it xxx

What about small portions of brown rice? I stay away from bread (except once a week). I don't eat cereal but I do eat small portion of pasta a couple times a week and potatoes. I know that doesn't help much does it. Have you tried slimming world. I'm on strong medications that mess with your hormones a lot but lost 4 stones on it xxx

I've tried slimming world three times before and put weight on all three times despite following it to the letter, only way I've ever managed to lose any weight is by practically starving myself, which I know isn't a lifestyle lol xxx

Google low glycemic load foods (NOT glycemic index!) I also have PCOS and found following low glycemic load diet, metformin and regular exercise helped me lose weight.

PCOS makes you insulin resistant hence the metformin helps and low glycemic load foods take less insulin to break down. :)

I'm the same hair flair. I have to eat foods with a lot of water in them. Salads are filling if you add a little grated cheese and a handful of peanuts. I found if I was desperate for bread, Danish was the best as it's mostly fresh air and quite limp. My staple diet is salad with various protein with it. Sometimes it's like beef or chicken burger in a bowl without the bun. You might be able to pick up an Atkins recipe book on eBay as that can give you ideas for carb substitutes. My treat once a week is a slice of toast or a fluffy bread bun as I've trained my taste buds not to like chocolate anymore. Are you on any meds? Metformin really helped me with stablising blood sugars, I didn't get any crashes. It's awful when you have to make hunger your friend and for years I just used to eat every other day and exercise on the days I ate. The good thing, is for me anyway, once the weight starts to come off, the rest came off easier, although still have to be strict with food long term and go back to eating every other day for 6 weeks or so every so often.

Have you heard of the Dukan diet essentially it is just no carbs unfortunately as a fellow PCOS sufferer this is pretty much the only way

Breakfast can be scrambled egg and ham with a yoghurt

Lunch could be a simple salad with protein add some seeds or nuts to help hunger

Dinner can be a steak and veg but careful what veg try mainly green it contains less carbs

This is my adaptation Dukan is just meat or protein

Treat yourself once a week to your fav something like a square of choc, some ice etc don't deprive yourself just once a week

It takes 28 days to break a habit just hang on in there

We can do it together if you like I still have a way to go but am here for moral support if you need it 😊 xx

Have a look at the South Beach diet. I found not only did I lose weight but slept better and was a lot calmer and no hunger trauma! I don't eat pasta, bread or rice now. It was only when I did South Beach that I discovered that my IBS was severely aggravated by most carbs. If I really want to eat something carby my rule of thumb is to eat it in as close to its natural state as possible which for me now is basically a jacket potato like once a month lol.

Vicki x

I didn't realise there were so many options! Thanks everyone for your help :D I ways thought metmorfin was a fertility drug for pcos...is it for weight loss too? Xxx

I've done the dukan it's the only way I've ever successfully lost a decent amount of weight. :)

Have a look at at forum called soulcysters very useful info about PCOS on there! :)

Celeriac is a good substitute for potatoes. When I was low carbing and lost loads of weight I really appreciated being able to make dauphinoise with it. It was pure comfort food.

I'm on the Paleo diet, it recommends cauliflower instead of rice or potatoes. Either mash or put cooked in a blender to form a sort of rice. Garlic and spring onions can be added for flavour.

Sweet potato and butternut squash are great veg to replace carbs

Thank you for all your suggestions lovely's! Feeling much more motivated now! :D xxx

Sweet potato and butternut squash are great veg to replace carbs

Both of these are actually really high in carbs, in general avoid the sweeter, root veg and stick to greens (not peas & beans). Rubbish, I know!

Both of these are actually really high in carbs, in general avoid the sweeter, root veg and stick to greens (not peas & beans). Rubbish, I know!

I don't actually like butternut squash much and can't stand sweet potato! Haha what about swede? I love that! Xxx

Latest posts

Back