Am i being taken for a ride?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christi

Softie Walter Geek
Reaction score
Hi all!......Bit of a long post... just letting of steam and looking for advice.
As some of you will know i have resently given up my full time day job to try and expand my mobile business and work for myself.
I had been offered a room in a salon, My initial proposal was that i rent a room in a hair dressers.
The offer was i rent free for 4-6months as a trial period to see how it works out, A beauty room which needed a few things doing to it but was told(" room for expansion i hasten to add"), my nail bar to be placed in the salon itself, the girls would take all my calls and book in appointments in for me? . The reason for the offer is that this lady has beauty in the title of her shop (i.e hair and beauty) and said she needed a good beautician to offer this perticular service to her clients and i was recommended by quite a few of her clients(some of them are my mobile clients too)(sounds good)?
The next propersition was why dont i while building up my business get a set wage from her each month to help me out a bit, in return i take some of the calls when im not busy and book in all the appointments(reception basicly)mmmmmm.
She asked how much i earned from my day job and said you should cover that easy! I was to get 30% of all my takings,(all the stock is mine at the moment, so when it is replenished i will get 10% plus basic of 768 take home pay yeah not a bad deal.
Well went in to paint and take a few of my things over and noticed that since the last time i looked at the room, there had been a combi boiler put in, yep raw pipes an all on the wall (lovely), no wall taken out, or new floor layed (the other floor was full of dye and walking up at all the corners filthy too (the expantion that was mentioned) a kitchen cuboard just to say on the wall, for storage, eh!!!! (Ok stay possitive there is time yet)
A month almost up an my room has a couch in it with only enough room to put a chair and stool (for pedicures) by the side of it, then you have to close the door to get in, a little tiny trolly behind the door, and a waxing station at the bottom end of the couch, the cuboard is off the wall and there still is no paint on the wall, despite me buying it. My title is Beauty/Nailtechnician come customer service manager?(her idea not mine).
Just had my firt wage, (problem with tax man i was told) been taxed 190 somthing quid, but dont worry you can claim it back next month i was told, take home pay 627.27, that includes a 50 quid bonus to help me out a bit, OMG devistated. Dont forget though next month your tax will be ok and you should come home with approx 768, an thats a good wage for a beautician i was told.
Well correct me if im wrong but isn't it all my stock and arn't i doing a customer service managers job(reception + T/Coffee maker) for that wage, as well as Beautician come Nail tech? I have also given up a full time day job, also part of my mobile business, as i am working 9-5pm mon tues, wed off, thur till 6pm, fri till 7pm, sat 5.30pm thats if all have clients are finnished, and if not we stay till they are done of course. Already worked two half wed as you do fitting in clients (and as a good deed) trying to work round my reg mobile clients, not easy let me tell you, am shattered, but hey its my commitment and my business.

PS just found out that there has been 4/5 beauty/nail techs before me, left for various reasons?

I trust everyone me, not such a bad trait i think but within reason.
Yeah i went through the whole argy bargy at the biggining, all the question etc, but thought go on give it a go. Is it too early days am i panicking or am i been taken for a ride!!!!

OMG long post loads of spelling mistakes, please excuse.
luv 'n' hugs
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

have you tryed talking to the owner about the situation and that you cant work in a shoe box etc, sorry but i think i would ask for a pay rise as you seem to be doing a team effort on your own, and i think i can see why the last techs left

i think you deserve a hug:hug:

Tracey your a star!!!!

I think i am just letting off steam!.

As each day goes by you manage that little bit more and adapt to your situation. But i still think it is a problem even though i am putting up with it.
Tryed the talk talk but to no avail just get yeah will get it sorted one time.

Wages, well thats another matter, im working on.

Thanks for your response, hope things work out well with you and your son, ment to say that before now, Hugs for you both :hug:. Have been there myself with my youngest son, (tell you another time maybe).

Luv 'n' hugs
xxxxxxxx

Hi christi hun,
it sounds like in the begining it was a good little prospect but she seems to be taking advantage of your good nature. Take the paint home if you paid for it and tell her you will bring it back when the room is finished, don't you do it, otherwise you could be another tech who leaves but has done up the rooms for her.

As to the money side of things i havent got a clue maybe ask sassy#1, she runs her own business and is very fair i am sure she will point you in the right direction.

i do hope it does work out for you and she is just having a scatty moment.
x

This sounds a bit one way, also....I dont like the idea of the wage structure...

i never know how this works this renting a room thing.

Trial it for a couple of months then get outta there if it doesnt work in your favour.

My spare room at home is earning me a few bob - no one to answer to love it.

Chin up babes.

Amb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Christi, not sure if I have read it properly:

you are providing all your own materials as if self employed and yet you are on a set wage as if employed?
Or is the set wage just for the customer service duties, and you are keeping the money for any clients you've done?

Have I worked it out right that you are working around 38.5 hours a week and getting paid £768 per month.. that works out at less than £5 an hour.

If all the above is true then I can see why you need to let off steam!!!!

£5 an hour is, no offence, a cr*p wage - I was going to be offered more than that at a big nail chain as a STARTING WAGE, only doing nails, only doing one system... so to be paid that for nails and beauty AND when you're supplying our own products is a bit of a piss take if you ask me.

Are you getting many clients right now? Are you taking more than £768 per month in treatments?

If so you need to sit this woman down and sort things out. It has to be decided either you are self employed in which case work out a percentage or rent, or employed, in which case SHE should be covering all the costs for stock, not you. If you would rather be self-employed but aren't getting many clients right now then by all means come to some sort of deal, either reduced rent or you do a bit to help out in return for the room, but don't let her tell you that £4.92 an hour is a fair rate! It seems to me as if she is getting all the perks - cheap labour, not paying for stock or equipment, and you are just slogging your guts out!

But then I may have read your post all wrong :D

Thanks for the advice girls!

Yeah thats right Bimborgeri, it is hundreds of ponds worth of stock of my own stock, and i am not getting the clients money for me its for her i get 30% of the takings, i have a set wage at the moment which includes the customer service bit,(i think i am doing three jobs for the price of one).

I have just given up good wage as a buyer for a company, and also part of my mobile business(which i have had for almost three years ish)

All the beauty equipment is mine including stock for waxing of all types eye treatments, hands, feet, facial, St Tropez/Fake Bake Tanning etc.

I just thought initialy it sounded good to get established in the salon, and getting business from her hair clients too was a bonus, but feel the goal posts have been moved and the tables turned a bit.

I want to make it work and would like to give it a good go, so might just give it three months. I have my regular mobile clients too, but am finding it so tiring at the monent, maybe because i am on my feet all day as opposed to sat on in my a*** in my office all day, lol.

God, ive turned into a moaner, soz girls.

Luv 'n' hugs
xxxxxx

Think you deserve to moan hun after reading what the breakown is.
Big hugs
x

Did she get your P45 from your old job as soon as you started, because if she did not then your last pay packet could be paid at Basic Rate tax, in which case you should get a tax refund along with your set wage next month (if she has added your YTD figures from the P45). If she does not put the YTD figures from the P45 into the pay system you will be charged tax at a basic rate month after month after month, untill she gets round to it. This has happened to my daughter and she has eventually got £600 tax back when it all got sorted out, but it took ages. So please make sure she has entered the YTD figures from your P45 onto the payroll system.

(YTD = year to date pay/tax amount paid)

Good luck with everything. I think that you are right to give it 3 months and if she does not buck up then leave. You will have had time to build up a list of clients, and as you are a good tech then they will obviously want to follow you and so they may then become added to your mobile list. I know you are not supposed to poach clients from another business, but as there were no nail clients before you came then in my eyes you have gained these clients yourself, not poached them.

ok, it sounds to me like your job status is having a bit of an identity crisis.

are you employed or self employed...? hmmmm...

by providing all your own stock surely that makes you self employed, however by being payed a set wage with commission makes you employed.

Myself, i would suggest that the salon owner either buys your stock off you, or buys you new stock, as your gonna be spending a huge chunk of 'wages' on stock that you shouldnt even be buying!!!

xxx

Latest posts

Back