Am I being unreasonable?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Murasaki

Reaction score
I have just moved house so I can work from home.

I had a lady come around for a makeup trial and she brought her mum and friend with her.

The friend had a newborn baby with her. I'm not a prude, but I was really offended when she suddenly started to change her baby on my new wooden floors without a changing mat and without asking me if was ok to do so.

I asked her politely to use the bathroom and a hanging mat, as the flooring was new and it was unhygienic for this to be done in the salon.

she look at me as if I was being really nasty and got very offended.

I don't think I was being unreasonable to ask her to use a mat and she should of asked me in the first place if it was ok to change the nappy in the salon (which it wasn't as it was unhygienic).

I'm now going to have to put a baby ban in (I already have a no child policy) I think as I can't have this happening again.

I don't think that's unreasonable at all. You'd like to think any normal person with a baby that's gone to someone's salon (home or not) would change their baby in a bathroom without having to be asked. I'm 100% with you here.

They sound like a very disrespectful group of women. They put you in an uncomfortable situation. I wouldn't want anything to do with them.

Did she get poo all over your floor?

No I think bringing 2 adults and a baby with her is unnecessary and unreasonable. I've recently implemented a no children policy. I have 3 but I wouldn't take then to an appointment with me!

No, not unreasonable at all. To me, it's not so much a hygiene issue but simple lack of good manners.

Aargh! She's probably one of those women who also thinks it's fine to change the baby's nappy on the table of a cafe or restaurant. Just hope that she doesn't return in two years time with a toddler child plus potty...!

That is truly shocking behaviour and wrong on so many levels!!!!
You should have said the floor has just been treated with a toxic woodworm solution :) I would have!

I wouldn't expect that behaviour of a close friend.

I'd be worried what the baby would leave on my floor and would have handed her a mop and bleach afterwards.

I have a policy of no children / adults accompanying..unless they stay in the treatment room with me and the client during treatment. They soon decide that's a bad idea and come back later or go for a walk, as I have a very small treatment room.

I certainly wouldn't have given her the option of changing the baby in your bathroom!! Would she be helping herself to your talc, towels and toiletries as well?

I had a lot of people asking in my salon if they could go in the beauty room and change their baby on the bed to which I always said no. But just to save any awkwardness I got a cheap small changing table for about £3.00 off ebay and put it just outside the toilet.

Not unreasonable at all! I'm actually more shocked the woman thought it was ok to put her baby on a floor! I'd be more concerned for the baby than the flooring though :D

I suppose I'm old:

I grew up when there weren't special car seats for kids, seat belts in cars weren't compulsory. Changing bags, microwavable bottles and baby change facilities weren't available. There were prams for babies, then a push chair for toddlers with a canvas type back and fold up metal foot rests...That's as hightech as it got ( Well it was the 1960's ) lol!!

...so I'm way out of touch! ;)

I suppose I'm old:

I grew up when there weren't special car seats for kids, seat belts in cars weren't compulsory. Changing bags, microwavable bottles and baby change facilities weren't available. There were prams for babies, then a push chair for toddlers with a canvas type back and fold up metal foot rests...That's as hightech as it got ( Well it was the 1960's ) lol!!

...so I'm way out of touch! ;)
I'm old too I think, I diddnt see the problem :/ last week a little one brought the potty out of the toilet into the middle of the salon & dropped his pants and had a pee :oops: I was more proud of him for using the potty than angry he'd done it in my shop, we even did the pee pee in the potty dance as a reward :rolleyes:

I'm just fed up of these mothers that feel just because they have baby they can do what they want when they want and how they want even though it offends people or causes damage etc

The baby didn't poo on the floor however, it's not hygienic and babies poo rather smells and not something I wanted stinking out my salon or house.

I did however have to scrub breast milk out of my sofa as she wipped out her boobs and breast fed her baby too after she changed him.

I appreciate breastfeeding is a natural thing, however I'm very old fashioned and I did find uncomfortable, especially as she thought as we're all women here it's ok kind of thing and didn't think to ask me if it was ok or if she could go somewhere private to do it.

If I was breastfeeding a baby I would not just get my boobs out in a strangers salon in front of them.

I'm just fed up of these mothers that feel just because they have baby they can do what they want when they want and how they want even though it offends people or causes damage etc

The baby didn't poo on the floor however, it's not hygienic and babies poo rather smells and not something I wanted stinking out my salon or house.

I did however have to scrub breast milk out of my sofa as she wipped out her boobs and breast fed her baby too after she changed him.

I appreciate breastfeeding is a natural thing, however I'm very old fashioned and I did find uncomfortable, especially as she thought as we're all women here it's ok kind of thing and didn't think to ask me if it was ok or if she could go somewhere private to do it.

If I was breastfeeding a baby I would not just get my boobs out in a strangers salon in front of them.

Now that is unreasonable. And if you own the business you could be sued for discrimination if you complained.
The nappy is unhygienic. A baby being fed is not and if you feel uncomfortable seeing a baby being fed then that's you issue not the mothers.

I personally do not believe any nursing mother should have to ask if it is ok to feed their hungry baby. When mine were nursing and hungry they were fed and to be honest, to bugger with anyone it offended x

Yes and No.

In this case, the mum was totally superfluous and just there as a hanger on. She wasn't the client. She really shouldn't have been there at all. I don't think visiting a home salon should be viewed as suitable entertainment for a baby. There are plenty of places that are geared up for hosting children but a small home salon definitely isn't one of them.

Obviously, as a salon owner you determine your target market and make it attractive to them. If you want to appeal to the clients with kids in tow, that's fine. But you can't be all things to everyone.

To me the salon should be a sanctuary where it's peaceful and relaxing away from noisy kids. I have children and a grandchild which means I want to give them 1:1 time when we're together but I also appreciate my alone time. (Away from hubby too!)

If I was visiting a salon where babies and children were running around and peeing in potties, I honestly would never return, no matter how good the staff are. It just wouldn't have the right ambience for me to feel relaxed in.

Now that is unreasonable. And if you own the business you could be sued for discrimination if you complained.
The nappy is unhygienic. A baby being fed is not and if you feel uncomfortable seeing a baby being fed then that's you issue not the mothers.

I'm sorry if I've offended you, but I don't think I'm being unreasonable. Why should I have to clean up breast milk off a sofa in my own home after a client feeding her baby?

How is that fair to me?

If it had been in a high street salon I wouldn't have had any issue, but this was my home, she knew she coming to my house and not a high street salon and I just felt she should be more respectful.

I personally do not believe any nursing mother should have to ask if it is ok to feed their hungry baby. When mine were nursing and hungry they were fed and to be honest, to bugger with anyone it offended x

I think people have miss understood my issue here, I don't have a problem with nursing mothers that are discreate about breast feeding and cover up while doing it.

What I do take issue with is someone getting their boobs out making a big thing about and covering my sofa arm with breast milk and leaving me to clean it up, just after they have use my lovely new wooden floor as changing mat.

Why should they cover up? The babies head covers anything worth seeing anyways. You probably see more with what some women walk around wearing lol. I think its hard enough for women who want to feed as it is. Believe it or not thats actually what our breasts are there for. X

I don't have a problem with women breastfeeding all I'm saying is she should of been mindful in my own home that i may not share her personal beliefs and she should of be more respectful of this.

Just because someone has a baby it does not mean you can force you personal views on others and expect them to be ok with it.

I wouldn't expect someone to clean up my own milk or usetheir floor as a changing mat, so why should this woman?

Just because I can't have children for medical reason, doesn't mean I have less rights than someone who can have them in my own home

Tbf, I'm weirded out by breastfeeding. So I would assume a client would ask, I would never refuse, obviously.

But, it would be the same as asking if it's ok to use the loo, feel a product, fidget mid-service.

More of a 'I'm going to do it, but just out of manners I'm letting you know by asking first'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back