Am I charging too much?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The actual cost to the hairdresser is very low for foils yet we charge more because it takes more time, I charge around £60 - £70 for colour correction, I.e removal of old colour and application of new & cut & finish, I make profit from this, so those charging £100 + must be loving life! I need to look at my prices!

I know that this may sound like a really stupid question I know the cost of living and cost of property and business rates is more expensive down south but is the cost of products more expensive down south and oppose to up north?

No we can all order from Aston & fincher or salons direct

The actual cost to the hairdresser is very low for foils yet we charge more because it takes more time, I charge around £60 - £70 for colour correction, I.e removal of old colour and application of new & cut & finish, I make profit from this, so those charging £100 + must be loving life! I need to look at my prices!

I think the cost of delivering such a service is actually quite high.
It obviously depends on brand, but factor in your remover, colour and mech, this could easily amount to around £15 - £20.00.
Add time, say 2 - 2 1/2 hours.
Depending on what you charge per hour (i.e my CBD = £35.00), then add it all together = approx. £105.
Don't forget the 'RISK' factor.........You' re taking on the unknown, you cannot be sure of what is REALLY on that hair!....... so there has to be, IMO, a fair 'reward' in it for you!

I think the cost of delivering such a service is actually quite high.

It obviously depends on brand, but factor in your remover, colour and mech, this could easily amount to around £15 - £20.00.

Add time, say 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

Depending on what you charge per hour (i.e my CBD = £35.00), then add it all together = approx. £105.

Don't forget the 'RISK' factor.........You' re taking on the unknown, you cannot be sure of what is REALLY on that hair!....... so there has to be, IMO, a fair 'reward' in it for you!

My calculation based on those above would place me right where I am price wise, ovs product costs the same but my cbd is £20 so by charging what I do seems standard then, unfortunately location is my driving factor for prices. Glad to see that I'm not way off looking at how you worked it out.

Do you all work on this basis?

I've just looked back through this thread, that would make the above calculation for some @£50 an hour.... Maybe it's location I need to look at then prices lol

The nearest place to me that charges that much is cardiff, but the rates are tremendous there, so I guess that wouldn't seem a lot to them, swings and roundabouts really isn't it

I've just looked back through this thread, that would make the above calculation for some @£50 an hour.... Maybe it's location I need to look at then prices lol

The nearest place to me that charges that much is cardiff, but the rates are tremendous there, so I guess that wouldn't seem a lot to them, swings and roundabouts really isn't it

As I generally book 1 hour for a CBD, this is how I arrive at my hourly rate!
I would like to ask more, but, want 'bums on seat's', and am mindful of my competitors! :rolleyes:

I don't charge a specific 'colour correction' price, more every service I will need to perform broken down.
This was a colour correction from yesterday, it took 9 hours and multiple formulas. I charged her £125
View attachment 84013

I don't charge a specific 'colour correction' price, more every service I will need to perform broken down.
This was a colour correction from yesterday, it took 9 hours and multiple formulas. I charged her £125
View attachment 84013

Awww lovely how did you do that ?

Oh wow that is fab!! Defo worth the price! How did you do that?

No not too much!! Shes just tight hence why she uses box dyes!

I charge £80 colour correction inc cut styling etc xx

Yes that is the best way i used to do one specific price but now break it down!
X amount per cleanse
X amount per colour remover
X amount per toner
Then your product costs are 100% covered x

Kind Regards, Ellis :)

It sounds reasonable; I paid £95 without cut.

In my salon (rural west lancs) this would be approx £105 minimum MINUS products! £35 per hour x 3 ... £50-£60 is ridiculously cheap. Charge what you are worth!

You don't want her as a client if she's being a tights ass thst won't appreciate ur skills

Seems cheap to me, I'm in north East England and our colour strips are anywhere from £120 to £180
A standard root touch up with cut and finish sis at least £60 xx

Im in a little town in South west England and I charge £55 for just a regular all over colour. Not even thinking of the colour correction!!
And I'm one of the less expensive salons!

I charge from £60 for colour correction too. I dont think its enough! Im a bit soft on charging tbh because I do a lot of friends hair. When i move though my prices are going right up. You dont need cheapskate clients like that, they will ALWAYS go back to box dye because its cheaper, regardless of how it affects their hair. Maybe put your prices up a notch, you might actually attract clients that are willing to pay that way.

Wow! No that's far to cheap in my opinion. Colour correction is very time consuming people are paying for your time aswell as the service up your prices for this Hun of clients don't like it let them go else where (cheaper) they will soon coming running back to you to re-fix it, then they will realise why you charge what you charge 👍 x
The problem is it ends up taking longer and costing more. Why don't people realise this?!

Latest posts

Back