Am I crazy to start my business now?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa_Schvartz

Reaction score
Hi All, I could really do with some honest advice please.

I am a trained beauty therapist and worked self employed/in spas/on a cruiseline however for the last 9 1/2 years I have been working in an office. I am so so unhappy to the point it makes me cry and have been for a good few years now. I have realised I need to stop moaning about it all the time and actually do something about it so I have decided to get back in to beauty, something I know I enjoy and that I am good at. Im in 2 minds at the moment whether I am going to rent somewhere or go mobile and am weighing up the options. Ive booked a few courses to freshen my skills up and I have a plan of how and where I am going to advertise and what im going to offer.

BUT……. am I completely crazy to make this huge change in the current circumstances? My plan was to start around November time so I could hopefully get some of the Christmas clients (fingers crossed Christmas isn't cancelled!!) Part of me is like your so miserable, its effecting the people around you, take the risk to make yourself happy then the other half of me is like don't be so bloody stupid, you've got a well paid job which is safe in an environment when so many people are losing theirs!

My job is quite intense and pretty stressful so keeping my current job and doing evening/weekends isn't really an option as after a day working I just don't have the headspace to be able to go and carry out treatments aswell.

Any words of advise would be really helpful, even if it is don't be so bloody stupid haha! Has anyone else taken similar risks that have paid off/not worked

Thanks xx

No you’re not crazy! Lots of people have taken time to reflect on their work life balance recently. It’s important to enjoy your work.

Those of us that have been caught with high overheads and zero income for months may well be struggling but it’s the perfect time to pick up bargains and negotiate great deals.

I’m relocating my business and basically setting up almost from scratch as I’m leaving the City Centre and moving to a village. I’ve approached a business broker to sell my business assets as otherwise I’ll have to rip everything out when I surrender my lease. It’s a great opportunity for someone who hasn’t remortgaged their house (like me). The business broker said he couldn’t cope with demand from people looking for opportunities and he was selling businesses that he thought would be a struggle.

I am a trained beauty therapist and worked self employed/in spas/on a cruiseline however for the last 9 1/2 years I have been working in an office. I am so so unhappy to the point it makes me cry and have been for a good few years now. I have realised I need to stop moaning about it all the time and actually do something about it so I have decided to get back in to beauty, something I know I enjoy and that I am good at. Im in 2 minds at the moment whether I am going to rent somewhere or go mobile and am weighing up the options. Ive booked a few courses to freshen my skills up and I have a plan of how and where I am going to advertise and what im going to offer.

BUT……. am I completely crazy to make this huge change in the current circumstances? My plan was to start around November time so I could hopefully get some of the Christmas clients (fingers crossed Christmas isn't cancelled!!) Part of me is like your so miserable, its effecting the people around you, take the risk to make yourself happy then the other half of me is like don't be so bloody stupid, you've got a well paid job which is safe in an environment when so many people are losing theirs!

My job is quite intense and pretty stressful so keeping my current job and doing evening/weekends isn't really an option as after a day working I just don't have the headspace to be able to go and carry out treatments aswell.

Any words of advise would be really helpful, even if it is don't be so bloody stupid haha! Has anyone else taken similar risks that have paid off/not worked

Thanks xx

A lot can be said for a job that makes you happy. I know a lot of people that work awful jobs and go on and on about how they are successful because they work all hours but because they are so successful they don’t have time for ‘things.’ Most common phrase they say is ‘well I can’t do that, I have a job.’ So snooty too. Thing is, if they were so successful they wouldn’t be working all those hours.

The most successful work hours they want in a job that either makes them happy or a ton of money..or both!

I’m not working right now and I think a lot of others will think Christmas a good time to start. I’m thinking I will start when nobody has any money after Christmas so I have a slow start. A whole year off to work on my mind and body and home and garden. Working on my mental health and as much at home physiotherapy for my hip as is doable.

I won’t be happy going back yet and I don’t feel safe.

But if you feel safe and do your research to make your location safe and it makes you happy, then that’s right for you:):)

Oo tricky question. It could be the perfect opportunity- if you have some money behind you to sustain you for a year - lots of opportunities . I worked self employed for 12 years 10 hour days 6 days a week - I rented a chair with 3 others - but the more successful we became the more space the landlord created and rented more desks ! As we were a combined shop front - instead of reaping the benefits everytime the cherry was ripe - I found I had to share it with more mouths! Plus points : no out lays other than rent ( percentage based and job satisfaction) obstacles : long hours, less family time and even though the busy periods paid off - I had to share the cherry when juicy ( holiday/Xmas period) so didn’t benefit - while the cherry biters kept leaving in quite periods - so was left to nurture the tree on my own ( plus existing therapists) ! I have now taken an employed job Term time - I can continue looking after my own clients ( my own tree) at home and as long as I have no pests the cherry is my own ! Just not as juicy but very healthy . 😂😂😂 if you can afford your own premises and rent space out to others ( over the Covid period) then I would Say go for it - if you rely on your income for bills then I would suggest- change your employment to something you enjoy ? I.e part time ? And beauty on the side ? X Keep the water flowing dont be tempted to light a fire and burn out ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Thanks xx
Hey hun you are not crazy

It is the best time im doing the exact same thing as im finsing it difficult to work for someone.
So all the best in your new endeavors

Thanks for the advise guys, ive made the decision and decided to take the plunge :) Bricking it is an understatement but im so motivated to get things going I cant wait!

I have been asking myself the same thing. I am ploughing money into a cabin in my garden to do holistic and beauty. It’s all completely new to me. I did training in the 90s but have have redone it recently. I had just bought my cabin then the virus hit so I am way behind where I thought I would be. I am really worried that I am doing it all at the wrong time.
I guess we both might be mad but at least we know we aren’t the only one.😁

I have been asking myself the same thing. I am ploughing money into a cabin in my garden to do holistic and beauty. It’s all completely new to me. I did training in the 90s but have have redone it recently. I had just bought my cabin then the virus hit so I am way behind where I thought I would be. I am really worried that I am doing it all at the wrong time.

We can do this :) ive taken the plunge and decided to go ahead with it, something good has to come out of 2020 surely!! Good luck :)

Thanks for the advise guys, ive made the decision and decided to take the plunge :) Bricking it is an understatement but im so motivated to get things going I cant wait!
Absolutely go for it ! I skipped into the house after a 10 hour shift with two full laundry bags and did part of an online course while my towels washed and dried. I’m smiling from ear to ear with my shutters up ready to go again this morning. I didn’t think the clients would come back as they have but our industry has been truly missed. Take deposits and respect your time is my advice but you have had oodles of experience and know how to drive a business. Good luck !

Absolutely go for it ! I skipped into the house after a 10 hour shift with two full laundry bags and did part of an online course while my towels washed and dried. I’m smiling from ear to ear with my shutters up ready to go again this morning. I didn’t think the clients would come back as they have but our industry has been truly missed. Take deposits and respect your time is my advice but you have had oodles of experience and know how to drive a business. Good luck !

That's so lovely to hear and fantastic that everything is going great for you. What courses are you doing? I am fully trained but as ive been out of it awhile im feeling like a sponge at the moment wanting to suck in as much knowledge as possible :)

I started up a new business venture while sitting at home feeling stressed at loosing all my clients during lockdown, I now make handmade soap and shampoo/conditioner bars. I’ve ploughed all my grant money into it but I’m loving it. I’m actually sat at the computer finalising my website now. One of my clients did tell me it was the wrong time to start a new business but when is the right time!? I’m back working from home with my clients but do this at night or when I have spare time.
if your job is getting you down then you need to make that leap and you already have the expertise and knowledge behind you. I think if your passionate about something it will be a success. Good luck 😉

I started up a new business venture while sitting at home feeling stressed at loosing all my clients during lockdown, I now make handmade soap and shampoo/conditioner bars. I’ve ploughed all my grant money into it but I’m loving it. I’m actually sat at the computer finalising my website now. One of my clients did tell me it was the wrong time to start a new business but when is the right time!? I’m back working from home with my clients but do this at night or when I have spare time.
if your job is getting you down then you need to make that leap and you already have the expertise and knowledge behind you. I think if your passionate about something it will be a success. Good luck 😉

Im relocating my business and it feels like I’m starting again. Congratulations on your new business and I think you have made an amazing entrepreneurial move in these times. It’s exactly about how to future proof your business in the event of another lockdown & as we witnessed working online and e-commerce is definitely a huge aspect of our industry now. Good luck!

That's so lovely to hear and fantastic that everything is going great for you. What courses are you doing? I am fully trained but as ive been out of it awhile im feeling like a sponge at the moment wanting to suck in as much knowledge as possible :)
Hi Lisa I am a Reiki Master as well as a therapist. My Reiki training was a few years ago. I found a Reiki course online with Udemy. It’s a refresher for me. Udemy do various courses on different subjects. I thought I’d try it as it was on offer at £10.99 ! My training cost hundreds of pounds.

I’m glad I’ve read this, I am in exactly the same position. I’ve been running someone else’s healthcare business for for ten years, but am throughly miserable doing it. It’s good money but I am not fulfilled. My plan is to get some qualifications and setup my own business, working out of my home. so far I am doing nails, but have my eye on makeup and massage next!

Hi how have you found starting up in your cabin I'm looking at doing the same thing so I can work around my young children. Although scary concept trying to rebuild clientèle when there's lots of amazing salons already established.
I'm researching to find my niche treatment to stand out.
Xx

Thanks xx
Lisa this is really exciting and the fact that you have a 'trade' that you're still interested in is enough to make the decision i think. I was in a very similar situation to you a few years back - ex cruise ship (not beauty trained), working in an office unfulfilled, so I spent a couple of years evenings & weekends training before taking the plunge. My office job didn't allow me to go part time (which would've been a safety blanket) but it meant that when I took the plunge it HAD to work. The amount of people from the office that said to me how they'd LOVE to do something else, bye weren't sure what they could go into....we're the lucky ones that we HAVE that trade. I hope you've still looking to go for it...and you know what there's always temping agencies and out of hours shift work so you can top up while you get going. It won't be a breeze and you'll do long hours particular while your're finding your feet in what clients what and what works for you too. I'm SO pleased I made the change because I no longer hate 5 days out of every 7 going to a job I find dull. One life so go claim what makes you happy. Best of luck 🤞xx

Latest posts

Back