Am I doing my business harm?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastwax

Reaction score
i set up my own salon just over a year ago and have had nothing but praise and rebooks, to my knowledge no complaints. i am practicaqlly always fully booked but more and more of my clients wher going to other salons for semi permanent eyelashes so i decided to do a course and start offering this service. so far ive only done lashes on my regulars who know ive only just done the course so im not fantastic and my speed isnt great and theyve been fine with that. my worry is i keep running late no matter how long i book out i just always seem to need more time and im really struggling with my infills. one of my regulars came in last week for her regular wax session and she only had about 10 lashes left on and asked me to remove them ( it had been 3weeks since her last infills ).
should i stop offering this service as at the minute im not really making any money on them as its taking so long, its stressing me out, im not happy with the treatment im giving and i dont want my regulars to think my treatments are going down hill ! but on the other hand if i stop providing this service and they are going else where there is the risk of them going to the other salon for the rest of their treatments.
what should i do ?:cry:

Why dont you get a few friends and family in to practice on? You can give them a load of business cards to give out when people ask them where they got their eyelashes done as well (and people will) The way I see it this way your getting practice in and your speed up and also promoting your business for when you are quicker at them. Hope that helps x

i have done a few family and friends its just im really struggling with time, im the only therapist at the moment and am working 40 hrs plus a week i dont drive so it takes me nearly an hour to get to work and i also have a 2 year old daughter so im already struggling to get the work life balance which also takes me onto should i hire some one ? how can you trust some one else ? im just so stressed out and run down at the moment i even contemplated jacking it all in the other day:cry: xx

Don't think about Jacking it all in, I'd give my hind teeth to be in your position at the moment!

I've not done the course yet but have a friend who has and she felt exactly the same as you - taking far too long but as with everything, the more you do the better you'll get, it wont take long, just think back to when you first started out as a beautician and how frightening that was, I bet all your other treatment you offer are a walk in the park now compared to the beginning, this will be the same, trust me. xx

i have done a few family and friends its just im really struggling with time, im the only therapist at the moment and am working 40 hrs plus a week i dont drive so it takes me nearly an hour to get to work and i also have a 2 year old daughter so im already struggling to get the work life balance which also takes me onto should i hire some one ? how can you trust some one else ? im just so stressed out and run down at the moment i even contemplated jacking it all in the other day:cry: xx

hya, please dont give up... i feel the same, im a newbie to the beauty industry only completed courses earlier this yr. i to am taking to long on treatments. nails enhancement im taking over 2 hrs also nail art and make-up im going over time. but with time im sure we will get quicker..i have 6 children and trying to set up my business is so frustrating at times. i keep wanting to give up and go bk to childminding.. but i keep on reminding myself why i did courses in the first place... because i love beauty ...
wish u all the best x:)

I woulnt give up on it. Practise makes perfect and you can only get better and faster the more you do it. At least you are taking your time at it and not doing a rush job, There is teething problems always with new treatments, Can you ring your trainer and get any advice from them?
I think as well when its your own business you do work longer hours than anyone else, ill have done 56 hrs by end of saturday!!! :eek: It feels a bit like groundhog day this week but im so glad the salons busy!! Good luck and stick in there!!:)

Don't give up. It is hard when you are trying to master a new treatment but I'm sure if you keep on practicing you will master it. I would love to be in your position, I am just restarting in this industry and trying to set up mobile and juggling my three children isn't easy. Employing another therapist maybe a good idea but yes I know what you mean about trusting them. If you do, then take plenty of time to make sure you choose the right person, getting them in for practice treatments on family and friends.
Keep your chin up and keep practicing when you can, but you also need to try and get your work/home time sorted as I bet that is causing you as much stress as the problems with your eyelashes.
Hth
Kizzy x

thank you so much everyone for your kind words. its nice to know im not the only one is this position. im definatley going to get someone to work part time just so i can practise more with the lashes and spend a bit more time at home with my daughter.
thanks again xx:)

Hi hun, several things come to mind, for timings, only book this service as your last appointment of the day that way you won't be stressing about running over and by not stressing you will find you will actually be quicker.
You could also advertise for someone to come in, self employed to do this service only for those clients who can't come to you at the end of the day.
Take a day of!!!! You sound as if you are run ragged at the moment, take a whole day and take your daughter to the zoo, or the sea side, it actually doesn't matter where you go so long as it's away from home, doesn't involve your business or anything to do with home life.
You just need to have some time to have some fun with your daughter.
Then when she's in bed, you have some 'me' time.
My favorite is to have a steaming hot bath, my music playing, a glass of wine and a ciggie and god help anyone who disturbs me:irked::lol:
Don't become a victim of your own success. You have good business savey and I totally agree with you, this service is wanted, so your salon needs to provide it, but there is nothing to say it has to be you personally who is providing it:hug:

When I first started doing lashes I thought - this is so hard I'm NEVER going to be able to do this.... However seriously just keep on going. It may be taking you time now but you will get better and really start to enjoy doing the treatment and without noticing it will take you less an less time. Get everyone in you know - family, friends, friends of friends, keep going and going at them and you will be fine it just takes practice and patience :hug:

I'm not going to suggest you give up lashes BUT if you were already fully booked, why did you want to offer another treatment? There are only so many hours in a day and it sounds like you are already very committed. I think when you are building your business it's good to try new treatments, see if you're good at them, see if your clients like them, see if they are going to be your forte... but if you are already successful and busy you can't just conjure up extra hours in the day. Do what you enjoy and what makes you money, not what brings you down.

Have to agree with Zoe's post. If you are struggling with your current workload and work/life balance, why make things more stressful? Perhaps taking on another person would help? They may also be able to offer this service possibly? We cannot always stretch ourselves to do everything. :hug:

I think it's absolutely fabulous you are offering this treatment. It's a hot service, no doubt.

If clients are going elsewhere for other services, they will eventually take all their business there.

Eyelashes aren't permanent, they fall out with natural shedding, do they understand this?

I am not an expert on lash extensions, I do know some therapists find a lash glue that sometimes works better than the one that comes in the kit.

Keep practicing, it will only get better :)

Latest posts

Back