Am I doing something wrong? Problems with enamel drying....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Perfect 10?

Reaction score
Hello All,

Hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question as it seems a pretty basic thing to be getting wrong but if I don't ask, I won't learn - so here goes.....

I'm practicing my manicures and pedicures at the moment and am having problems with the enamel marking and generally remaining quite soft. I've used either Ridge Out or Stickey as the base coat, then 2 coats of CND colour enamel followed by 1 coat of Super Shiney topcoat. When I completed my training a few weeks ago we weren't shown to wait between applying coats??

I did my own nails on sunday evening and even on monday afternoon they were still marking very easily - lots of "scatches" in them and the enamel still felt soft.

Any advice please?

Thanks, Kirsty :wink2:

You need to be applying 2 thin coats of enamel.

1-2 minutes after applying your top coat drop on some Solar Oil to each nail, it will help with the drying process as it inhibits oxygen from the nails.

hth's

the air dry top coat is also fab for quick drying I use solar oil after that, as Sandi said thin coats are the key thou ! hth x

practice hun its the only way, the coats do need to be thin, i think its one of the things that takes the longest time to perfect, you'll get there xxx
polish every hand that comes into your house !!:green: xxx

With most brands, drying time varies according to the colour of the enamel. Some colours take longer and others dry quicker.

the air dry top coat is also fab for quick drying I use solar oil after that, as Sandi said thin coats are the key thou ! hth x

I'm a CND Air Dry convert. I use that and CND's Dry & Shine and never have polish not drying problems. :)

I've recently discovered CND Heat Dry topcoat (just pop the nails under a 60w bulb for 3 minutes)

I use stickey base coat and two thin coats of polish and then the heat dry

I didn't really have a huge drying problem but it does make that difference with those that go home and peel potatoes or something equally mad:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hello All,

Hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question as it seems a pretty basic thing to be getting wrong but if I don't ask, I won't learn - so here goes.....

I'm practicing my manicures and pedicures at the moment and am having problems with the enamel marking and generally remaining quite soft. I've used either Ridge Out or Stickey as the base coat, then 2 coats of CND colour enamel followed by 1 coat of Super Shiney topcoat. When I completed my training a few weeks ago we weren't shown to wait between applying coats??

I did my own nails on sunday evening and even on monday afternoon they were still marking very easily - lots of "scatches" in them and the enamel still felt soft.

Any advice please?

Thanks, Kirsty :wink2:

Stickey makes a great base but don't apply too thickly.
Are you loading your brush properly? I'm just wondering with the enamel marking?? Don't overlaod the brush but make sure you get enough coverage...the second coat usually covers anything you may have slightly missed.
Again Super Shiney is a good topcoat...
Usually as you get the hang of things more you find you know when the timing is right and can move hand to hand easily but it takes a while to get the hang of.
BTW no question is ever a stupid one mate we've all been there x
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finishing-maintenance/11972-precision-polishing.html
Hope this is useful to you.

I've recently discovered CND Heat Dry topcoat (just pop the nails under a 60w bulb for 3 minutes)

I use stickey base coat and two thin coats of polish and then the heat dry

I didn't really have a huge drying problem but it does make that difference with those that go home and peel potatoes or something equally mad:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

As a matter of interest, have you tried this under your Minx lamp? Just wondering if it would work?

Thank you all for your replies.

I had a friend booked for a Pedicure last night - I paid particular attention to the thickness of my coats and it was MUCH better! Had a text from the client this morning to say they looked lovely and not a smudge in sight. I have yet to try the solar oil on top as I'm waiting til next week to place my next order with S2 (when I will have completed my foundation L&P!!).

I was also really pleased with the shape of my polish in that the gap was slight and consistently smooth too. I can definately see an improvement with each set I do - another manicure booked for this afternoon!

Thank you again.

Kirsty

As a matter of interest, have you tried this under your Minx lamp? Just wondering if it would work?
Yes it does (a tip from BevRose) 3 mins with that and everyone is reporting great results:)

Thank you all for your replies.

I had a friend booked for a Pedicure last night - I paid particular attention to the thickness of my coats and it was MUCH better! Had a text from the client this morning to say they looked lovely and not a smudge in sight. I have yet to try the solar oil on top as I'm waiting til next week to place my next order with S2 (when I will have completed my foundation L&P!!).

I was also really pleased with the shape of my polish in that the gap was slight and consistently smooth too. I can definately see an improvement with each set I do - another manicure booked for this afternoon!

Thank you again.

Kirsty
Excellent, well done you :hug:

Latest posts

Back