Am I doing this right - weft refits + Beauty Works

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmLou3003

Reaction score
So a lady contacted me last week about having her weft refitted. She had two rows, I thought fine this will take me half an hour. I am still fairly new having trained in sept but have done quite a few weaves.

The top row, although a bit matted was ok however the first micro ring by the ear was hanging down by about 2 inches and was a little matted so took me a while to cut the weft away. Not a massive issue.

But when i got to the bottom row WOW, severely matted! She asked "is this the worse you have seen" so I just joked and said "no" i didn't want to make her feel bad. There was no way I could brush through it though, honestly it was the worst matting i have ever seen, i was actually worried for her hair.

She said she would brush through it, and quite a lot of her hair came out in the brush but we got there. I advised that maybe we leave the weft and she go home and condition her hair, but she was happy to have the weft put back in. She looked a bit worried about how much hair had come out, but some of this was actually weft hair matted into her own hair.

The technician that did it for her, is a well known technician in my area, her hair work always looks beautiful. My lady said she had the weft in from December and had it refitted in Feb, but said it took the technician 15 mins and it was as matted then as it is now - how could she refit in 15 mins when its severely matted?! I was horrified.

When I do refit appointments, they are a full refit, it takes me usually about an hour, this took me nearly two because I spent so long trying to un-matt the poor ladies hair.

However, a big however, i asked her about her washing/drying routine, she said she uses herbal essences, i said not to, she also said she lets it 'dry naturally' i said she needs to dry it fully, i then gave her one of my after care sheets.

Now the beauty works weft, she said she wasn't that happy with it, she said it was very frizzy, i advised her to use oil and to dry it fully and this may take away some of the frizzyness, i think she assumed the hair would be the same from day 1, to day 50, i explained that the hair is real hair so it will act the same!

As much as I dont want to take another technicians business - when i see hair like i did last night i feel quite happy too! I just wondered though, if a refit takes me longer - am i doing it right?!

I take it it was a micro ring weft or LA Weave application? sounds to me like her previous stylist (going by the 15 minutes she had) just opened the rings and pushed them back up her hair, bunching the root section and causing matting to worsen. If she has had them in since December without a complete re-fit then i dread to think what her root section looked like. I always completely remove these types of weaves and re-apply so just keep doing what your doing. I would say about and hour to hour 15 is about right for a removal and re-fit of a weave (without any matting areas)

I take it it was a micro ring weft or LA Weave application? sounds to me like her previous stylist (going by the 15 minutes she had) just opened the rings and pushed them back up her hair, bunching the root section and causing matting to worsen. If she has had them in since December without a complete re-fit then i dread to think what her root section looked like. I always completely remove these types of weaves and re-apply so just keep doing what your doing. I would say about and hour to hour 15 is about right for a removal and re-fit of a weave (without any matting areas)
Yes it was a LA Weave. On one client i had i did try to open the rings and push them back up but i could see the hair matting and have never done it since, i would rather spend more time doing a refit that have to deal with someone's matted hair knowing i caused it! Hopefully she will come to me now rather than the other lady! x

Latest posts

Back